Skaljard's page: the n00bhugger build concept

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Opustus

Skaljard's page: the n00bhugger build concept

Post by Opustus » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:36 pm

I got this idea from playing in Skal for several hours. The place is great: the small village of Skaljard enclosed by the dangerous wilderness brings players together. It's interactive, n00bfriendly, fun, and immersive!

I've noticed a lot of epic levelled characters visit Skal to help people out of their vocation. This got me thinking that rather than bringing in the big guys, a lower level character could do the same job, accompanying new players and their characters to deal with the writs, showing the lay of the land, working as the local safari guide in a sense.

Another important facet of the character is that she needs to be impartial: she cannot take part in the power struggle of good and evil which is imminent on the island. As such, the build should either be: true neutral Fighter6/Rogue3 or Spellsword8/Fighter1. Yes, you stop levelling at level 9 in order to be able to actually join the expeditions rather than slapping the new player on the butt and wishing good luck out there.

The ability distribution for both builds as human
STR18 -> gift to 20
DEX10
CON14
INT14 -> gift to 16
WIS8
CHA8
Optional: Drop STR to 16 if you want more charisma or wisdom!

Feats, skills, and gear as Fighter/Rogue
Feats (9): Exotic weapon proficiency, Weapon focus (bastard), Expertise, Knockdown, Improved critical, Weapon spec (bastard), Power attack, Cleave, Great cleave
(There is no Blindfight since there aren't mobs with concealment at lower levels in Skal!)

Skills (86): Heal12, Craft weapon12, Craft armor12, Search12, Appraise11, Discipline9, UMD6, Lore2, Disable trap1, Open lock1

Gear: Have a separate gearset for rogue needs. Have a separate gearset with appraise. For helmet, enchant the Goggles of Minute Seeing, which is +5 lore and search. Weapon is an essenced Masterly steel bastard sword. Armour and shield are +1 AC and +1 STR. Remaining six parts are: +1 STR, +1 CON, +2 Search, +2 Heal, +2 Discipline.

Feats, skills, and gear as Wizard/Fighter
Feats (6): Still spell, Craft wand, Brew potion, Knockdown, Weapon focus, Improved critical

Skills (68): Heal12, Craft weapon12, Craft armor12, Search12 (rank 6 as cross-class), Discipline12, Appraise6 (rank 3 as cross-class), Lore2
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

StrykerMontgomery

Re: Skaljard's page: the n00bhugger build concept

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:33 pm

How strong of an essence? I am curious if you will be able to fulfill the lvl requirement of the weapon.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:55 pm

I don't think the essence is factored in afterwards to the level requirement of any item. I haven't encountered this issue with any of my characters.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:03 pm

Yup, essences no longer change item level requirement.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:13 am

Oh boy, I should know this, but I think lvl10 is the sweet spot for all-writ-friendly save for the patrols, help out Wryn, and Founder's cave.

Either way, I'd totally do lvl4 ranger (archer), lvl4 fighter, bard dip for this fun concept! Lots of fire power and stays out of the way for the most parts. I'd leave int and con at around 12 or 10 to boost dex and str higher.

Seems like a great concept for folks like me to play around with!

I would also take the gift of craft, thus have about 30 points for crafting distribution.
1 art craft, 18 tailoring, 1 herbalism, 10 forging for basic ingots, repair kits, tanning acids, and glass bottles. Covers most of the basic crafts.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:19 am

You two could end up allies and maybe even a faction lol

Before you know it, you have massive influence on the island and lvl 10 characters become Skal adventuring legends.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:17 am

Kenji, thanks for the input!

I'd definitely favour Rogue over Bard dump; the sneak attack is just beastly early on.

My character would pick up forging and invest enough to make mithril and greensteel gear (even if she weren't able to use it herself <.<). A Ranger9/Rogue1 could be sweet too, the summon is pretty robust with those iceberries.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:33 pm

You're right about rogue dips, those sneak attacks are too great to pass up! Taking AE up to 13 (with cha mod) will also allow the out-of-combat pacification of dual Malamutes (location FOIG). I remember using these to solo pretty much all of the contents on Skal.

I've also double checked a few of the writ levels, here's the list from what I checked, extrapolated, or remembered:

Code: Select all

Writ			Level	Max
Help Out Wryn		0~3	5
Founder's Cave		0~3	5
Patrol the Perimeter	0~5	7
Derelict Tin Mine	0~6	8
Goblins of the Weald	0~6	8
Subterranean Pool	4~9	11
The Bacchanhagen	4~9	11
Undeath in Ghostwood	4~9	11
Things from Below	4~9	11
Patrol the Tundra	5~10	12
Screeching Caves	5~10	12
Secure the Crossing	5~10	12
??? (Corpsefeast Gnolls, Gnipellnir)
The Minotaur Caves	9~15	17
Master of Monsters	10~16	18
Raid the Harbage	10~16	18
Turns out, you want to be either lvl 8 or lvl11!

I guess a good spread would be Ranger 6 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 1, or Ranger 10 / Rogue 1 for archers.

Definitely just lvl6 Ranger and 2 Rogue for the lvl8 spread, evasion from rogue, animal companion from ranger.

Edit: For the FE/SE, here's what I'd pick:
Ranger 10:
Lvl1: FE: Goblinoid
LVl5: FE: Giants / SE: Undead
Lvl10: FE: Monstrous Humanoid / SE: Constructs

Ranger 6:
Lvl1: FE: Goblinoid
Lvl5: FE: Monstrous Humanoid / SE: Giants

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:01 pm

If both of you hop in this you could do both lvls!

Otherwise id recommend 11. It can be more difficult to find parties at higher lvls and bad builds have harder times soloing writs at higher levels.

Id also highly recommend having at least having good umd in your build if this going to be a long term fiasta. Nothing like lvl 11 characters using up to 9th lvl scrolls and 6th lvl wands (since you will accumulate unused wealth over time).

If you playes your cards/tools right, you could still defend, make an impact, something important to your character in higher level conflict. Of course i guess the spellsword build would not even need umd for that. (Highly recommend brewing potions with spellsword if you can afford the feat to help other players out who dint habe umd and generate good income off stuff like true strike)

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:19 pm

Some thoughts on a n00b coaching character

Classes:
You're going to have to come up with a versatile build that can cater to assist/cover a wide variety of characters and playstyles. So something specialized might not be too helpful when your class/build/weaknesses are the same as the people you're helping. Ex: A dual wielding ranger/rogue isn't going to be too helpful when you need a tank or buffer, rather than a dual wielding dps character.

Some suggestions with that in mind:
Bard/rogue; Bardsong buffing/curse song debuffing, minor bard buffs, wands, and the ability to AC tank and deal with traps will make you rather valuable to any party.

Healer:
Mostly on buffing/supporting, but the lack of good healing options on skal would make your support a much needed commodity.

Barbarian:
Tank that damage. Make use of guard, high HP and your ability to take damage. If you don't plan on leaving Skal and sticking to low levels. MAYBE (emphasis on maybe) consider the path with the tribal summons to help with party support.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:31 pm

The experience varies from time to time with rangers, but rangers are hardly a pure dps class. Quite the opposite, it has all the versatility and utility when played right. Folks should also know that most (if not all) of the times when there are any ranger levels involved in my posts, it will most likely be ranged archer path.

Archer Ranger/Rogue or Ranger/Fighter/Rogue split can do the following:
AE out-of-combat some animals that are great for tanking (Rothes, bears, Malamutes with 300+ hp and 40AC x2)
Animal companion (wolf with fear howl vs will, bear/dire wolf with knockdown spam), applicable to dedicated rangers only
Enough skill points to dump into Lockpicking/Disarm Trap/Search (Dex + 20 + base 13 can deal with all the locks, doors, and traps on the island)
Shoot things dead from afar without clumping up with the frontline melee PCs or summons
Ability to use +ranger spell slot lvl3 to gain access to higher level spells without having to have the levels. A lvl 4 ranger can cast circle 1-3 spells for as long as it has the wisdom. That means bladethirst for the melee mundane PCs, elemental protect and cat's grace for those that need it, stealth buffs, too.
UMD available from rogues, too.
The stealth (with camo + one with the land) means it can sneak past many encounters should things go awry. I've commando hauled entire party of bodies back to town this way by sheer corner sneaking.

Rangers may seem like a dps class at first glance, but it's almost always a well-rounded class that can cater to almost every need, a fairly versatile class if played right. Except for the healing part, a healer is always welcomed to any parties, and should be considered for this build, too! Wizards that specializes in illusion with phantasmal death and great amount of buff/haste is also very valuable in party play.

The extra dps always helps, too. I found too many times the melee will be clumped in narrow pathways that they resort to ranged weaponry of which they are not specialized in. A dedicated ranger character will be a boon to the party, that and all the utility it brings.

Zahlfire

Post by Zahlfire » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:57 am

I like this idea, as a whole. I think I'll roll up a level 11 healer for Skal.
The GrumpyCat wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:48 am
Perhaps the takeaway is not to go 'Ugh. Lesbians... we should cull them.'
Currently plays: N/A

Who to PM and When

Feel free to PM me with Lore questions!

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:36 am

After giving much thought (not that much), 10 Ranger / 1 Rogue is definitely the way to go compared to 6/4/1 split.

A net gain of 1 damage vs fav. enemy and 2 extra feats (saves) from Fighter dip at the loss of Damask Bundles, better animal companion, more skill points, woodland stride, and a circle 2 spell slot is not worth the trade-off.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:27 am

Totes, the companions are tough at early levels. Have you already made the character?

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:02 pm

That I have! Here's the planned stat spread and feats:
Str 11 | Dex 18 (Gift) | Con 16 (gift) | Int 14 | Wis 13 | Cha 8
Human Ranger
1: Dodge, Mobility, FE: Goblinoid
3: WF: Longbow
4: Dex +1
6: Toughness
8: Dex +1
9: Improved Crit: Longbow
11: Rogue 1, Open Lock/Disarm Trap/Tumble/UMD skill dump
12: Iron Will, Str +1 (Delevel from 12 if lower lvl writ help needed)

Trade Skills:
30 Tailoring
1 Art Crafting
1 Herbalism

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:37 pm

bumping this again because I love the concept.

Anyone have any good crafting builds to provide quality products that skaljardians would buy following this format of staying at level 11? I think you'd need to go to level 12 to get that second tier though. I also haven't made any enchanted stuff with dweomercrafting so I don't know how it works completely. hopefully a good craft/trade build that can grind on its own as well to actually be able to get the stuff

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:44 pm

The following suggestion might require the player to make bigger investment than one'd usually go:
Level a character all the way to lvl30, with the following distribution:
Alchemy 22
Forging 18
Tailoring 18
Herbalism 11
Art Crafting 1

Then proceed to delevel back to 11 or 8.

For rangers, you can level it to lvl30, craft the ranger runic vestment, and then delevel back to 8 or 11.

This way, you still get to keep your trade skill distribution, fully decked out in equipment, and still be able to help out in most writs.

It might be very meta-gamey, however, so it's up to the DMs' discretion whether this is allowed or not.

RandomX

Post by RandomX » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:06 pm

In both of my times in Skal, I must say as hard as it is to find a "good" tailor, the most in demand craft is a gem cutter. if you can cut gems you will be the most sought out person in all of Skal, of course me being a tailor on the mainland now get cutters have always been my best friend. overall the concept is awesome and I look forward to seeing how this plays out when I vacation back to Skal

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:37 pm

Kenji3108 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:44 pm
The following suggestion might require the player to make bigger investment than one'd usually go:
Level a character all the way to lvl30, with the following distribution:
Alchemy 22
Forging 18
Tailoring 18
Herbalism 11
Art Crafting 1

Then proceed to delevel back to 11 or 8.

For rangers, you can level it to lvl30, craft the ranger runic vestment, and then delevel back to 8 or 11.

This way, you still get to keep your trade skill distribution, fully decked out in equipment, and still be able to help out in most writs.

It might be very meta-gamey, however, so it's up to the DMs' discretion whether this is allowed or not.
You're a mad as a hatter, Kenji.

RandomX, will you be playing a n00bhugger, too? n00bhuggers should definitely organise into a union if this project takes off.