Due to the lack of ranged discussion, this thread will focus on the discussion of ranged character builds for all races. Emphasis should be on ranged weaponry (Bows, Crossbows, Slings, and Throwing Weapons) rather than using those to augment melee or spellcasting. (exceptions being the Zen Archery where wisdom will come nicely with Clerics, Druids, and/or Monks)
Keep in mind that while comparison of builds with each other from time to time is welcomed, encouraged even, please don't disrespect or dissuade other players by telling others that their build is trash and why they should play ____ instead. Giving a better build path or class composition is a better and friendlier choice in this matter.
The list may be extended with more once others come up with and discuss more comprehensive builds.
Note: The ones with a red asterisk (*) mean it is either a meme-build or an old build that has likely turned obsolete by an update
Generic Ranged: (Non-AAs for all races, accessible with normal RPR)
- Ranger 21 / Fighter 6 / Bard 3 | 23/4/3 Variant | 27/3 Variant - Basic Archer build for all races
- Ranger 23 / Monk 4 / Bard 3 - Halfling Hermit (Shuriken - Lawful Only): High AB, decent AC, decent saves, and low str.
- Rogue 24 / Fighter 6 - Jack edited, lots of skill points and sneak attack damage and great utility with all the rogue grenades!
- Ranger 5 / Monk 4 / Rogue 21 - Halfling Ninja (Shuriken/Lawful only): Access to -teleport, Rogue's Smoke Screen, and Shuriken
- *Bard 4 / Ranger 10 / BG 16 - (Evil Only, Slings Suggested): Hard early levels, the main focus is on utilizing summon and support it with ranged attacks.
- *Barbarian (Tribal) 22 / Ranger (Archer) 5 / Rogue 3 - Tankier build with high base hp and tribesmen. Decent solo option for pre-epic contents.
- *Ranger 23 / Paladin 4 / Bard 3 - (Lawful Good only): Jack's Special, higher AC, more offensive burst, but lower AB and harder to gear.
Note: the Harper variant is a direct improvement of this build.
- Bard 5 / Paladin 6 / AA 19, Defensive Variant - (Lawful Good only): Jack Edited, high dmg, high AB, high AC, good saves, but high wind-up time
- Ranger 7 / Paladin 4 / AA 19 - (Lawful Good only): Jack's Special, not as feat and skill starved as the above with less wind-up time, but no UMD.
- Fighter 8/ Bard 4 / AA 18 - More sustained damage and feats
- Ranger 5 / AA 19 / Fighter 6 - More firepower and feats at the cost of defense and no UMD - brainless one-click build tailored for parties, no UMD
- *Ranger 7 / SD 5 / AA 18 - HiPS, Woodland Stride, Evasion, a very slippery AA at the cost of firepower and AB. Comparable to Ranger 21 / AA 9 with more AB but less Damage, no UMD
- *Ranger 21 / AA 9 - More skill points but less AB and Damage compared to R5/F6/AA18. More skill points and damage but less AB compared to R7/SD5/AA18, no UMD
Note: With the removal of Monk's uncapped speed, players are advised to seek out other dips, instead.
- *Ranger 12 / Monk 3 / AA 15 - (Lawful Good only): Jack's Special, no UMD, but more feats and better QoL than Monk/Bard/AA.
- *AA 19 / Monk 6 / Bard 5 - (Lawful Only): From Essential Cookie-Cutter Build.
- Cleric 23 / Ranger 4 / Rogue 3 - Available for any race, slings suggested in order to utilize shield slot. Can also go for Cleric 26 / Ranger 4 spread at the cost of UMD and Tumble dump. 27/3 for even higher CL and dispel resist at the cost of 2 damage. Can move rogue levels further higher to get higher Bluff base ranks
- Cleric 27 / Bard 3 - (Drow or Kobold/Crossbow): No access to Repeater Crossbow due to low dex and unable to meet the prerequisite for Rapid Shot
- Cleric 24 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 3 - (Drow or Kobold/Crossbow): A variant of Cleric 27 / Bard 3, see its notes on Rapid Shot
- *Paladin 24 / Monk 3 / Rogue 3 - (Shuriken/Lawful Good Only): Joe's Special
- *Cleric 23 / Ranger 4 / Monk 3 - (Shuriken/Lawful Only): Jack's Special, Edited, see original
Note: This build requires a lot of juggling around all different sorts of stats. Not recommended to players in general.
- Ranger 22 / Harper Scout 5 / Rogue 3 - Harper Scout (Non-Evil Only): Jack's Special, most likely the most optimal archer build out there.
- Ranger 21 / Harper Scout 5 / Fighter 4 - Harper Scout (Non-Evil Only): Jack's Special, no UMD, but more fire power.
- Ranger 7 / Assassin 18 / Shadowdancer 5 - Shadowdancer (Evil only): Jack's Special
- *Bard 5 / Pale Master 15 / Arcane Archer 10 - Palemaster (Elf only): Jack's Special
Note: The Assassin's assassinate ability doesn't seem to work with ranged weaponry
- *Ranger 21 / Monk 3 / Assassin 6 - Ranger Assassin (Shuriken/Lawful Evil only): Jack's Special
- *Fighter 8 / Monk 3 / Assassin 19, Midget Shinobi (Shuriken/Lawful Evil only): Low Str, not recommended for new players!
- *Ranger 7 / Assassin 9 / AA 14 - Arcane Assassin (Bow/Evil Elf only): Jack Edited
- *Ranger 21 / Blackguard 4 / Assassin 5 - Blackguard (Evil only): Jack's Special
Ranged Average Damage in different Scenarios
Ashwood Launchers Materials List
Ranger's Favored/Studied Enemies discussion link
Ranger Animal Companion Snapshot (level 24)
Links, images, and comprehensive level lists will be much appreciated!