UMD Wands

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Senshi
Arelith Platinum Supporter

UMD Wands

Post by Senshi » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:15 pm

Hello

I have not been able to find the info i need so im asking here.

Whats the minimum UMD to use 4th level wands?
Current Characters: Velem'vor

I do YT stuff.. IndieSenshi

Alox

Re: UMD Wands

Post by Alox » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:21 pm

IMO UMD 15 is the sweet spot. Do remember to take the charisma modifier into the account.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:46 pm

There's two important things you have to understand about UMD:

First, how many ranks you need depends on the value of the item you're trying to use. Since a wand with 10 charges has a lower value than a wand with 45, the UMD needed to use a wand varies.

Second, UMD increments every 5 ranks, with soft bonuses (stat mods, skill foci, equipment bonuses, etc.) included, so having a total of 9 UMD is functionally identical to having 5 UMD.

Neither of those things answer your question, though, so, uh... generally speaking, 10 UMD will let you use most wands as long as they don't have a ton of charges. 15 UMD will let you use every wand and scroll that I know of.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Senshi

Post by Senshi » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:33 pm

Thanks guys. ill aim for 15.

Reason im asking is because it might be getting close to time to make a new character (Few weeks away)

I was thinking of making the guts character post eclipse with the cannon arm. But instead of a cannon it will be able to slot in wends which i plan to rp as a blacksmith to make the arm as i level.

I would use fire ball and magic missiles with as high of caster level as possible.

Having a magic canon arm is to much to resist
Current Characters: Velem'vor

I do YT stuff.. IndieSenshi

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:08 pm

You can do that, for flavor, but be aware that wanded damage spells aren't very good. Wanded fireball does 35 damage on average, with a pitiful DC of 16, and Isaac's Lesser Missile Storm does a saveless average of 35 damage, split between up to 10 enemies. Beyond the very early levels, you're not gonna be able to kill anything with these. It's gonna be less "cannon arm" and more "BB gun arm".
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:23 pm

It depends on the items value, so its hard to say. A lot of wands/scrolls only need 5 UMD, but its a hit or miss. For example, a cure serious wounds wand has a higher value than a cure critical wounds wand, meaning a cure serious wounds wand is going to need more UMD to use than a cure critical wounds wand, despite being a weaker spell and less effective.

Some wands cost like 10k to make, while some cost like, 100 gold or so? So its real spotty. 15 UMD will let you use most, if not all wandable spells.

As for "arm cannon" spells...as someone who made an arm-cannon character, there are definitely a few good spells on wands, but they're almost all dcless. Acid arrow, ILMS, ice storm, and lesser spell breach come to mind. Anything with a DC is going to be just flavor/for show. Individually, these aren't going to be terribly strong either, as mentioned. Its the fact you can shoot 50+ at a single target without using a single spellslot that you will benefit from.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:32 pm

Senshi wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:33 pm
Thanks guys. ill aim for 15.

Reason im asking is because it might be getting close to time to make a new character (Few weeks away)

I was thinking of making the guts character post eclipse with the cannon arm. But instead of a cannon it will be able to slot in wends which i plan to rp as a blacksmith to make the arm as i level.

I would use fire ball and magic missiles with as high of caster level as possible.

Having a magic canon arm is to much to resist
Cannon arms are cool.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:59 am

....Who do you play, and when can I log onto Terry to meet them?!