Cookie-cutter build links

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Baron Saturday

Cookie-cutter build links

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:48 pm

This is hopefully temporary as part of the transition from one cookie-cutter steward to another, but I'm noticing that almost all the builds that are hosted on Google docs are giving access denied messages when clicked.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Jack Oat

Re: Cookie-cutter build links

Post by Jack Oat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:20 pm

All the links that don't work were my builds, and I decided to take a step back from build stuff. All build stuff. It's been something I've been too focused on and was doing bad stuff to me. So I privatized all the docs to remove my name from the discussions. Others who are mechanically savvy are more than welcome to reproduce the builds and the links can be changed in the various media they're found in (discord, forums, etc.).

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

flower

Post by flower » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Jack Oat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:20 pm
All the links that don't work were my builds, and I decided to take a step back from build stuff. All build stuff. It's been something I've been too focused on and was doing bad stuff to me. So I privatized all the docs to remove my name from the discussions. Others who are mechanically savvy are more than welcome to reproduce the builds and the links can be changed in the various media they're found in (discord, forums, etc.).
Nothing wrong with that and especially as They are documents in your own storage.

I just was wondering days ago why it suddenly is not opening :D

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Jack Oat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:20 pm
Any reason you didn't leave them up so build archives arnt a repository of dead links? Let people make copies to edit.

If you want to step away that's fine but the people used those builds logged on to see their leveling guide gone and don't know what to do, and those of us helping them have to puzzle out what the build was before we can tell them what to take next level. Stepping away doesn't require scorching the earth.

Please restore them.
\

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:33 pm

I don't know what the status of this "transfer" is (I have not been paying attention to the forums), but please read my post in the Slanty Shanty.

sad_zav

Post by sad_zav » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:55 pm

It was his right to delete the links. I say this as someone that's probably going to be tasked with recreating the builds. The entitlement thrown Jack's way is not cool; I get the frustration, but we can rebuild them. We have the technology.
Currently plays Peregrine Gwil and Rick Snyder.

Formerly played Mel Aran, Antoine Moreau, and Zanril.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:33 pm

sad_zav wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:55 pm
It was his right to delete the links.
This.
sad_zav wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:55 pm
I say this as someone that's probably going to be tasked with recreating the builds. The entitlement thrown Jack's way is not cool; I get the frustration, but we can rebuild them. We have the technology.
Yeah. Like I said there are people skilled enough to rebuild them. Zav, I can throw you the builds or whatever and you can host them/make whatever edits you see fit, if you want.

I'm just really weary from too many years of effort on this stuff. A lot of the sentiment from your post, Thoth, is the same reason I quit.

I started building and helping people with builds as a labor of love. The love has gone away and it's turned into just labor, which I do plenty of IRL. Call my shutting the links down spiteful or petty or whatever, sure. I just want to be done with it.

Edit: I'm going to make them public again buy hand over administrative/editing permissions to Zav and, if deemed fit, others. Forgot that those permissions were a thing.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:52 pm

Yeah. I made that Cookie Cutter thread and literally one person said "Thank you." Can't imagine what life must be like for the Arelith Devs and DMs. *shudder*

Anyway, I still have yet to receive a volunteer--perhaps understandably. But I'll be checking my inbox.

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:39 pm

Dr. B wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:52 pm
Yeah. I made that Cookie Cutter thread and literally one person said "Thank you." Can't imagine what life must be like for the Arelith Devs and DMs. *shudder*

Anyway, I still have yet to receive a volunteer--perhaps understandably. But I'll be checking my inbox.
Thanks for all of your hard work, this also goes to all the @GitGud folks on discord and folks who bothered to help me to get a better understanding at builds and the current meta.

I also wanted to add that there is a new build for 20Ftr/7WM/3Ro on discord build dump that replaces the Overwhelming Crit for extra +2 AB/Dmg, the numbers turn out to be 31% superior when the 49AB goes up against a 58AC opponent.

Spreadsheet link: 4th tab
Last edited by Kenji on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:41 pm

Most of those builds allow for variation. The str WM comes in OWC and non-OWC flavors--what you're describing is basically Cortex's "All around WM". The next steward of that thread can choose to include it there if s/he wants.

And you're welcome! :D

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:13 pm

Dr. B wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:52 pm

pm sent
\