Fighter or CoT?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

msterswrdsmn

Fighter or CoT?

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:07 pm

I'm trying to figure out which of these two would compliment a bard-based build the most. STR is the main stat, with CHA and CON fighting for the place of a secondary stat. Whichever wins out depends on the class I choose as a secondary class. The pre-epic focus is probably going to be something like 16 bard/4 multiclass, with at least 21 bard levels at 30 for lasting insipiration.

Fighter
Pros
-More consistant, non-buff reliant damage with weapon specialization
-One extra bonus feat compared to CoT bonuses (level 1 of fighter)

Cons
-Nothing remarkable gained outside of weapon specialization (which is admittedly, very nice)
-Technically one less "free" bonus feat avaliable, as 2 feat slots are reserved for weapon specalization feats

Divine Champion
Pros
-Higher CHA mean I can effectively use Divine Wrath and to a lesser extent, Lay on Hands.
-Boost to saving throws every 2 levels

Cons
-Even more reliant on buffs and special abilities
-Slight HP loss, as i'd be focusing more on CHA than CON.

TimeAdept

Re: Fighter or CoT?

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:19 pm

Fighter - an extra feat vs CoT, some AC. Just more solid all aorund. And the option of taking wep specs if you can fit them.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:37 pm

Fighter. You can make up the save deficiency with gear, and DPS is king here, so you'll want WS/EWS.

I'm playing a CoT, and Divine Wrath is in desperate need of love, before it can be considered a good option. If you're in a group, even with it on, you're completely outshined by a dedicated damage dealer, and you have to throw away a round just turning it on, which costs you positioning, so you waste the next round fighting past your own party members to reach what you want to hit. If you're solo, and you don't already do loads of damage with a good chance to hit, the bonuses from Divine Wrath don't make that big of a difference, and they don't last very long either. On top of all of that, the cooldown means that you're going to be able to use it once, maybe twice, in a trip. Pop it at the wrong time, and you don't have it when you get to the boss.

Just do enormous amounts of damage. It's boring, but it really is the solution to just about everything, here.

On the other hand, CoT is way more fun to RP.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:57 pm

Bard20/Fighter5/CoT5 or Bard20/CoT10 sound decent for people who don't want to play Bardadin.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Frankly

Post by Frankly » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:08 am

Just go fighter and tske the save feats. Then you can use your soft cappex +20 saves for gear, spellcraft, and protection from spells whils the feats bring your hard cap up and allow you to break 40 when buffed

Elaetheus
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Elaetheus » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:51 am

Agree with the fighter vote. CoT unfortunately does not seem overly interesting right now, especially as a side multiclass with less than 10 levels.

Only reason would be RP. Then again, if you want use your CHA for damage/armor/saves, maybe a few levels of pally/bg can serve better.