Monk/Rogue vs Fighter/Rogue/Weapon Master

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Mortael

Monk/Rogue vs Fighter/Rogue/Weapon Master

Post by Mortael » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:29 pm

I am thinking about rolling a fighter class, so I was thinking of asking you guys what the pros/cons are for each class and what could potentially be fun for either of them. Hope that's not too vague a question!

Conversations With Your Car Alarm

Re: Monk/Rogue vs Fighter/Rogue/Weapon Master

Post by Conversations With Your Car Alarm » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:17 pm

Mechanically, FTR/WM/Rog is generally stronger (depending on skill and build). More damage, good AC, and above average saves. While Monk tends towards a lowish HP tank role, but can be dangerous if played so.

Both can be built a dozen ways. And both can be very fun to play. For WM, you can go Overwhelming Critical for massive damage, Dual Wield for massive damage, Two Handed for massive damage, or generalist with damn good saves and above average damage. You can get stealth, or Taunt and Spellcraft, and other skill options. Monk can be done to get glowing eyes, to get EWS, or to get HiPS.

Leveling experience for me is relativly the same, I have an easy time leveling both. Monk is far more gear dependant, and you'll want adamantine damage gloves as soon as humanly possible along with DEX/WIS gear. It sucks leveling until you get either addy gloves or +3 Hin gloves with a +4 essance. On the other hand WM can get by with STR gear and a level appropriate swword for a long time.

If it was me, I would play what I'm more excited about, and what seems more fun. And what is a different leveling experience than other stuff I have played.

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:09 pm

I think with the current state of things something like 6 Monk/ 5 Fighter/ 19 Rogue with a quarterstaff or kama (staff is better) is much more capable than a 20 Monk/10 Rogue.

Weaponmaster is tried-and-true and you can't go wrong following the build advice on that.

Mortael

Post by Mortael » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:01 pm

I am so clueless as to where to start with a F/R/WM...

...And in regards to where I want to split my levels, I know that the build can only benefit from a certain number of levels in each...

Where or not to go strength or dex-based... I guess both have their advantages, but dual-wielding would be nice for the added RP value...

Fighter minimum benefits from 4-7?

Rogue 10+? Defensive roll can be nice, alongside the sneaks/extra skill points

WM... Does it benefit from super-high levels? I have never played one ;) If I can recall though, I don't think it does? Fighter levels are great for feats, in that case.

I always go with 14+ Int for almost all of my builds. Skill points are always great, language-learning is incredibly useful and a lot of fun. And of course, imp expertise.

Dual wielding, dex-based... with an emphasis on AC, yet if I went Str-based, how would I get my AC? I guess I could rely on armour for that, derp! Uncanny dodge prevents flat-footedness though... Grr. It's hard to decide. I love the idea of smacking out 100+ with crits though. Time will decide for me!

And there are so many good crit weapons than I can think of, but... I hear scimitars are an excellent choice.

Guys, I need a lot of help haha! (Excuse the bad grammar, I'm just typing and not bothering to proof-read!)

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:37 pm

Fighter/Rogue/Weaponmaster is probably the most "cookie cutter" build you can commit to on Arelith. It's very powerful, but also very boring IMHO.

20 fighter / 7 WM / 3 rogue is the standard, with those rogue levels taken around levels 25-27 to maximize Tumble for an additional 6 AC. Rogue levels are also mandatory, really, for UMD. Alternatively you could go Bard instead of Rogue for access to Spellcraft, which adds +1 saves vs. spells for every 5 points invested.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:24 pm

If you're interested in a Dex-based dual-wielder, then you may want to check out the Rogue 24/Fighter 6. Uses a rapier/dagger combo.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:07 pm

I find weaponmasters very boring to play myself (at least, strength based) but if you're not sick of them you may as well try one. Look at the cookie cutter builds for the best advice but you want 20 fighter, 3 rogue, 7 weaponmaster.. exactly, with 13 fighter and 7 WM levels before 20.

Though one thing that makes this boring to me is no UMD when leveling- you're supposed to wait until epics for rogue levels. Being able to use wands and summon scrolls makes a huge difference to lazy me.

The Rogue 24/Fighter 6 is fun, though on the one I'm playing occasionally it seems to get tough to solo in the low teens, I expect once grenades are available that will change.

I'd just work on the concept and find a "cookie cutter" build that fits it best if you are unsure and don't know the game inside and out. There will be more characters in the future to experiment with and break the mold.

The Greater Good

Post by The Greater Good » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:01 pm

Elemental summon scrolls and as much choking powder as you can carry helps.
Monte Cook wrote:The idea here is that the game just gives the rules, and players figure out the ins and outs for themselves -- players are rewarded for achieving mastery of the rules and making good choices rather than poor ones.