Epic Mummy Dust questions

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.
Cozod

Epic Mummy Dust questions

Post by Cozod » Sun May 20, 2018 3:44 pm

I had a few questions about the epic spell, I currently have greater conjuration focus and animal domain. The cookie cutter caster cleric suggests epic mummy, how much better is it than my summon x will be? Should I pick up necro focus if I get mummy dust? I still have 2 pre epic feats that I'm flexible with, so i can work them in.

Would I still want EDK too? Or would they be redundant since I can only have one summon at a time.

If I'll be fine without mummy dust, would spell focus for evocation be worth it, I only really use hammer of the gods from evoc that I'm aware of, that higher DC for stun seems nice.

Jagel

Re: Epic Mummy Dust questions

Post by Jagel » Sun May 20, 2018 6:26 pm

I don’t think you would get much from mummy dust without all the necro foci.

ThruSeer

Post by ThruSeer » Sun May 20, 2018 7:49 pm

I can say that a caster cleric with epic mummy dust is pretty awesome. If it works with your rp I would highly recommend it. I picked up epic mummy dust at 21 and it has made leveling solo from there a breeze. I don't have epic spell focus conjuration or necromancy and I don't have animal domain. I think esf evocation not only helps with greater ruin and hellball, but also with evocation spells like storm of vengeance which has become a staple for me. I think epic dragon knight has a shorter time span than mummy dust, so it is really for dropping situationally.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun May 20, 2018 8:19 pm

Storm of Vengeance is a conjuration spell, actually, so clerics that go for ESF Conjuration and the Dragon Knight will also have that boosted. Evocation clerics do get one very dangerous 9th circle spell, however, which is Implosion.

Dragon Knight's duration on Arelith is 2 rounds/level, so it will stick around for a maximum of 6 minutes. Between that and it's large size (which makes moving it through dungeons tricky), it's mostly used for PvP or boss fights. Mummy Dust is definitely more useful.for clearing dungeons. Each rank of necro focus gives the Mummy Dust summons:
+1 to all skills the summon has ranks in
+1 hit die worth of hit points (meaning, as if the creature was 1 level above in terms of HP, both adding base class HP and CON modifier).
+1 AB
+1 Damage
+1 AC
+1 Universal Saves
So having the foci is nice, but not having them isn't the end of the world.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sun May 20, 2018 8:38 pm

I was thinking of the old undead update from Yellana’s summoning rework. Nevermind.

Cozod

Post by Cozod » Sun May 20, 2018 8:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I'm still pretty low lvl, so I've got some time to process all this. Fitting the undead in RP wise works in a sense. Need to see Aurils view on undead. Could be adventurers that died to the elements. But I don't want to stretch it just to take the feats. I've spent a lot of time in the ghostwoods, I've seen how useful they can be. If you don't serve auril in life, I'll see that you serve her in death.

I'll pass on the dragon for now. I have 5 lvls (lvl 15) till I have a free feat, well see how the character feels and develops from there. Thanks again.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Sun May 20, 2018 9:56 pm

just to make it easy on you

Race: Human
Alignment: Any
Class: 23 Cleric. 4 Fighter, 3 Rogue
Domains: Travel, Plant or Trickery
Gifts: Str, Wis
Base Stats:
Str: 16
Dex: 8
Con: 14
Wis: 15
Int: 14
Cha: 8
Level Progression
c1: Expertise, Improved Expertise
c2:
c3: Extend Spell
c4: (Wisdom)
c5:
c6: Knockdown
c7:
c8: (wisdom)
c9: Blind-fight
c10:
c11:
c12: Maxmize, (Str)
c13:
c14:
c15: Spell Focus: Necromancy
c16: (Str)
c17:
f18: Greater Spell Focus: Necromancy, Weapon Focus
f19: Imp Crit
f20: (Str)
c21: Epic Weapon Focus
c22:
c23:
c24: Epic Spell: Mummy Dust, (Str)
r25:
r26:
r27: Epic Skill Focus: Discipline
c28: (Str)
f29: Armor Skin
c30: Epic Spell Focus: Necromancy, Great Strength
Skills
Total: 183
28 Concentration
33 Discipline
33 Heal
32 Spellcraft
1 Open Lock
30 Tumble
26 UMD

You don't need ESF necromancy, but between grinding up several wizards, a sorc, and a b-cleric with this as well as seeing a non-ESF Necro wizard's vampires still doing work but simply not as much and dying visibly more easily, I think there's a notable impact especially when you play more to buff yourself as opposed to your crowd of undead.

I play it like I have summoning waves for a b-cleric. Wands of Stone Bones, Negative Energy Burst, Mage Armor, and Cat's Grace is what I usually throw on my undead and by that point, you just make...so much money so easily it doesn't matter if you just buff them to go out and do a little grinding. I buff them a lot more if I'm having stealth vampires follow me around Andunor. Which is always.

There's also been some talk about buffing ESF necromancy to give more to your undead. But this is something that's somewhere on the burner alongside the undead summons rework to make lower level stuff not drive players to shoot themselves in the foot for trying to reach epic levels on a wizard or sorcerer necromancer.

Cozod

Post by Cozod » Sun May 20, 2018 11:36 pm

susitsu wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:56 pm
just to make it easy on you
Thanks for the build and the general play style. It seems like a very different feel than what I'm looking for on this character, hes a mix between battle and casting. Gave me the insight to see it wouldn't fit RP with him, which is exactly the feedback I needed to hear, even though I didn't come looking for it. I'll try that build when I make an arcane caster. Thank you again.