Spellsword Monk?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

DreadArtemis

Spellsword Monk?

Post by DreadArtemis » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:41 am

do the spellsword imbues happen to work on gloves/gauntlets. I know that gloves aren't usually affected by these things, but just asking. I was curious if anyone has played a spellsword monk (only a splash in monk), and if they have had any success with it. I was thinking either that or a Healer Cleric path with a splash of monk. I feel like the healer cleric will be tankier with the overhealing companion, although the concept of an arcane magic using monk of Shar (Dark Moon style) seems like a good concept.

I am leaning towards the spellsword monk for the cool factor, although I imagine both concepts could be entertaining to play.

Thanks for the future suggestions!

EDIT: I just reread the Wiki and saw they don't apply to gloves, but would love to hear your other ideas for this type of character

One Two Three Five

Re: Spellsword Monk?

Post by One Two Three Five » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:54 am

Nope. Monk/Spellswords usually single wield kamas but I'm pretty sure that combo got nerfed.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

DreadArtemis

Post by DreadArtemis » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:57 am

What about duel wielding kamas? I fell like that will be an exercise in burning GMW scrolls to stay competitive? with flurry at least I will have plenty of attacks?

Or perhaps a quarterstaff?

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:25 am

Actually, is there anything stopping you from making a quarterstaff spellsword/monk? Mechanically speaking. Build wise thats some nasty stat spreading you need to figure out.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:29 pm

I believe you are supposed to get only one infused spell damage per flurry (max 3 per round).

Monk probably go single kama so the off hand is open for the bonus shield ac that spellblades are supposed to get with an open off hsnd. Quarter staff shouldnt grant that.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

The1Kobra

Post by The1Kobra » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:29 pm

Going Quarterstaff means you don't get the spellsword bonus offhand AC (same with kamas, I think). Still, you can still truck 9 attacks per round and with two imbues adding +1d12 damage that can add up really quickly. If you go dex based you can still get crazy high AC (mine is projected to get 63 dual wielding, without expertise), so it shouldn't matter overmuch.

Mine admittedly went dual katanas instead. Less effective I think but oh well.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:32 am

The1Kobra wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:29 pm
Going Quarterstaff means you don't get the spellsword bonus offhand AC (same with kamas, I think). Still, you can still truck 9 attacks per round and with two imbues adding +1d12 damage that can add up really quickly. If you go dex based you can still get crazy high AC (mine is projected to get 63 dual wielding, without expertise), so it shouldn't matter overmuch.

Mine admittedly went dual katanas instead. Less effective I think but oh well.
where is this 1d12 coming from? I thought imbue only applied once per flurry? This spellsword get a recent workover?

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:42 am

That's the on-hit property. The basic extra damage from imbues still applies on every hit.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:14 am

Baron Saturday wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:42 am
That's the on-hit property. The basic extra damage from imbues still applies on every hit.
I never saw this basic on hit damage wiki. I thought all the damage was on hit. Ah well, now i know.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:46 pm

In the imbue properties table, the damage listed on the right side applies on every hit. The special effects listed on the left side are the ones that happen only once per flurry.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:20 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:46 pm
In the imbue properties table, the damage listed on the right side applies on every hit. The special effects listed on the left side are the ones that happen only once per flurry.
If only I knew lol

Ah well.

Its too bad arelith doesnt allow stackable spells on weapons, since you know.. that balance change was done when a plus 2 was top tier.

The Greater Good

Post by The Greater Good » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:06 pm

If you play a paladin you can stack all sorts of spells.
Monte Cook wrote:The idea here is that the game just gives the rules, and players figure out the ins and outs for themselves -- players are rewarded for achieving mastery of the rules and making good choices rather than poor ones.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:18 pm

The Greater Good wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:06 pm
If you play a paladin you can stack all sorts of spells.
But you can't light your sword on fire with darkfire with keen to boot. You can though just have a greensteel word with flame essence and and holy avenger on it though (along with bless and some sonic one?)

The1Kobra

Post by The1Kobra » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:35 pm

I thought that you could only imbue your weapons with wizard spells?

Otherwise you could then splash 3 levels of spellsword on a bard for example, and then cast ice storm to give your weapon 1d8 cold, which doesn't make a lot of sense.