Ideas for gnome knight

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

yesfitness

Ideas for gnome knight

Post by yesfitness » Mon May 21, 2018 3:24 pm

I've been playing around with a character concept for a gnome knight lately, and as I'm fairly new to the server and don't have my head wrapped around all the server-specific class changes I hoped to get some suggestions/hints here.
I'm looking for the classic image of the valiant knight, shiny full plate and all, only a with a few inches missing.
Generally I'm considering some sort of mix of the following classes: Paladin, Fighter, Bard, Purple Dragon Knight, Champion of Torm.
Currently I'm leaning towards 20Fighter/10PDK or 20Bard/10PDK.
I'm not looking for a super powerful build, but it would be nice if he was good at something (even as a gnome :) )
I'd like to have taunt and ride if possible, and I really think twohanding a bastard sword might give the proper looks.
Looking forward to your input!

Opustus

Re: Ideas for gnome knight

Post by Opustus » Mon May 21, 2018 3:40 pm

YES! PDK, Paladin, CoT, Bard and Fighter all mix well together, so there's only the question of which build serves your aspirations and playstyle best.

Generally, Paladin and Bard require some spellcasting to be played properly, whereas the rest don't. You can also use Pally and Bard as a dip class, to get UMD, Tumble and so (bard) or to get Divine grace, Divine might and Divine shield (pally).
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon May 21, 2018 4:38 pm

It would probably be pretty easy to adapt one of the cookie-cutter builds to gnome. Bardadin, Brycer, Ye Olde Paladin, and the CoT build all fit the bill.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

yesfitness

Post by yesfitness » Mon May 21, 2018 6:06 pm

Thanks, I'm looking at the cookie-cutter builds right now and try to fabricobble something.
Havent done any math but maybe something like 16Fighter/4Paladin/10PDK. (Why is taunt not a class skill for fighter?)
Quick question: ist the Paladins "summoned mount" feat active on Arelith and worth spending one Paladin level on?

Rabbid
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rabbid » Tue May 22, 2018 5:05 am

yesfitness wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:06 pm
Thanks, I'm looking at the cookie-cutter builds right now and try to fabricobble something.
Havent done any math but maybe something like 16Fighter/4Paladin/10PDK. (Why is taunt not a class skill for fighter?)
Quick question: ist the Paladins "summoned mount" feat active on Arelith and worth spending one Paladin level on?
No it's not enabled. Also. If you want a gnome melee build look at Bryce build, but aim at having a svirfneblin craft the hammer for you. That would be quite potent.
Kalgoon wrote:Drow PC waltzed into Cordor and proceeded to murder like disco was going out of style
Kuma wrote:It's 1372 after Bane's resurrection but before the Silence of Lolth
Which means that Elminster has been trapped in hell for 130 years
+1

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Sun May 27, 2018 5:31 am

Do NOT go 20/10 Fighter/PDK. You will not have access to Use Magic Device and life will be bad

Any of the cookie cutter builds can be tweaked for a gnome. Brycer is good, and simple to play. You might also try going with the "Ye Olde Paladin" build. With the dispelling properties of Holy Sword, those evil frost giant mages and wicked kobold sorcerers will die quickly to your gnome. I would sacrifice knockdown on that build (since you get one less feat than a human), and use a Ring of the Ram to grant it. The +2 con bonus will come in handy.

https://pastebin.com/7qNDJc8g

I didn't know Don Quixote was a gnome btw. (I mean, that is the Golden Helmet of Mambrino on his head, right?)

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:11 pm

Hey, I rather liked the idea of playing as Don Quixote (the silly knight-wanna-be who then became disillusioned, one of my favorite characters who supposedly both embraces and goes against all the cliches)

How about a Gold Dwarf Paladin/PDK/Bard combo?

I'm thinking Pally 17 / PDK (Protector) 10 / Bard 3

Though not having Paladin 19+ means the bless weapon/deafening clang aren't as maximized (Not as likely to help quartermasters or archers with their arrow bundles, but building your character entirely on some other people's builds is just silly!)

Maybe Paladin 20 / PDK 7 / Bard 3?