Barbarian

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

David And Goliath

Barbarian

Post by David And Goliath » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:11 am

Okay, so, neither pathways I've played before. The standard "Rage" Barbarian and the Tribesman Barbarian. But I was wondering, while I'm aware of the differences, which pathway is most popular?

I love the standard Barbarians that have Rages. But I'm also interested in seeing how Arelith did the Tribesman.

Drowble Oh Seven

Re: Barbarian

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:29 am

The standard barbarian is by far the most popular. Tribal barbarian is generally regarded as sub-par - by and large the summons aren't exceptional and, in a party, tend to get in the way more than they help things. Sacrificing rage effectively turns you into a bargain bin fighter with limited multiclassing options (as taking another class means taking away from your tribesmen).

Further, until recently it was impossible to RP through the summons which tended to strain things a little - there's only so many ways you can justify being accompanied by a legion of silent thugs. Recent changes have addressed that aspect of it; but roleplaying for three while juggling two summons can be a tricky exercise, if you don't have the patience of a saint and the typing speed of an overstimulated hummingbird. There's some other quality of life things that can be a strain as well - carrying healing supplies and restorations for three can be a nuisance.

Personally, unless you're absolutely set on a concept that requires it, I'd advise against going tribesman.