Alternate Spellswords

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

One Two Three Five

Alternate Spellswords

Post by One Two Three Five » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:43 pm

I know 23/4/3 is the right way, but are there any that work otherwise? Barb-spellswords? CoT ones? PDK?
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Opustus

Re: Alternate Spellswords

Post by Opustus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:08 pm

CoT ought to be decent. You could also go DEX Spell23/Monk3/Fighter4; gets more AC and attacks per round but less damage. Spellsword25/Ranger5 should be fine, too; it can change to dualwield, exchanges one pre-epic feat for an epic feat, has more CL, has only two less AC compared to 23/4/3 and no UMD but that isn't a big deal.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:44 pm

I wouldn't use ranger personally, as you need 9 ranger levels at least to effectively duel wield. The runic ranger leathers also have an increased arcane spell failure I think, so you'd need still spell to effectively cast wearing those. You COULD take token ranger levels to skilldump. Discipline (obvious choice), hide/ms (sneaky spellsword) and animal empathy (no summons for spellswords? No problem!) come to mind

You could make a dex based spellsword using barb levels, I'd imagine. Barbs pick up uncanny dodge, and you can use taunt to further lower your opponents AC to help with the midlevel BAB growth spellswords get.

PDK needs CHA, so you might be splitting your stats a little too much there

Harper scout comes to mind for skilldumping and stackable cats grace with the default class for a dex based spellsword, and maybe the harper mage class if you wanted to rub out a quick auto quicken I.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:03 pm

PDK doesn't require CHA outside of Valiant or Protector (can't remember) but with the feat cost, low level into it, and no summon the benefits would be slim. And yus, the ranger dualwield would be very situational and I just realised you'd need to wear light armour when you'd want to use greensteel chain (unless there are better choices I don't know about?).

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:01 pm

So CoT or PDK maybe but almost certainly a hard no on anything else?

What about weapons? I know rapier/scim are standard now, and bastard sword was popular for a while, but if I wanted to do, say, a scythe or greatsword, would that be even close to decent, or is it like two-handing on every other character?
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:31 pm

If I rated the options, comparing them to the 23/4/3 standard:

1. Spell23/Fighter4/BardorRogue3
2. Same with CoT: two less damage, more saves.
3. Dex Spell/monk/fighter: more AC and attacks with monk UBAB, but less damage.
4. Str Spellsword25/ranger5: one less regular feat, one more epic feat, two less AC, more CL.
5. With pdk: probably very bad, not enough feats pre-epic, poor synergy with pdk due to no summon.

The tradeoff wielding a two-handed weapon is: +2 ab, +damage, -4 AC. It is doable, but most would argue it's less good.

The1Kobra

Post by The1Kobra » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:38 pm

One build I've been looking at is 23/4/3 Wizard/Paladin Or Blackguard/Rogue or Bard. STR based, but has some CHA to it. The projected build I made works very nicely with drow.

It should handle like the STR based fighter ones except you now get to use divine might and divine shield for damage and Uber AC.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:25 am

I feel like Konan the Librarian should be a thing.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again