NEED HELP: Orog Sorcerer Build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

hakkanwarrior

NEED HELP: Orog Sorcerer Build

Post by hakkanwarrior » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:10 pm

Hello. I've decided to make a badass orog sorcerer to help the horde. I do want to get epic enchanting but that's about all i require. Does anyone know which feats/skills to get at which levels or if I should multi class? Thanks

StrykerMontgomery

Re: NEED HELP: Orog Sorcerer Build

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:16 pm

What parts about being a sorceror do you want being sorceror over being say a warlock or warlock blackgaurd? Are you out for spells spell power or interested in melee prowess and which is more important if you had to choose?
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

hakkanwarrior

Post by hakkanwarrior » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:36 pm

initially i wanted spell power. but I am open to anything as long as I get epic enchanting

Alox

Post by Alox » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:38 pm

epic enchanting requires circle 9 spells, divine or arcane

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Since you're playing an orog, I would probably suggest sorc 27/BG 3. The +4 str and free power attack means you don't need to invest much to meet the BG prereqs.

Starting stats:
Str 13 (11 before orog bonus)
Dex 6 (8 before orog penalty)
Con 16
Int 14 (12 before orog bonus)
Wis 6 (8 before orog penalty)
Cha 19 (17 before orog bonus)
Everything dumped into Cha as you level.

Grab GSF Conjuration ASAP. GSF Abjuration is also highly recommended. BG levels would be taken 27-29 (I think?) for a discipline skill dump, so you'll need to take cleave before then. Aside from that, max out concentration and spellcraft (for truly insane saves v spells), cross-class hide to 5, CC tumble to 15, and... yeah, we're reaching the limits of the advice I can give RE: casters.

I will note that I believe enchantment is being looked at by the dev team, so by the time you get to epic levels, ESF Enchantment might not work the way it does currently. I may be mistaken about this, however.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

hakkanwarrior

Post by hakkanwarrior » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:58 pm

oh the way enchanting works is going to change?? i might want to hold off on enchanting then...

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:49 pm

Baron?

Why not last 3 lvl for skill dump? Is it because wanting lvl lvl 30 for a caster feat or something?

Baron gave you a pretty straight forward caster build that does work for wanting to be spellcaster based. Those conjuration spell focuses will allow to solo a lot better for when a buddy is not around. You have to be very selective/picky as a sorceror what spells you take (greater spellfocus cinjuration will also allow you to cast acid arrow unlimited amounts of tine)

If you know you want to be taking epic nuke spells then greater spell focus (you will need epic spell focus) will also give you unlimited magic missles per day which is a nice touch while your summon or buddy tanks

(if you never solo and prefer lower level spells to be buffs spells then greater spell focus evocation over conjuration right away might be more useful if you wanted to be a nuker. Keep in mind your friends can just drink potions rather than you using up your limited known spell list, so your summons will probably be more useful and greater conjuration focus with acid arrow olus buffed summons does give you the most bang for your buck).

TL;DR:

Do what Baron says, be picky about your spell selection and remember wands/potiins are out there for common buff spells. Hold/dominate person/monster spells are enchantment spells.
Transmutation focuses can make said same buffs stronger though and allow you to transport your horsdif you get the epic focus for that line. Epic conjuration also allows you to summon players.

If you are worried about enchanting being wonky, i think war/feylock can very much be for the horde.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:48 pm

StrykerMontgomery wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:49 pm
Baron?

Why not last 3 lvl for skill dump? Is it because wanting lvl lvl 30 for a caster feat or something?
Honestly, just because I figured losing 1 point of disciple was better than losing 3 spellcraft. I'm not sure how the epic feat progression needs to break down on a sorcerer as I don't play them and have never built one myself.

Can anyone confirm if enchanting is being looked at?
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

hakkanwarrior

Post by hakkanwarrior » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:22 pm

if its not being looked out i will go sorc. if it is i will go fiendlock

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:43 pm

On a sorc make sure you take extend, empower & maximize. Practically Infinite IGMS castings at your finger tips.

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:59 pm

If you're looking for a good Orog build who could enchant, you could try Bard/Fighter/Blackguard. Though fitting those feats in would take away something else you need more.

Not to talk you out of sorcerer but you can really only focus in one or two schools with the limited feats, especially as non-human, and enchantment is not a top choice as far as your casting goes. It's not going to make the character unplayable or anything but you may wish you'd taken something else later on. You could always put off taking the focus feats until later to decide, they're not good for enchanting until level 15 anyway.

I'd actually suggest a Spellsword using the Orog bastard sword. It's not the optimal spellsword or optimal orog choice but it would still be very capable.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:08 pm

Not an active contributor, but I am still privy to a lot of conversations.

I'm fairly sure that enchanting is not actively being looked at, though that doesn't preclude it from being changed a little down the road.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:46 pm

Ork wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:43 pm
On a sorc make sure you take extend, empower & maximize. Practically Infinite IGMS castings at your finger tips.
While every caster should take extend spell, IGMS itself can't be extended. If you wanna maximize the amount of IGMS you have to cast per rest, you'll need to take still or silent spell in addition to empower and maximize.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:01 pm

I mean yeah. Extend isn't for IGMS but a mandatory feat for a caster. And those are the only metamagics I'd recommend. You don't need 4 spell levels of IGMS ..unless you do.

Umskiptar

Post by Umskiptar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:59 pm

Wytchee wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:46 pm
While every caster should take extend spell, IGMS itself can't be extended. If you wanna maximize the amount of IGMS you have to cast per rest, you'll need to take still or silent spell in addition to empower and maximize.
Extended Mass Haste is big mood.