Questions regarding discipline

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Mortael

Questions regarding discipline

Post by Mortael » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:30 am

Alright, so my cleric is going to end up with 30+ discipline at level 30, with a dip in another class. I have the option to do things at final level:

Pick epic skill focus discipline, or grab the martial weapons feat, so I can finally RP my char using his deity's favoured weapon. I figured it's the only feat I could possibly change... Either that or craft wand, which could prove to be very useful /w stoneskin and imp invis wands! Is this +10 discipline really necessary, with over 30 discipline already? I realised when selecting feats, I will never be able to take scribe scroll... But, I don't really see this as a huge loss?

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Questions regarding discipline

Post by Shadowy Reality » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:50 am

Discipline is essential when it comes to PvP, still important in PvE but less so.

Just having Max ranks by 30 (33 ranks) is not enough discipline. How does discipline work?

You roll 1d20 + Discipline vs attacker's attack roll.

So to be entirely KD proof you need to have +20 discipline than your attack's maximum attack roll.
So if you consider your average meleers has 44ab then you need 64 Discipline to be safe.

33 ranks + 10 Epic Skill focus is a only 43, you will need to invest in +2 Discipline on your gear.

On the feats, I would never trade ESF Discipline for Craft Wand and definitely not for a weapon proficiency. Do not stress too much about the Deity's favoured weapon, that is not enforced.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:46 pm

As a rule of thumb, its usually not a good idea to choose a pre-epic feat during an epic level up, unless you desperately need that feat for your build.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:04 pm

I would definately stick with the diety's favoured weapon.

How often is that going to affect you? Lots.
How often are you going to be knocked down in PvP? A tiny fraction of the time.
Which adds more to roleplay and storytelling?

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:42 pm

I don't think the favored weapon thing ever added anything. Even if you do make a case to bring it up now and then, what does that bring? That's such a shallow thing.
:)

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:04 pm

Cortex wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:42 pm
I don't think the favored weapon thing ever added anything. Even if you do make a case to bring it up now and then, what does that bring? That's such a shallow thing.
How is it shallow for a cleric to attempt to pay respect to their deity, exactly?

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:32 pm

Rwby wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:04 pm
Cortex wrote:
How is it shallow for a cleric to attempt to pay respect to their deity, exactly?
Something that can be done without gimping your character.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:40 pm

Cortex wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:32 pm
Rwby wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:04 pm
Cortex wrote:
Something that can be done without gimping your character.
Sure? But I don't see how that makes it more or less shallow? One's mechanical, the others RP. You could roleplay someone that's taken a vow of pacifism, that'd be a huge-huge mechanical drawback, but I don't see how it'd be shallow.
I'm not advocating you're somehow less of a roleplayer if you -don't- wield your favoured weapon, but it can be an interesting RP tidbit, round of the character, contribute to the image of the clergy, and provide a good talking point and RP hook.

Skill Focus discipline is none of those things, and doesn't contribute to the server in any meaningful way, aside from meaning your character might die less often in certain circumstances. [And dying, in and of itself, might create more story, anyway!]
It's totally not for everyone, I'm sure. I just don't understand how you see it as 'Shallow', and some sort of a negative.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:01 pm

Scurvy wrote:This is a fine stance to have, but a little misplaced in a mechanics feedback thread, don'cha think?
The same applies here.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:41 am

Well i have a monk with weapon focus and improved critical with a greatsword because of his torm snick plus two handed weapons at low lvls rock with Kensai, but I still wouldn't waste an epic feat.

*EDIT*

on further note, if your guy already became lvl 30 using whatever weapon was comfortable for him, I think him and his deity are pretty cool with the current status quo with whatever weapon he is still using that may or may not be the 'favoured' weapon.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again