Weapon Question

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Dr_Hazard89

Weapon Question

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:15 am

Considering a few character ideas. I like to make them and keep them (and usually never use them) but they're still fun to make.

ATM playing with a few and it got me wondering about 2h weapons. Using the cookie-cutter WM build, in what order would you put the weapons from most to least optimal? I am mostly interested in 2h weapons but wouldn't mind hearing about 1h as well.

Ones I had in mind for RP reasons were the battle axe (with a shield) or the halberd/greatsword (so pretty). I was enjoying the spear on a character I made not long ago, but I realised it was treated as a 1h weapon exclusively, only after playing the character. Thought I'd have the option of both.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Temperance

Re: Weapon Question

Post by Temperance » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:37 am

Longer criticals tend to fair better than bigger, so greatsword is the best bet in that regard when it comes to two-handers out of the ones you've listed, since it's the only with a 19-20 critical range. Heavy flail exists, which is bludgeoning and does a tad less base damage than greatsword. There's the scythe, which requires exotic, but offers a x5 critical so it can be quite the swing when a crit does land. Halberd and Greataxe are both mechanically weaker, but they're definitely more appealing aesthetically to the scythe IMO. I'd order it greatsword, heavy flail, scythe, greataxe, halberd.

If you'd like the ability to switch between sword and board and Pufferfish to wall two-hander, bastard sword offers a nice compromise. Dwarven waraxe too, which also has a racial weapon with +4 enhancement and all the other good stuff.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:53 am

Don't overlook the trident. Its base stats on Arelith are middling with 2d6 piercing, 20x3 crit, but it has one of the best special weapon variants in the game:

+4 Enhancement
1d8 Cold
Keen
On hit: Slow DC 16, 50% / 2 rounds

No racial or class restrictions. It is an extremely good weapon.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:55 pm

How about a wild dwarf using scimitar in 2 hands, given that they're small sized without any accompanying strength penalty? For extra deviousness you could go strength build with rapier and pretend it's an estoc. I'd imagine it catching some people off guard, though you're essentially disrupting WYSIWYG for OOC PvP advantage.