Healer domains, again

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Void

Healer domains, again

Post by Void » Wed May 16, 2018 3:34 am

Looking for advice/ideas for healer domains and build for a non-good healer.

Thinking about very high wis, high cha, and low physical stats (as in 10 dex/str), conjurer, Trickery domain. Not sure about second domain.

Originally thought about Making Healer29/Monk 1, but looks like this wouldn't be allowed by build rules. (I suppose I could make Healer 27/monk 3 with a very late monk dip, though).

Main issue is that I can't seem to find a good use for charisma score, aside from RP effect and higher number of Turn Undead calls.

Or maybe I should just give up on healer idea and make a cleric.

Thoguhts?
Another forum ban, here we go again.

cptcuddlepants

Re: Healer domains, again

Post by cptcuddlepants » Wed May 16, 2018 3:59 am

I think there's Protection domain gives you a special kind of Sanctuary that scales off Charisma but I don't remember how it works exactly.
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

Void

Post by Void » Wed May 16, 2018 4:05 am

cptcuddlepants wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:59 am
I think there's Protection domain gives you a special kind of Sanctuary that scales off Charisma but I don't remember how it works exactly.
There is, but it is once per day.
http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Protection_domain
Sounds awfully situational.

I suppose anti-undead turning bot would be the way to go?

Ajinai

Post by Ajinai » Thu May 17, 2018 1:06 pm

Charisma is really not used outside of Divine Shield or Divine Might too much, if you can squeeze in the talents for them they could give you some fighting power for those charisma points.

If you are going healer, you might want to take Animal domain since it improves your summons and having a good summon with your heals on it seems to be a pretty decent thing in PvE.

The sanctuary off Protection is also not a bad choice. Yeah, as said before it is a bit situational, but it could be useful in some situation where you can have your summon do some work while you cover inside your bubble.

Healing domain really isn't completely needed, because you are already healing lots and healing more isn't needed, but it does add a nice RP flavor.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu May 17, 2018 1:25 pm

The wis/cha divine shield/prot domain, uh, 'build' is actually somewhat decent, and definitely funny to use in concept, but Idunno how it would actually fare on the server.

Honestly there's only a few good domains in the game: protection for healers specifically gets talked about a lot, travel for haste, trickery for imp invis, war for aura of vit/cats/the clicky, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I miss any?
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Void

Post by Void » Thu May 17, 2018 2:26 pm

One Two Three Five wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:25 pm
The wis/cha divine shield/prot domain, uh, 'build' is actually somewhat decent, and definitely funny to use in concept, but Idunno how it would actually fare on the server.

Honestly there's only a few good domains in the game: protection for healers specifically gets talked about a lot, travel for haste, trickery for imp invis, war for aura of vit/cats/the clicky, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I miss any?
Magic and strength for stoneskin, and fire/water/earth/air domains for theoretically turning elementals.

The good combo seems to be trickery + magic, except it doesn't utilize cha (unless you put point into cross-class skills, then divine trickery will aid you). Oh well. I guess this char will just hav a lot of turn undead attempts for the hell of it.

telmarael

Post by telmarael » Sun May 20, 2018 8:46 am

Travel for haste and death for better harms? Plant is also good for its barkskin, and animal.. well, as a caster you might be aiming to get both summoning epic spells, and conjuration foci are rather viable for that purpose. And uhm... Is it really viable to go high cha on a caster cleric? It kinda boosts some domains like war, protection, and also divines. Otherwise, I've not really seen a cleric use turn undead even once, ahaha. In some situation it would work, for sure, but cha really does seem better for a battle cleric.
- "I would rather not touch this shiny pile of gold", said her conscience
*sounds of explosion*

Dredi

Post by Dredi » Sun May 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Its worth considering if you can get Good/Evil domains for Turn outsiders for if you're considering a decent charisma modifier. Alot of stuff in the mid-late game are outsiders.

You can also make Turn undead target Elementals (Earth, Air, Fire, Water) , Vermin (Plant) and mass damage to constructs as well, I believe.

That being said, you dont really need a base high charisma stat for it, since it doesn't have that massive of an impact on your turning ability and you can always boost it with items.

It all really depends on what you want to play. If you're going for Evil/Neutral then Necromancy is less of an issue, but I'd figure trying to find a concept you like, god you want to follow etc and figuring which of their domains will suit you.

If you were going for Evil Necromancer, you might be able to push for Death domain for the benefits it gives spontaneous casting inflict spells. Trickery is good for Imp invis, Plant for Barkskin, Travel for Haste and maybe Earth for stoneskin.
Roleplay can define your characters actions but when you as a player have the ability to accept loss and understand that sometimes its better to let the other person win because it makes a better story - it is then that you become a good roleplayer.