Melee focused spellsword

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

natman

Melee focused spellsword

Post by natman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi guys and girls,

I’m looking to create a spellsword that functions more like a paladin than a wizard, the idea being that the spells supplement a high strength frontline fighter for buffs/utility.

A couple of specific questions are
- Is the spellsword able to use -teleport?
- can the Spellsword successfully achieve higher than 3 attacks if they dip into a fighter class?
- I believe the optimum number of spellsword levels is 21. How should I spend the rest?
- What are some feats essential feats (beyond blind right and improved expertise) that would help? Is cleave worth it?
- would the build be improved by just being a standard fighter / mage split?
- I’ve current gone for these starting stats (with gift).

STR18
DEX12
CON14
INT18
WIS8
CHA8

Please treat me as an absolute noob, I’ve not played a wizard character before and I’m not sure how best to draw out the spellsword’s potential as a fighter/mage.

liver and bones

Re: Melee focused spellsword

Post by liver and bones » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:58 pm

1. Yes. But they can't create the portals.
2. Yes.
3. Why do you believe 21 is optimum?
4. All transmutation spell schools, extend spell, maximize spell, all weapon foci, improved crit, armor skin, epic mage armor, and arcane defense for abjuration. Do take the latter as early as you can. Cleave is awful for this build, as you can't afford to take it.
5. By "standard split", how do you mean? 15/15? 27/3?

INT is not as important anymore, because they removed the damage bonus associated with it. Unless you want more spell slots (which is definitely a thought to be made), I would go:

16 STR (+2 gift)
12 DEX
16 CON
14 INT (+2 gift)
8 WIS
8 CHA

You want to go 23 SS/4 Fighter/3 Bard.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:03 pm

liver and bones wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:58 pm
INT is not as important anymore, because they removed the damage bonus associated with it. Unless you want more spell slots (which is definitely a thought to be made), I would go:

16 STR (+2 gift)
12 DEX
16 CON
14 INT (+2 gift)
8 WIS
8 CHA

Why would you go only 16 intelligence when you could just take points from strength to get 18 int at first level. Presumably you want 19 base int eventually anyway to cast all your spells, so you're just losing skillpoints by starting with 16 int.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:21 pm

Lurch wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:03 pm
liver and bones wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:58 pm

16 STR (+2 gift)
12 DEX
16 CON
14 INT (+2 gift)
8 WIS
8 CHA

Why would you go only 16 intelligence when you could just take points from strength to get 18 int at first level. Presumably you want 19 base int eventually anyway to cast all your spells, so you're just losing skillpoints by starting with 16 int.
Early viability vs. long-term gain. Given that this guy wanted to go 12 DEX at first, sacrificing +1 AB is huge early on for spellswords given their lack of AB-buffing till level 5 (assuming you can afford the GMW scrolls).

If you want to go what I feel the best build is (for stating stats), then go for the build on the Discord: https://docs.google.com/document/d/199E ... QMoQc/edit

Your armor will be both a green chainshirt AND mithril fullplate. Buff in green chainshirt, then switch to mithril fullplate.

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:22 pm

Is there a reason people don't start with Transmutation and Greater Transmutation? I found the burning hands clears packs of low level enemies quickly and the boost to buffs helps a lot, where improved expertise seems like overkill so early.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:08 pm

natman wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:29 pm
Hi guys and girls,

I’m looking to create a spellsword that functions more like a paladin than a wizard, the idea being that the spells supplement a high strength frontline fighter for buffs/utility
What you’ve described is precisely the spellsword’s role. The build you want is this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/199E ... sp=sharing

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:09 am

Dr. B wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:08 pm
What you’ve described is precisely the spellsword’s role. The build you want is this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/199E ... sp=sharing
That's missing from the cookie-cutter thread for some reason.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:11 am

Yeah, I’ll put it in as soon as I stop being lazy.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:54 am

Tourmaline wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:22 pm
Is there a reason people don't start with Transmutation and Greater Transmutation? I found the burning hands clears packs of low level enemies quickly and the boost to buffs helps a lot, where improved expertise seems like overkill so early.
Nope, though I would personally still say take Transmutation later on. Get both by level 12. Weapon Focus, SF: Abjuration and Arcane Defense: Abjuration, and blindfight are the best things to take early on imo.

natman

Post by natman » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:45 pm

Hey guys thanks for the tips.

I agree 23 seems better and definitely happy this is the class for me now that I’ve seen that cookie cutter build.

Appreciate the help from all as I’ve been really looking forward to playing my spellsword. Hopefully I’ll run into you all online!

DarkPerin

Post by DarkPerin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Transmutation was worth it early on for me. Especially since I was in fullpfullplate with a shield. My A.C. was already good. At low levels burning hands was just to OP to pass up. Especially against Skal mobs.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:49 pm

I wrote that build.

Take what you want when you want for early stuff, doesn't really matter.

You should be level 12 by the end of your second or third day anyway.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:39 am

Level 12 by the end of your second or third day? Is leveling significantly faster in Cordor than Skal or am I doing it wrong?
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:55 am

Depends on how much time you're spending leveling. People who know the module well also tend to level up faster. My honest advice? Don't worry about it too much.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain