Bard/PDK/paladin

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

DreadArtemis

Bard/PDK/paladin

Post by DreadArtemis » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:08 pm

Hello again. I was looking at making a Bard/PDK. Was considering putting some paladin there. I was also looking at the harper paragon it seems they get a lot of the paladin abilities.
The bonuses that PDK gives to hit and damage I was curious if they stacked with the ones that Bard song grants as well. I figured this would be a good support character that also can deal some damage himself if I have no one to group with. I was considering 16 bard/10 PDK/ 4 paladin for the end look for this guy.

Alternatively I could go 15 bard/10 PDK/5 harper paragon. Anyone have any experience with a charater like this ? Is it a trainwreck or could it hold up leveling by itself a little bit too. Thanks so much!

TimeAdept

Re: Bard/PDK/paladin

Post by TimeAdept » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:47 pm

Going teens but sub 20 bard is rough because you lose Lasting Inspiration. Going teens but sub 20 paladin hurts for the same reason. Mixing bard/paladin/PDK is therefore pretty difficult. Paladin in general only wants to low level dip with PDK but then also needs a tumble-type 3rd class to mix with it, making it hard in this post kensai world to justify. If Kensai still existed I'd say do 16 fighter 4 Paladin 10 PDK as some sort of weird alternate Brycer. These days you could look at something like a 16 rogue 10 PDK 4 Paladin. I feel like you're best served here by having a core non paladin class and using Paladin just as a dip. Unfortunately Bard as the core in the tri-class here isn't very good, IMO.

20 bard/10 PDK Valiant can swing AB and AC monumentally in the course of two rounds for an entire party to the tune of 10+ AB/AC between AB boosts and penalties and AC boosts and penalties. You're correct that the PDK stuff stacks with Bard, so Valiant is a core pickup here that really hammers home the AC and AB inequality Bard forces on enemies.

The harper paragon build is nice, but again, loses Lasting Inspiration which is rough. It would be functional but missing core Bard powers.

DreadArtemis

Re: Bard/PDK/paladin

Post by DreadArtemis » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:55 pm

Perhaps I will skip on the paladin then. 20 bard/10PDk might be what im looking for then. The goal was to have a character that inspired and made all his allies tougher and that seemed like a good match. The paladin part was a little greedy for saves :) and for the profiencies.
I will look at a couple more things then perhaps I will try that. I figure I will get all kinds of goodies anyways from that build like tumble, UMD, and the song. The bards weapon selection is not what I wanted but I think I can make do.