Drow tribal barbarian build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cerk Evermoore

Drow tribal barbarian build

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:48 am

I have been thinking about starting a character that is a tribal barbarian who uses a crossbow. With the new changes to tribal barbarians I think the idea of a ranged crossbow wielder who switches to melee when they close the distance and maximizes his own AC. I was thinking 24 barbarian 3 BG and 3 bard/rogue. I would like to pick up divine might and acquire divine shield via the Oathbreaker's helmet. I'm really interested in seeing what you guys come up with, thanks for your time.

Cerk Evermoore

Re: Drow tribal barbarian build

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:39 pm

I have never received a response so I suppose I will have to find out how to build one on my own!

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:50 pm

You didn't get a reply because it's not good. A ranged barbarian is just not a functional concept.
\

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:20 am

Tribal path is a trap, still. It's mediocre for PvE, and useless for PvP.

Crossbow isn't as good as other choices.

Your damage output is subpar to other builds' ranged damage output, and your henchmen won't help you enough to overcome to gaping flaws.

This is, overall, just a bad idea.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Regionals

Post by Regionals » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:52 am

If you want a crossbow drow with pals I suggest archer path ranger with enough levels to have animal henchmen.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:21 am

Or some sort of SD.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:55 pm

I appreciate the feedback, but I was more curious about starting stat spread instead of the "This isn't is viable"

Alox

Post by Alox » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:52 am

You need 13 str for power attack / cleave to BG and also for divine might.

You also need 13 cha for divine might, and arguable much more to make them good, this means you should probably stay away from the drow gift that gives +2 con -2 cha, i.e. you have to keep the drow -2 con.

Are you going to pick up expertise, for your melee as you said high AC? Not sure you can afford it.

How important is dex for your AC and hitting with ranged?

str 14
dex 16 + 2 = 18
con 14 - 2 = 12
int 08 + 2 = 10
wis 08
cha 15 + 2 = 17 + 7 = 24

The low constitution is going to hurt, but maybe not a problem if you don't melee too much.

pre epic feats: power attack, cleave, divine might, weapon focus cross bow, called shot blind fight, improved critical cross bow
epic feats: epic weapon focus, epic prowess, armor skin, epic skill focus discipline, ?

you want rogue 2 for weapon finesse, but taking that before level 21 will cost one AB.

To me it looks like the character has to cover too many stats, will hurt in AB department.

If you want really good AC you kinda need expertise, but getting the int and two feats is costly.

Barbarians synergize best with str and con, but you got low stats on those to get the ranged attack bonus and charisma for divine stuff. Not sure barbarian is a good choice for you.

Probably a lot of things that can be improved.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:19 am

I would not consider that build playable. Its AB and AC are going to be abysmal, it's essentially unplayable.
\

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:36 am

Basically, with the stat-spread, you will go into dungeons to quest for your level -- and you will not be able to kill things, and will get annihilated by monsters below your level that other people can solo easily when they are lower level than the monsters. The ONLY thing an archer gets out of Tribal Barbarian ... is a pair of poor tanks and some AB; but without being able to pump the most effective stat of an archer, you won't be able to make up the difference to hit monsters that will shred your two "tank" NPCs.

This build does not even compare to cross-bow Wizard or Cleric with a summon which would be far less of a stat-spread.

Going pure barbarian to level 16 to roll for a lesser reward might work -- but by barbarian level 20, when your NPC's stop scaling properly, you'll notice you become not only completely useless but that your level actually starts making spawns stronger than you can actually help your party cope with, because even if you're totally ineffective, you still raise the average level of the party for encounter-spawns.

You bring this build, at level 30, into Maur -- and you're going to have 5 "Maur Sorceresses" spamming meteor swarm and horrid wilting while hasted, and your barbarians (because you spread your class out) won't be strong enough to survive them.

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:58 am

Just to point out again. There's many other ways to make a very capable drow crossbow user who can summon things that aid you all the way to level 30. A zen archery based healer cleric/monk with crossbow and mummy dust for example or something with 16 levels of blackguard.

Tribal barbarians are good for comic relief on a throwaway character, but they don't really go the distance.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:05 pm

Thank you for the help those who were constructive. I intend to fill the gaps in my stats with gear. I have been kicking around in my head what crossbow to use and I have settled on Wardbreaker for the +5 AB and the 19-20 crit range. I intend to use Alox's stat spread with slight modifications. I'll be going for imp expertise and I will sacrifice some of my AB to do that.

Dexterity and crit are very important for the build I desire because I wish to poison my crossbow bolts that I fire at my enemies, when engaged in melee I'll switch to sword and board and maximize my AC.

While I understand this build isn't a kukri weaponmaster, I expect it will do respectable damage at range and quite devastating damage when I crit. Especially when combined with the drow racial crossbow bolts.

Frankly

Post by Frankly » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:59 pm

Expertise doesn't work with range weapons IIRC but id go ahead and test this

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:36 pm

Cerk Evermoore wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:05 pm
Thank you for the help those who were constructive. I intend to fill the gaps in my stats with gear. I have been kicking around in my head what crossbow to use and I have settled on Wardbreaker for the +5 AB and the 19-20 crit range. I intend to use Alox's stat spread with slight modifications. I'll be going for imp expertise and I will sacrifice some of my AB to do that.

Dexterity and crit are very important for the build I desire because I wish to poison my crossbow bolts that I fire at my enemies, when engaged in melee I'll switch to sword and board and maximize my AC.

While I understand this build isn't a kukri weaponmaster, I expect it will do respectable damage at range and quite devastating damage when I crit. Especially when combined with the drow racial crossbow bolts.
You can do all this better by just using a far more serviceable drow arcane archer build.
\

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:32 pm

Frankly wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:59 pm
Expertise doesn't work with range weapons IIRC but id go ahead and test this
Plan is to switch to sword + shield when engaged in melee, the imp expertise / dexterity is so I can tank the damage while my tribals attack.

I played an Arcane Archer previous and while I enjoyed it, they do not support crossbows.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:36 am

Are you going to have weapon focus/epic weapon focus for your melee weapons? Or are you going to be AB poor?

Warning here; that build will be non-functional. You will be a detriment to any group you are in and will in all likelihood be unable to solo anything, or contribute meaningfully to any attempt to do content close to your level.
\

Frankly

Post by Frankly » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:41 am

We are not memeing when we say you should not play this. Every part of your build has spaghetti falling out of its pockets and I would only play it because my irl hunger % is getting pretty bad due to insufficient funds. There have been many viable suggestions offered. Please for the sake of both your enjoying the game and not being totally ignored or victimized by your fellow drow ic for being weak and ineffectual consider them.

Drow are not nice bois.