How to calculate APR?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Hellscr3am

How to calculate APR?

Post by Hellscr3am » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi folks!

I was wondering how the build gurus were able to determine how much APR a character gets? (Base APR, not counting haste etc..)

For example a battle cleric(23)/ftr(4)/rogue(3).

How do you know the APR progression? The NWN wiki talks about the BAB and then melee classes, middle classes etc.. it gets confusing quite fast.

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Re: How to calculate APR?

Post by Morderon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:38 pm

APR caps out at level 20.

Take your class levels before level 20.

Add together their BAB from the tables you've seen http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Base_attack_bonus

Rogue 16/Fighter 4 has 12 BAB from rogue, and 4 BAB from fighrter, for a total of 16 BAB.

Every character has at least 1 APR

For non-monks or monks using a non-monk weapon: The breaking points for an additional natural APR are 6 BAB, and every 5 points there after, so 11 and 16. The above build meets all 3 break points so they get 3 additional APR

For unarmed/monk weapon monks: the break points for an additional APR is 4 BAB, and every 3 points left over

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Attacks_per_round

Edit: The rule of 4, which basically means to maximize your BAB//APR you class levels should be divisible by 4, before level 20, this really only applies if your multi classing with a 3/4 BAB class.

If you have at least 4 levels of a full progression BAB class before level 20 and no-wizard/sorcerer/palemaster levels (ignoring any paths) you'll reach the maximum APR, provided your 3/4 BAB classes are divisible by 4.

The rule of 4 can also be used to determine how much BAB you'll lose from the maximum amount at level 20 (20 BAB)

Take a rogue 5/cleric 9/fighter 6: 5 divided by 4 is 1.25, rounded up is 2. 9 dived by 4 is 2.25, rounded up is 3. You do nothing with the fighter levels as that's a full BAB class.

20 - 2 (the loss of BAB from your rogue levels) - 3 (the loss of BAB from your cleric levels) = 15, which is 1 BAB away from the 4th APR breaking point so this character will have 3 APR.

In your example of Cleric 23/ftr 4/ rogue 3, we can't tell you the BAB or APR because we don't know your pre-level 20 distribution.

Hellscr3am

Post by Hellscr3am » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:23 pm

*Nose bleed*. Wow thanks for the detailed information!

The build I mentioned above is cleric(17)/ftr(3) to twenty.

So assuming I understood this properly and that cleric is a middle class? (How do you know whats a middle class?)

I would get 15 BAB by level 20 which would give me 2 APR? I'm 1 BAB short of 3 APR?

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:45 pm

It would give you 2 additional APR, 1 BASE APR (which you get at level 1 regardless of class) and 2 additional APR (due to your BAB progression, at 6 BAB and 11 BAB), for a total of 3 APR. And yes, your 1 BAB short for another APR.

Cleric's a middle class (3/4).

Only way to know if the BAB progression of a class is to look it up. Though you can make some assumptions, if the character has nothing more going for it then hitting things really hard it's likely a full progression BAB class.

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Cleric

From that page:

Code: Select all

Base attack bonus: +3/4 levels

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:54 pm

The reason Clerics want 15 BAB and not 16 is because of Divine Power, which temporarily increases their BAB to that of a fighter-- which is a 1 AB per level class, meaning instead of 15 BAB at 20 they would get 20. This gives them another APR. But because this fourth attack is from the spell, it comes at top AB.

Let me give you numbers since that could all be confusing, but without STR mod, other spells, etc.
This is a 16 BAB Cleric's normal attack string:
+16/+11/+6/+1
And this is a 15 BAB Cleric's normal attack string:
+15/+10/+5

So then we cast Divine Power.

16 BAB Cleric's normal attack string with Divine Power:
+20/+15/+10/+5

15 BAB Cleric's normal attack string with Divine Power:
+20/+15/+10/+20

Considering how Divine Power is a common spell most Clerics account for it in their planning.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Hellscr3am

Post by Hellscr3am » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:59 pm

Ahhh that explains it! I was looking at that build and wondering why someone wouldn't do the extra effort to squeeze in one more fighter level (for example) to get another APR (and more DPS).

But its all clear now!

Thanks alot to both of you!

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:08 pm

Also taking the 4th fighter level in epics grants you Epic Weapon Spec