Gnome Infernalist Tinkerer

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

StrykerMontgomery

Gnome Infernalist Tinkerer

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:44 am

There are a lot if goodguys and a lack of gnomes. So the hipster inbme decided it wants to do two birds with one stone with a warlock tinkerer.

Not that we can't use "cookie cutter" as a baseline, but the hipster is strong in me.

So far im thinking 25 bard/5shadowdancer because the only thing more annoyijg than a gnome with unlimitted balor lords isnone that hides in plain sight. (Also tae advantage of small size and dabbling into shadowtinkering could also be a thing)

So im thinking probably and alchemist?
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

Dr. B

Re: Gnome Infernalist Tinkerer

Post by Dr. B » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:22 am

You should select Mammon the Viscount as your deity. I'd love to see a Mammonite gnome, especially one who is always cranky.

As for the build you just mentioned, I know someone who plays one, and it's quite survivable. Play it if you prefer to avoid PvP.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:32 am

How would that benefit me PvE? The summon shadow is kind of pointless for an infernal warlock. Ill look up said deity

DarkPerin

Post by DarkPerin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:22 pm

Don't take shadow dancer. Just be a sneak warlock. HIPS is nearly worthless for you. You'll only be hiding in PvP situations, in which case you can corner sneak like a champ. Be a Dex tank that can sneak and pull balors out of his rear.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:56 pm

Don't know if I can pull off corner sneaking like a champ or not.

Also thinking of going abyssal instead with the concept that the abyss could be a near infinite source of power.

Ironfoot

Post by Ironfoot » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:51 pm

So in short its a Spriggan?😊

azrael_athing

Post by azrael_athing » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:45 pm

Ironfoot wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:51 pm
So in short its a Spriggan?😊
It's only a Spriggan if it succumb to Urdlen and starts killing Gnomes in order to feed its own powers. What is explained above can certainly still be as gnome as any other.

I say go for it! Terto will welcome you with open arms.

ON note for the actual build. Not being a Warlock-expert myself but as I read it you want to go full Warlock.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:16 pm

I heard this full warlock a lot. Exactly what am I losing for going 25 vs 30 warlock?

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:49 pm

You can dip a few levels and only miss out on ice storm and a little more blast damage, but shadowdancer is absolutely not the way to go. If you are doing it for hide in plain sight then.. don't. You have unlimited darkness at will, use that and invisibility wands/potions/gift to disappear.

Blackguard for the saves boost and Divine shield is a much better warlock dip, if not the only one really worth considering.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:02 pm

What exactly do I lose? I can decide on my own if its worth it. (HipS is much faster/instant than darkness and isnt countered by ultra vision.)
I can see why saves would be better but not being a valid target for a spell seems better. Being small size is also going to make me more vulnerable to knockdown.

*edit*

Like how good is ice storm?

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:36 am

Ice Storm is okay and useful, especially when you're able to cast it endlessly, but you probably wouldn't feel its absence.

I am not speaking of hiding in darkness without stealth necessarily but using it to go into stealth. Darkness will be instant-cast when you take Quicken Spell (which is mandatory on a fiendlock.) By using that plus invis wands or other means you can drop out of sight and go into stealth quite easily. It's not quite as good as HiPS but it's as good as a warlock probably needs without spending 2 feats and 5 levels.

Also, warlocks are a class that are a bit slow to gain all of their best abilities. Unless you wait until level 25 to dip Shadowdancer you'll probably feel very behind on your summons, spells and blast damage if you spend 5 levels on another class early on.

Truth is if you take 5 SD levels you'll be fine, infernal warlocks are extremely powerful and can stand an experiment like that. I've been tempted by things like SD dips plenty of times too and I understand the impulse so if you need to get it out of your system just do it.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:27 am

Ice Storm gives you area damage with no save so it gives a means of inflicting damage to entire mobs instead of just the target of your eldritch blast. You will do fine without it I’m sure

Basementfellow

Post by Basementfellow » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:28 pm

Ice Storm is pretty useless, but the other level 30 perks are not.

http://wiki.arelith.com/Warlock
http://wiki.arelith.com/Summoning_Changes

With the 25/5 build, you lose out on 5% damage immunity, 10/- elemental damage reduction, and 2d6+2 Eldritch Blast damage.

Your Balor takes a bigger hit, losing:

- 3 AB
- 3 Strength
- 2 Points of all Saving Throws
- 2 AC
- 5 of all it's skills
- 5 hit-dice worth of health points
- 5 caster levels

I'd stick to the build in the cookie-cutter thread, honestly.
Iceborn wrote:I shall very inefficiently murder with a spoon the next individual that mentions Shrek.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:46 am

Epic skill focus bluff? These cookie builds need to be updated if disguising is not in the foreseeable future.

*EDIT*

I am all for discussing what I am missing out and how it will impact me when not going to take the cookie cutter build. But unless I make a character "my own", which at least somewhat has to include the build, I have zero interest in said character.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:35 am

Bluff can be quite useful on a warlock for hiding your stats to look less warlock-y, and disguise still works to get around exiles, something which a warlock is likely to accrue.

At the end of the day, however, a warlock 25/SD 5 will do all right (not great, but good enough) simply on the strength of having 25 warlock levels. ESF Bluff, Toughness, and Great Con are the feats I would sacrifice to go gnome and pick up Dodge/Mobility for SD. If you shuffle your starting stats a bit so that you start with 17+gift Con, ending on 26, you won't need Great Con anyhow.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:33 pm

I also might not value toughness the same or other pre epic feats in the cookie build. My personal biggest drawback seems to be how it hurts my summon.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:09 pm

I wanted to thank everyone for convincing me the pure path on this one, especially with the updates now.