Harper Detect Evil-ish

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

jp.ping14

Harper Detect Evil-ish

Post by jp.ping14 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:48 pm

I call this one, Agent of the Binder
Oghma being the Deity of this Cleric

Its a concept I wanted to play even before HS got the mods they have now. Before only paladin can do *detects evil*, but now since Haroer Paragon can do it, much better I guess. It has 23 Detect evil DC while naked, 29 DC with +12 WIS equipment and buff, you can get +1 with Gift of Wisdom on creation (Total of 30). Most non wis requiring builds have low 20s, thats roughly a coin flip of you hitting them with detect evil.

The idea before was to stand at by the Nomad, chat, gain info... detect evil... home in on the evil char, get to know him, then -scry. Downside? It sucks on PVP. Zen archery, without rapid shot, without epic spell ruin or hellball, without evo foci. This was also pre legend lore nerf, was planned to get languages through legend lore. It still can but you need to change race to human or get Gift of INT

Levelling plan is to melee and let the cleric buffs carry you to the early game. Once you get Zen Archery, you can Party Safely and can hit stuff without relying much on buffs. Get Paragon boon for added damage at late game. And also that juicy detect evil.

Why CoT and not Fighter? Because I like Divine Wrath visuals. And I also like to avoid XP penalties on this elf. Also... why elf? Because I wanted to play it for a loooooooong time. You can do human tho. Human and Fighter are more efficient build wise.

Cleric(19), Champion of Torm(6), Harper Scout(5), Elf
Neutral Good

STR: 14
DEX: 10
CON: 10
WIS: 15 (22)
INT: 14
CHA: 14

Elf: (Hardiness vs. Enchantments, Keen Sense, Low-light Vision, Skill Affinity: Listen, Skill Affinity: Search, Skill Affinity: Spot, Sleeplessness)
01: Cleric(1): Blind Fight, Domain War, Domain Trickery
02: Cleric(2)
03: Cleric(3): Iron Will
04: Cleric(4): WIS+1, (WIS=16)
05: Cleric(5)
06: Cleric(6): Alertness
07: Cleric(7)
08: Cleric(8): WIS+1, (WIS=17)
09: Cleric(9): Spell Focus: Divination
10: Harper Scout(1): Favored Enemy: Elves
11: Harper Scout(2)
12: Harper Scout(3): WIS+1, Weapon Focus: Longsword, (WIS=18)
13: Champion of Torm(1)
14: Champion of Torm(2): Weapon Focus: Longbow
15: Champion of Torm(3): Zen Archery, {Smite Evil}
16: Champion of Torm(4): WIS+1, Improved Critical: Longbow, (WIS=19)
17: Harper Scout(4)
18: Cleric(10): Greater Spell Focus: Divination
19: Champion of Torm(5)
20: Champion of Torm(6): WIS+1, Called Shot, (WIS=20)
21: Cleric(11): Epic Weapon Focus: Longbow
22: Cleric(12)
23: Cleric(13)
24: Cleric(14): WIS+1, Epic Weapon Focus: Longsword, (WIS=21)
25: Cleric(15)
26: Cleric(16)
27: Harper Scout(5): Armor Skin, Epic Skill Focus: Discipline
28: Cleric(17): WIS+1, (WIS=22)
29: Cleric(18)
30: Cleric(19): Epic Spell Focus: Divination

Skills:
Concentration 33(33), Disable Trap 1(3), Discipline 30(42), Lore 7(14), Open Lock 1(1), Persuade 8(10), Search 4(8), Spellcraft 18(20), Tumble 30(30)

Dr. B

Re: Harper Detect Evil-ish

Post by Dr. B » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:05 pm

So I'll just start by pointing out that, among numerous other issues, 19 cleric levels will make it very easy to kill your character by dispelling your buffs, which many mobs have. This will also perform pretty badly in PvE. The CoT levels serve no functional purpose, and the issue with Harper Paragon is that you need 5 levels in it to get divine might, further cutting into your cleric levels. The build also lacks Tumble and Use Magic Device, causing further issues with AC and performance in combat. You're also spending weapon focus feats in a melee weapon, despite investing no stat gains in strength and having a dismal con score that will get you chopped up quite easily by foes. On top of that, it will have poor damage output with both weapons, along with a lackluter 22 wisdom setting your attack bonus.

The only suggestion I have is to choose between either cleric or Harper Paragon, and drop CoT altogether. If you want to keep Harper Paragon, my advice is to go Bard 5/Harper Paragon 5/Arcane Archer 10 pre-epic, and Arcane Archer 9/Bard 1 post-epic (the 1 Bard is for UMD, Tumble, and Discipline). Focus in a finishing score of either 26 dex or wis for your primary stat (the latter requires you to take Zen Archery, and doesn't add any distinctive mechanical benefit) and 16-18 charisma as your secondary stat. The 19 Arcane Archer levels will give you a very high attack bonus and solid damage with a bow. Do not focus in a melee weapon, just a bow. You could roleplay this as an Oghman with little problem.

Unfortunately, there's no fixing the issues with the class combo that you've currently selected.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:28 pm

I believe that multiclass penalties have been removed entirely on Arelith.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:23 pm

I think AA and Cleric are quite far apart from each other, in terms of RP potential.

Harper Paragon gets +5 CL so doesn't that make it CL 24 altogether? I don't think there is a problem with the build. You could choose to go Cleric18/CoT2 pre-epic to enable the full BAB bonus attack from Divine power, but that's up to your personal preference. I would also choose Travel over Trickery for Haste, because Improved Invisibility is easier to use off a wand and there ought to be wand-crafting Trickery clerics.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

jp.ping14

Post by jp.ping14 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:22 pm

A cheezed up version of this idea:

Milil's Final Chord!~
Cleric(21), Fighter(4), Harper Scout(5), Human
Neutral Good

STR: 14
DEX: 8
CON: 12
WIS: 15 (22)
INT: 14
CHA: 14

Human: (Quick to Master)
01: Cleric(1): Spell Focus: Evocation, Iron Will, Domain Knowledge, Domain Good
02: Cleric(2)
03: Cleric(3): Alertness
04: Fighter(1): WIS+1, Blind Fight, (WIS=16)
05: Fighter(2): Weapon Focus: Sling
06: Fighter(3): Zen Archery
07: Cleric(4)
08: Cleric(5): WIS+1, (WIS=17)
09: Cleric(6): Spell Focus: Divination
10: Cleric(7)
11: Cleric(8)
12: Cleric(9): WIS+1, Greater Spell Focus: Evocation, (WIS=18)
13: Cleric(10)
14: Fighter(4): Weapon Specialization: Sling
15: Cleric(11): Improved Critical: Sling
16: Cleric(12): WIS+1, (WIS=19)
17: Cleric(13)
18: Cleric(14): Greater Spell Focus: Divination
19: Cleric(15)
20: Cleric(16): WIS+1, (WIS=20)
21: Cleric(17): Epic Weapon Focus: Sling
22: Harper Scout(1): Epic Skill Focus: Discipline
23: Harper Scout(2)
24: Harper Scout(3): WIS+1, Epic Spell Focus: Divination, (WIS=21)
25: Cleric(18)
26: Cleric(19)
27: Harper Scout(4): Epic Spell Focus: Evocation
28: Cleric(20): WIS+1, (WIS=22)
29: Harper Scout(5): Epic Skill Focus: Concentration
30: Cleric(21): Epic Spell: Greater Ruin

Skills:
Concentration 33(44), Discipline 32(44), Heal 25(31), Lore 6(13), Persuade 8(10), Search 4(6), Spellcraft 33(35), Tumble 30(29)

Why its called the final chord? Well... Greater Ruin at the end with spell focus Evo to support.
Still with 30 DC Detect Evil if with gift (29 without), and scrying.
Knowledge domain and Good domain coincide with Milil's ... But can also be trickery and good? There's no charm domain in NWN. Also Knowledge provides the Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, which, as far as I can remember, is an absolute must if you are focusing on Divination.

Moar AC due to shield + tumble + divine shield
Has Epic Evo for Implosion

Downside: Build feels... minmaxy. I usually do not play a class combo if I am not taking the classes pre-epic. But for this character I'll make that exception because I really want to make an epic scrier with detect evil, the combination is so tasty its evil. PVP? You'll manage I guess, you don't have the classic 2 "I WIN" buttons (Hellball + Greater Ruin), but you have half of it. You're expected to rely on implosion and greater ruin. With Epic skill Concentration, it makes your spell much more reliable.

But its not a build for PVP, its a build for those who wanted to take advantage of being able to know who is evil and being able to observe what they are up to.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:56 pm

I think you'll regret basing your concept on such a small mechanic, and bare in mind that PvE viability means a lot for your quality of life, and is more important than PvP.

If you know you're not going to be good at PvP, and don't care, focus on making yourself comfortable for PvE. Forget PvP, do not worry about it, anyone who says you should can go to Skal and stay there :D

You actually did express getting to know the characters after discovering they're evil as opposed to silently scrying off a name like many of team good's diviners I know of. This is good, just please take consideration with the potential in spoiling plots early and, well, cheesily. Other good diviners don't do that.

Alignment mechanic are bad and shouldn't exist.

Final notes on the build? It's far from minmaxy, dude, you're looking at a bad time.

I would literally scrap it and restart, either be a battle-cleric or a caster-cleric base and focus on that. With your level split, I would go with battle-cleric. Your character's life will simply be better, and as a result, the quality of your gameplay. Also take your fighter levels to 18, all cleric up until then and your forth in epics for an epic feat. Weapon spec isn't necessary. Your full power summons, even without conjuration focus, are probably more important than your PC in grinding.

I can't bring myself to even suggest trying to do the archer thing here, but same principle, stop trying to be a full caster-cleric if you're supposed to be a zen archer.

And again, forget PvP, just make it comfortable to play. And stop listening to the people crying about Hellball and gruin being necessary, level 30 wizards die to level 15 sorcerers if they don't have GSF abjuration. No matter how many scenarios you can think of where this shouldn't happen? Guess what, it does.