Drow true flame

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Ozzy.nl

Drow true flame

Post by Ozzy.nl » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:23 am

So since I cant play the surface anymore untill the intel bug is fixed I am planning on joining the UD once more.

Now I am concidering making a drow true flame since I never played that one before. Does anyone have a good build?

Lurch

Re: Drow true flame

Post by Lurch » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:31 pm

Can true flames cast non-evocation spells from feats?

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:58 am

Lurch wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:31 pm
Can true flames cast non-evocation spells from feats?
Are you thinking the unlimited spells from GSF, or something like a BG's Bull's Strength ability?

The GSF spells is a no. Not sure about spell-like abilities from classes.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:52 am

With the build I got yesterday on discord one thing that was mentiond was divine shield. So that atleast works, but as for something like BG bull sttenght I remember that being asked back in the day as well, the awnser then was no.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:13 am

If you're willing to be neutral and worship a non-evil deity, I could see something like this:

True Flame Sorcerer 24 / Divine Champion 6

8 str
13 dex
14 con
14 int
8 wis
19 -> 26 Cha

skills:
30 concentration
33 discipline
9 heal
30 spellcraft
15 tumble

True Flame Sorcerer 19:
spell focus: evocation
greater spell focus: evocation
still spell
maximize spell
quicken spell
toughness OR spell penetration OR silent spell (so that you aren't completely screwed by silences)
weapon focus: rapier (pre-requisite)

Divine Champion 20-22:
epic spell focus: evocation (bonus)
epic skill focus: discipline

True Flame Sorcerer 23-27:
Automatic still spell I
Automatic still spell II (bonus)
Automatic quicken spell I

Divine Champion 28-30:
Automatic quicken spell II (bonus), III (bonus)
Automatic still spell III

If you're not keen on divine wrath bonuses, I'd wager True Flame Sorcerer 26 / Divine Champion 4 is better. Same number of feats, +2 caster level, -1 all saves, 33% weaker lay on hands.

In any case you get to wear a chain shirt / chain mail and a large shield for some extra AC.

EDIT: had to play around with epic levels for spellcraft pre-requisites.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:11 pm

I should say that I'm not too thrilled with a drow for true flame, due to the penalty to constitution, which you can't get rid of without losing the bonus to charisma, meaning no chance for good hitpoints on a mage; Not to mention no epic damage reduction, unlike gold dwarves who can start with 20 constitution and 20 charisma. Drow spell resistance is nice, until it no longer isn't, as it stops scaling in epics. Even in lower levels you can't trust it to reliably protect you from your own AoE spells.

In that vein, it might be best to adopt the maxim of offense as best defense, especially if you have a party to protect you. Let's say you're not keen on wearing armor: Drop still spell feats, make sure to get toughness and great charisma I, II and III, increase charisma to 20 at start, ending with 30, dump dex and tumble as AC won't protect you from any meaningful opposition. 4 or 6 Cot levels depending if you want divine wrath to help tank at least something with elemental shield active.