Quarterstaff healer build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Xaia

Quarterstaff healer build

Post by Xaia » Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 pm

Hey guys. So I’ve been breaking my head trying to figure out if this is doable in any way, shape or form. Basically I have this character idea of a divine caster type, that can also smash peoples faces with a quarterstaff when needed.
Basically :
Main weapon Quarterstaff.
Healer path preferred (cleric w. monk dip?) - other casters are also accepted, but must possess magic, and must not suck Pufferfish in melee. PvP is not important to me.
Would be nice if it could not suck so much at lower levels that is unbearable. Perhaps conjuration focus?
Hit me if you have any idea / help on how to make this work.

Tourmaline

Re: Quarterstaff healer build

Post by Tourmaline » Fri May 18, 2018 10:08 pm

Well.. For one thing since half orcs get ambidexterity for free (and without 15 dex) I think they are vastly superior to any other option. You can make a strength based healer monk who can hold their own in a fight as a half orc, otherwise you'll have to make a lot of compromises and be a healer first, melee second. Of course you really have to want to play a half-orc to do this.

Conjuration focus is certainly always a good idea (and good to start with), then most would probably go 18 cleric/ 3 monk/ 8 more cleric/ monk at 30 for discipline dump. Or, 24 cleric/6 monk for more speed and free improved knockdown at the risk of being easier to dispel. Transmutation focuses plus war domain is a very good option as epic transmutation + aura of vitality will be huge towards maxing out your stats and a healer/cleric monk will need that, as strength, dex, con and wisdom will all be important.

Xaia

Post by Xaia » Sat May 19, 2018 7:19 am

Alright. I hear ya. What do you think of a ranger dip, for free dual wield, and then essentially ignore the imp two Wep feat?

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sat May 19, 2018 9:30 am

Humans get 8 feats, half-orcs get 7 + ambidex for free so technically humans are equally suitable for quarterstaff shenanigans.

A few ranger lvls might work out. Monk lvls give extra ac and remember that quarterstaff follows the monks unarmed attack progression.

If you can squeeze in parry that might be a fun gimmick for your concept.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat May 19, 2018 6:11 pm

You might try the Str Battlecleric build, just swapping Str for Dex, fighter for ranger, and rogue for monk. You wouldn't be doing any melee fighting until 18, though. You could take the ranger levels earlier, but beware of taking them TOO early and delaying your cleric casting ability. I would, at the very least, get up to 13 cleric before dipping ranger.

You won't have UMD, you'd have to drop a feat somewhere to make room for weapon finesse, and you'd have the other weaknesses of a battle cleric (dispel bait, long wind-up time), but it should be workable. 115 extra HP from overheal is nice.

Edit:Actually you wouldn't even need to do ranger. Fighter 1 & 2 gets you the two weapon feats, and when you take fighter 4 at 30 you could grab WS & EWS.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sat May 19, 2018 9:32 pm

I wouldn't take ranger levels for the sole purpose of getting dual wield. Ranger is one of the classes where you need significant levels to make it worthwhile (at least 9) which is seriously going to hurt your casting abilities and make you very easy to dispel. You're better off figuring out another way to get dual wielding feats. The only time this doesn't really hurt your build is if you're going heavy with another non-casting class and need dual wielding feats, BAB and already have a steady source of damage built up (STR based, heavy rogue levels, etc). Ranger does not really mesh well with spellcaster multiclassing

Half-orc isn't a bad choice (ambidex with a STR bonus, and int/cha aren't primary stats for a monk or casting cleric) if you have your heart set on a healer/monk.

Xaia

Post by Xaia » Tue May 29, 2018 9:37 am

Just wanted to say Thank you for all the replies. I have a pretty good idea about how I’m going to do this now.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue May 29, 2018 5:36 pm

Jagel wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:30 am
Humans get 8 feats, half-orcs get 7 + ambidex for free so technically humans are equally suitable
In some cases, this is not exactly true. Ambidex requires 15 dex however because halforc gets it for free they don't need dex at all to obtain two-weapon fighting.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue May 29, 2018 7:46 pm

Ah, true dat