Feylock with sorc dip for more infini spells.

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Hinty

Feylock with sorc dip for more infini spells.

Post by Hinty » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:10 am

I have seen numerous posts about how taking the arcane caster classes along with feylock is all kinds of broken, although I have not seen an specifics as to why but I was curious about one possibility.

If I am building a feylock, and I have greater spell focus feats, is it worth taking the three level dip into sorcerer to get the Infini spell casts for the focuses?

Specifically I am looking at possible GSF in Divination, Enchantment or Illusion. Inifini casts of See Invis would be invaluable for a character that otherwise would not get the spell, and blind/deaf and Colourspray are certainly thematically fitting to my mind.

What I am mostly wondering is, is it mechanically broken as in, character will be unplayable?

Commissar

Re: Feylock with sorc dip for more infini spells.

Post by Commissar » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:29 am

Feylocks are reasonably solid to play; so having 27 levels instead of 30 won't be the end of the world. But that's pretty much all you'll be - a level 27 feylock.

You'll get your infinite spells but they won't be at all effective. I believe that the infinite spells scale off your sorcerer level; so your blindness is pretty much never going to actually work. Same with colour spray. And even if they did, they're strictly worse than blasting things. You could, say, take abjuration and divination for elemental protection and see invisibility, but be warned that they'll be dispelled if anyone sneezes in your general direction.
May you live in interesting times.
Manticore, on Sun Elves wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure the racism is like a mating ritual or something. Like plumes on birds.

Efflorescence

Post by Efflorescence » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:07 pm

You have UMD and skill points to spare so you'd be better served taking advantage of wands etc than dipping sorcerer. Dipping a pure caster class almost never works anyway.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:14 pm

Sorcerer is probably the worst class you could possibly dip into as a feylock.

You're not getting any new languages
You're not getting any new skills for skilldumping
There is maybe 1 or 2 spells worth getting that you won't have access to with a handful of sorc levels, all of which are easily found on wands/scrolls/potions
You're not getting bonus feats like a wizard or fighter
You already have access to UMD, which will let you cast a vast majority of low level spells from items