True flame divine caster/melee

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Thesmilingjester

True flame divine caster/melee

Post by Thesmilingjester » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi everyone. New to neverwinter and would like to join the world of arelith.

Got some inspiration when I saw that the Paladin Holy Sword is an evocation spell. I don't plan on getting it but there are some buff and damage spells in the divine type that are evocation!

I was thinking 3 true flame /3 paladin and 24 cleric with air and strength domains.

I'd be able to cast strong spells in full plate and go into melee and be able to fight well!

Thoughts on the build so far?

Paladin might be a bit much but would give me some awesome protection at the time as armor/shield proficiency.

Rwby

Re: True flame divine caster/melee

Post by Rwby » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:16 pm

Paladin/Sorcerer is largely seen as fine.

Paladin/Trueflame might be eccentric, but would probably work.

Paladin/Cleric is okay, but a bit odd.

Paladin/Cleric/Trueflame is going to want high wisdom, high charisma, high strength and high con, and you'll implode.

If you want to throw spells at things, and stab them, I'd recommend a Spellblade. If you want to religiously throw spells at things and stab them, but want more fireballs than a Paladin, then maybe Spellblade/Champion of Torm?

Thesmilingjester

Post by Thesmilingjester » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:27 pm

I was thinking of focusing on wisdom and con for stats. Cha as a third stat to put to 14 or 16.

Unlimited divine power/favor, darkfire, flame weapon for melee

For range: Chain lightning, flame strike, hammer of gods and searing light for undead.

Not trying to defend it incredibly hard but wouldn't unlimited divine power be strong?

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:36 am

Ah, I see what you're thinking. True Flame infinite casting only affects spells in the True Flame's spellbook, to my knowledge. Can anyone confirm that?
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:24 am

Baron Saturday wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:36 am
Ah, I see what you're thinking. True Flame infinite casting only affects spells in the True Flame's spellbook, to my knowledge. Can anyone confirm that?
That's my recollection too. People wanted to make infinite imploder clerics back in the day.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:26 am

Trueflame's infinite casting shouldn't extend beyond other classes as far as I know, especially one that prepares spells as opposed to spontaneous spellcasting.
:)

Thesmilingjester

Post by Thesmilingjester » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:53 pm

Oh well that's awkward haha. My initial build was going to be paladin 3/trueflame 27 using auto still asap to wear full plate.

I had some inspiration when I saw holy sword was an evocation spell.

So if the cleric path doesn't work how would paladin/true flame do? Would my ac ever have a chance to get to respectable levels for pve wearing full plate and a large or tower shield?

I really like the idea of a paladin of Kossuth!
Rp wise protect the flame and burn the impure?

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:59 pm

That's a perfectly reasonable concept. Though your AC will never be amazing because you'll never learn EMA. You'll have good saves, though if you use charisma, and divine shield will help compensate. And all the Fireballs.

Thesmilingjester

Post by Thesmilingjester » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:50 pm

How does auto still spell work in arelith?

In neverwinter it seems pretty straightforward. Get 1/2/3 cast higher levels somatic freely.

In arelith it gives you an reduced spell chance failure as well? Did that just replace the original version?

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:36 am

Thesmilingjester wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:50 pm
How does auto still spell work in arelith?

In neverwinter it seems pretty straightforward. Get 1/2/3 cast higher levels somatic freely.

In arelith it gives you an reduced spell chance failure as well? Did that just replace the original version?
The ASF reduction is in addition to its original functionality. Greensteel armor and shields have their ASF penalty reduced to 5%, so taking Auto Still Spell I will allow you to have 0% ASF on your L4-9 spells if you wear one piece of Greensteel, and nothing else. Taking Auto Still Spell II will allow you to have 0% ASF on your L7-9 spells even if you wear Greensteel armor and a shield. And of course, Auto Still Spell III lets you wear anything you want.

Basically, it allows a caster to have some of the benefits of Still Spell extended to their entire range of spells, while requiring only one feat, if they're willing to make a small sacrifice. Greensteel is still pretty good armor.

Thesmilingjester

Post by Thesmilingjester » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:54 am

Thank you!