LF: PvE Build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

desiianowor

LF: PvE Build

Post by desiianowor » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:50 pm

I am looking for two PvE builds. I do not care to PvP so mostly farming and gathering mats for crafting. Preferably Elf or Human.

A Ranger / Rogue build that will work on Arelith for PvE content. I have seen the cookie cutter STR build but I'd like something Dex based & prefer dual wield kukri & to take advantage of the Ranger animal empathy companion ability. (I come from the Ranger/Rog/SD group of players but know Ranger gets HiPs now in natural areas - so SD seems unnecessary.)

A Monk/Rogue/SD build utilizing HiPs and unarmed combat. I've seen some threads discussing this build but nothing that lays it out in how to actually level the build.

I am no good at coming up with my own builds - so if it's a step-by-step guide with what to take when, where to put skill points - that'd be awesome!

Jack Oat

Re: LF: PvE Build

Post by Jack Oat » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:14 pm

Ranger(21), Monk(6), Bard(3), Human

STR: 12
DEX: 15 (17 w/ gift) (24)
CON: 14 (16 w/ gift)
WIS: 14
INT: 14
CHA: 8

Human: (Quick to Master)
01: Ranger(1): Weapon Finesse, Expertise, Favored Enemy I, {Dual Wield}
02: Ranger(2)
03: Ranger(3): Improved Expertise
04: Ranger(4): DEX+1, (DEX=18)
05: Ranger(5): Favored Enemy II
06: Ranger(6): Blind Fight
07: Ranger(7)
08: Ranger(8): DEX+1, (DEX=19)
09: Ranger(9): Toughness, {Improved Two-Weapon Fighting}
10: Monk(1): {Cleave, Evasion, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist}
11: Monk(2): {Deflect Arrows}
12: Monk(3): DEX+1, Weapon Focus: Quarterstaff, (DEX=20)
13: Ranger(10): Favored Enemy III
14: Ranger(11)
15: Ranger(12): Improved Critical: Quarterstaff
16: Ranger(13): DEX+1, (DEX=21)
17: Monk(4)
18: Ranger(14): Extend Spell
19: Ranger(15): Favored Enemy IV
20: Ranger(16): DEX+1, (DEX=22)
21: Monk(5): Epic Weapon Focus: Quarterstaff
22: Monk(6): {Knockdown, Improved Knockdown}
23: Ranger(17)
24: Ranger(18): DEX+1, Armor Skin, (DEX=23)
25: Ranger(19)
26: Ranger(20): Epic Prowess
27: Ranger(21): Bane of Enemies
28: Bard(1): DEX+1, (DEX=24)
29: Bard(2)
30: Bard(3): Epic Skill Focus: Discipline

Discipline 33(44), Heal 33(35), Hide 33(40), Move Silently 33(40), Spellcraft 33(35), Tumble 30(37), UMD 16(15), remaining skillpoints 68

The numbers in parenthesis are post-ESF/Ability Score Modifiers.

This is probably the best DEX Ranger build out there.

I'll get the Monk/SD/Rogue thing when I get out of classes today, so about 5 or so hours from now. Less if I think of it during a break.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:45 am

The 20 Monk/5 Rogue/5 SD is like the 20/10 Monk/Rogue "e-dodge Monk" in the Cookie-Cutter Build thread, but meeting the prerequisites for SD. The combination of defensive roll from your 5th SD level and improved evasion from having rogue and monk levels qualifies you for epic dodge at level 30.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:07 am

Dedicated monk builds are aids to level and do terrible damage. Given that Beamdog has since even enhanced monks, I'm not convinced I'd bother.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:43 am

Peppermint wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:07 am
Dedicated monk builds are aids to level and do terrible damage. Given that Beamdog has since even enhanced monks, I'm not convinced I'd bother.
What’d they change?

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:48 am

Jagel wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:43 am
Peppermint wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:07 am
What’d they change?
Stunning Fist is now useless (duration changed from 3 rounds to 1 round). Circle Kick is still broken.

Garrbear wrote:

Irongron wrote:

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:47 pm

That sounds like even less reason for going any deeper than 3 or 6 levels maximum into monk outside thematic considerations. Maybe a reason for introducing recharge durations to monk abilities like stunning fist, wholeness of body, quivering palm and empty body?

I must say i like the Ki Point pool they have in 5th edition for gradual scaling of class abilities, assuming you didn't mind all of them keying off the same resource.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:52 am

Jack Oat wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:14 pm

I'll get the Monk/SD/Rogue thing when I get out of classes today, so about 5 or so hours from now. Less if I think of it during a break.
Think you'll be putting out that rogue build? I'd be interested in seeing it. Also, in a choice between extend spell and craft wand, why extend spell? You could make a pretty penny selling spells usually exclusive to druids, not to mention now you more-or-less have infinite casts/day on the cheap.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:21 am

Dalenger wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:52 am
Think you'll be putting out that rogue build? I'd be interested in seeing it.
Eventually. Trying to find a split I like, and I've been busy IRL lately.
Also, in a choice between extend spell and craft wand, why extend spell? You could make a pretty penny selling spells usually exclusive to druids, not to mention now you more-or-less have infinite casts/day on the cheap.
That's certainly an option. I should have really left it as an open feat. I think I meant to and misclicked, or just had a case of the dumb. In my defense, I threw that together hastily before classes.

Garrbear wrote:

Irongron wrote:

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:43 am

Jack Oat wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:21 am
Dalenger wrote:
Think you'll be putting out that rogue build? I'd be interested in seeing it.
Eventually. Trying to find a split I like, and I've been busy IRL lately.
Also, in a choice between extend spell and craft wand, why extend spell? You could make a pretty penny selling spells usually exclusive to druids, not to mention now you more-or-less have infinite casts/day on the cheap.
That's certainly an option. I should have really left it as an open feat. I think I meant to and misclicked, or just had a case of the dumb. In my defense, I threw that together hastily before classes.
If I were go to gnoll, what would the best spread be? Something like str-12 dex-18 (gift) con-12 wis-14 int-14 cha-6? Or maybe dex-17 con-14? Of feats to give up I'd probably toss improved critical. A x2/20 weapon doesn't really seem worth the feat, especially iirc crits don't double favored enemy damage.

Also, what's the current feel on parry? I know it recently received a pretty sizeable buff, but haven't heard anyone use it in their builds.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:26 pm

desiianowor wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:50 pm
A Monk/Rogue/SD build utilizing HiPs and unarmed combat. I've seen some threads discussing this build but nothing that lays it out in how to actually level the build.
Dalenger wrote:
Think you'll be putting out that rogue build?
Rogue 16/Monk 9/Shadowdancer 5
I recommend this one. It's easier to level since you get IKD at 9 and not 30. Also it goes faster. Overall I don't feel the damage loss from 16 Rogue vs. 19 Rogue and the 1 AB loss from not taking Epic Prowess (or the save difference or whatever) makes the other build worth it.

Rogue 19/Monk 6/Shadowdancer 5
If Arelith was a "create your character AT level 30" server I would go with this build. Mechanically it's minorly superior. Gets 1 more AB (or whatever you use that feat on) and 2d6 extra Sneak Attacks, as well as whatever bonuses you get between 16 and 19 Rogue.

Ultimately it's up to you if you go for any of them. There's an Assassin version that is fairly potent, but as a point of principle I don't post Assassin builds on public domains. PM me if you want to review it.

Garrbear wrote:

Irongron wrote:

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Dalenger wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:43 am
If I were go to gnoll, what would the best spread be? Something like str-12 dex-18 (gift) con-12 wis-14 int-14 cha-6? Or maybe dex-17 con-14?
I'll be honest I don't really have the time to look at it right now. If you're still interested in like a month let me know.
Of feats to give up I'd probably toss improved critical. A x2/20 weapon doesn't really seem worth the feat, especially iirc crits don't double favored enemy damage.
If you're a Gnoll you get Toughness for free, so you don't lose any feats. And Favored Enemy DOES in fact do double damage on a crit. Assassin damage does not.
Also, what's the current feel on parry? I know it recently received a pretty sizeable buff, but haven't heard anyone use it in their builds.
If you aren't a DEX WM, don't take Parry. It's not worth it. That's been the case since day 1. It might be a small gimmick, but it isn't good enough to validate itself-- let alone on a high APR build like a Monk. Before anyone jumps to Parry's defense, it's easy to find ways around it and counter it. The only reason I recommend it on a DEX WM is because you'll likely catch someone off-guard on their first flurry and can riposte crit them for a LOT of damage.

Garrbear wrote:

Irongron wrote: