Does a sneak archer ranger need discipline skill?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Void

Does a sneak archer ranger need discipline skill?

Post by Void » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:06 pm

Kinda can't decide whether craft trap is going to be more useful or not.

Last time I played this type of character with 0 discipline I had knockdown landed on me only once or twice total.

Both times character failed to resist it, obviously
Another forum ban, here we go again.

StrykerMontgomery

Re: Does a sneak archer ranger need discipline skill?

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:58 pm

Depends if you will get it high enough to even be effective. Im thinking other archers and called shot might be an issue.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:28 am

If you to be a min-maxer, then you need discipline no matter what class you're playing. Or so I've been told, and especially in PvP.

Otherwise, you should be fine. In PvE it's all about positioning as an archer.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:38 am

Theres really never a reason NOT to get discipline if its avaliable. Even as an archer, mobs with called shot will cripple the hell out of you. Or the creature that immediatly turns on you when you attack it and it throws a knockdown at you. Being able to run and reposition yourself is important, and its impossible to do when affected by knockdown or called shot; leg.

Theres also the occasional mob with disarm that will ruin your day.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:47 am

Rangers get 6 + int skill points per level now, so fitting disc shouldn't be a problem.

Disc is a must, even if all you're looking for is not losing your expensive bow to random mob disarms.

jp.ping14

Post by jp.ping14 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:30 pm

I have made Rog 13/Wiz 8/AA 9 before. No discipline skill was taken available (Yes... extra 32 points for 16 discipline)
Did it matter? Well, yes and no. There are monster skills and environmental threats that checks for your discipline. And having some surely does help. Epic dodge and AC helps to offset low/no discipline. Since the build had 25 DEX, might aswell take Blinding speed, because why not? A haste on demand to gain distance back on mobs while sniping.
Last edited by jp.ping14 on Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Void

Post by Void » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:35 pm

Scurvy Cur wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:47 am
Rangers get 6 + int skill points per level now, so fitting disc shouldn't be a problem.

Disc is a must, even if all you're looking for is not losing your expensive bow to random mob disarms.
The character in question has to choose between discipline and craft trap skill.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:31 pm

Craft trap is kind of a waste. If trapping is a big part of your build, you want epic traps which you can't craft. Traps aren't hugely useful in PvE because you get no experience from them, so PvP is the big arena for them, where the difference between deadly traps and epic traps is that much more important.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Void

Post by Void » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:35 pm

Hunter548 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:31 pm
Craft trap is kind of a waste. If trapping is a big part of your build, you want epic traps which you can't craft. Traps aren't hugely useful in PvE because you get no experience from them, so PvP is the big arena for them, where the difference between deadly traps and epic traps is that much more important.
Looks like it is discipline then.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:53 am

Yeah, craft trap is really only useful if youre soloing a lot and have a lot of experience with when/how to set traps. Which, if you're playing as a sneak-attack archer, soloing is going to be extremely difficult for you, and trapping isn't going to help as much as a good party.

Void

Post by Void » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:15 am

msterswrdsmn wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:53 am
Yeah, craft trap is really only useful if youre soloing a lot and have a lot of experience with when/how to set traps. Which, if you're playing as a sneak-attack archer, soloing is going to be extremely difficult for you, and trapping isn't going to help as much as a good party.
Last time this type of character was soloing a lot.

Managed to get to level 16 without dying even once. (-_-).

Sigh.

I suppose I'll just bank skillpoints for now.

TheShadowdove

Post by TheShadowdove » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:10 pm

Is it worth dumping a feat for epic discipline on a sneak Archer?

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:26 am

Very nearly always. Sneak archers have to get close to be effective, which makes you more vulnerable to knockdown then you would otherwise be. You may be able to make do without discipline in PvE, but the general rule is that ESF: Discipline is pretty much essential if you're going to be involved in PvP.

That being said, I played a pure rogue sneak archer into the late teens without discipline without major issue. You can get away with a lot if you've got a party (although sneak archers are still absolutely, mind-wrenchingly frustrating to play).

flower

Post by flower » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:14 pm

Don't invent a Wheel. Most builds had been discovered. You can hardly come up with anything new….and that said, there would be reason why epic skill focus discipline is in them implemented.

DarkPerin

Post by DarkPerin » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:12 am

I could remember this wrong, but back in the day, I swear assassin spells qualified you for arcane archer. This was like, ten plus years ago. But at that time I did not need discipline, nearly at all. I'm PvP I always made sure I was near things to hide with. Duck out, fire, back into stealth before they had a chance to do any thing. This was when HIPS didn't exist. They added it back in layer.

I never needed discipline pvp, but in pve it was a must. Or if someone has one summon, it will just follow you forever.
So many mobs have a form of attack where discipline is a must. But, once you get HIPS it is less important. Especially since it sounds like you know what you are doing when it comes to positioning.

I've never bothered with the epic feat, but I also have it on a lot of my gear.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:32 am

I have no recollection of as assassin giving access to AA...

DarkPerin

Post by DarkPerin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:20 am

I am like... 95% sure it did now. And nobody had HIPS. Shadow Dancers only had Hide and Move silently increases.

This was a few years before Udos was destroyed.