Questions on the Cleric

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Mortael

Questions on the Cleric

Post by Mortael » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:41 am

I will keep this post short and snappy. ;)

1. With spell foci i.e. Transmutation and Conjuration. Will my Cleric get access to the teleports with epic foci?

2. Which is more important? Craft wand or craft scroll and should I take both?

3. I am tempted to pick up martial weapons, instead of one of the crafting feats. This is solely on the basis that my cleric wants to use his deity's favored weapon. Would I be shooting myself in the foot for "wasting" a feat?

Rwby

Re: Questions on the Cleric

Post by Rwby » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:41 am

1) Yes.

2) Craft Wand. Craft Scroll certainly has it's uses, but if you're choosing, wand every time.

3) Yes. Yes you would be. On the other hand, roleplay over power level every time, so each to their own.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:56 am

Bear in mind that most characters will multiclass. A few fighter levels is quite common on a cleric, and does grant martial weapon proficiency.

Mortael

Post by Mortael » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:39 pm

Peppermint wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:56 am
Bear in mind that most characters will multiclass. A few fighter levels is quite common on a cleric, and does grant martial weapon proficiency.
I won't be dipping into fighter, I will be dipping into bard which doesn't grant the martial weapon proficiency, sadly!

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:07 am

Mortael wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:41 am
I will keep this post short and snappy. ;)

1. With spell foci i.e. Transmutation and Conjuration. Will my Cleric get access to the teleports with epic foci?

2. Which is more important? Craft wand or craft scroll and should I take both?

3. I am tempted to pick up martial weapons, instead of one of the crafting feats. This is solely on the basis that my cleric wants to use his deity's favored weapon. Would I be shooting myself in the foot for "wasting" a feat?
If you take Transmutation consider War Domain for the boosted Aura of Vitality domain spell, it is very very good with trans. focuses.

Craft Wand is in general much more useful. But. A Cleric can scribe raise dead scrolls (though the cost generally makes it not worth it.) And, you can scroll level 9 summon spells for a small piety hit which is much cheaper than a mage using spell components. A few other scrolls have a lot of value (Word of Faith scrolls for example). So it is quite useful for generating income. I'd still probably go with wand but if being a scribe suits your cleric better it is very good.

No one but you will care about the weapon. Including, likely, DMs who will likely not notice you're using your deity weapon or care. So if you want to take one that's close enough instead don't feel guilty for cheating or anything. But at the same time if you feel better using the deity favored weapon and it makes the character more satisfying to play then go for it. One feat won't make or break you.