Another Druid question about multiclassing

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Gazfrost

Another Druid question about multiclassing

Post by Gazfrost » Fri May 25, 2018 10:24 pm

I know everyone says that straight druid is the best.. but i cant help think that monk levels will be better for totem and for elemental forms..
Useless for epic dragon form spell i know.
Monk gives u great ac and up to 6 attacks around plus 10% faster movement and other nice feats, which will make the totem form worth using later on..
Looking at the stats of the Monolithic forms its not that much better than the Elder ele form.

I know I can be getting this all wrong and about to stuff up my build, that is why I want to know what you guys think?

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Another Druid question about multiclassing

Post by Wytchee » Fri May 25, 2018 10:56 pm

Some things to consider:
- Your multiclassed elemental form AB will be garbage. You'll have 6 APR but you'll be swinging at air.
- You will be relegated to tank/support, as you'll do very little damage even when you manage to hit something.
- You will not have Uncanny Dodge, so your dex AC will not apply when you're flatfooted.
- Wisdom AC does not apply when flatfooted, either.
- You have no Damage Reduction penetration in your totem form, so you'll do very little damage late-game.

In my opinion, only multiclass as a druid if you're a spell-focused druid, or just want to play a tank while not contributing at all to damage.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Sat May 26, 2018 1:22 am

Wisdom AC does apply when flat footed. Unless NWN Wiki is wrong or something changed.

But I don't think you looked carefully at how much better monolith shapes are. They are definitely much better than elder. And they were intentionally made powerful and added at level 28 to stop everybody from taking druid/monk, I strongly suspect.

If you want to make a totem druid/monk you can make one who isn't useless (and just having the hide/MS access can be very awesome if you want to play a sneaky rat totem or something) but if you're looking for the optimized druid pure is the way to go.

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Sat May 26, 2018 2:45 am

It isn't far fetched that the OP instantly thought "Monk Levels" ... in past years, Totem Druid Builds were made insanely better with Monk Levels, and I believe Mithraes (who may confirm the history lesson) once wrote in that he 'expected' druids to take 3 levels of monk in their build... and Pure Druids were few and far between... (I think that discussion might have been in the previous forums)

But currently, as the game exists today, see above.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Sat May 26, 2018 4:42 am

Playing a druid now (Wytchee druid attempt #249) I can say that the elder elemental forms are decidedly underwhelming:

- the earth elemental form gets torn up by everything so easily that you might as well be in humanoid form
- the fire elemental form has AB comparable to a dire tiger
- the air elemental form does minimal damage and I actually get more AC in my totem shape
- the water elemental is actually fairly decent, but it has no DR so the regen isn't going to keep up with the damage you take

I only say this as a cautionary tale. The elder forms aren't meant to be the crux of any build. They're meant to give non-totem druids a modicum of survivability while their summons do all the real work. Tl;dr - don't build around elder elemental forms.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:47 am

Wytchee wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 4:42 am
Playing a druid now (Wytchee druid attempt #249) I can say that the elder elemental forms are decidedly underwhelming:

- the earth elemental form gets torn up by everything so easily that you might as well be in humanoid form
- the fire elemental form has AB comparable to a dire tiger
- the air elemental form does minimal damage and I actually get more AC in my totem shape
- the water elemental is actually fairly decent, but it has no DR so the regen isn't going to keep up with the damage you take

I only say this as a cautionary tale. The elder forms aren't meant to be the crux of any build. They're meant to give non-totem druids a modicum of survivability while their summons do all the real work. Tl;dr - don't build around elder elemental forms.
Necroing this because I have a question. Are you saying DR was removed from elemental forms on Arelith? I remember water elemental having DR at some point.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:49 am

So far as I know, the elemental form stats on the wiki are up-to-date.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain