Deep Gnome Wild Mage Build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

hakkanwarrior

Deep Gnome Wild Mage Build

Post by hakkanwarrior » Mon May 14, 2018 6:04 pm

I need help with a deep gnome wild mage build.

first step: ability stats

Tourmaline

Re: Deep Gnome Wild Mage Build

Post by Tourmaline » Mon May 14, 2018 9:48 pm

17 intelligence, start with at least 16 constitution (you lose 2 as they drop the standard gnome con bonus) which gets modified to 14. 18 (modified to 16) is probably better. Put any leftovers into strength I guess. I'd take gift of crafting as well for making spell components.

I'd take conjuration focuses first and let summons do the work. Then take 2 or 3 more spell focuses, extend spell, maximize, and if you want, craft wand or something.

After level 18 go 3 bard and another bard at 30. Unless you want to be a pure wild mage which seems fun but will get knocked down a lot with no discipline.

Deep gnomes aren't a strong race for wizards in PVP and you'll have lower intelligence than others since you can't start at 19 but you can still do okay, especially with conjuration focus. They also have a unique cultural niche that has a lot of advantages and some disadvantages. If you want a mechanically strong wizard you may just try a normal gnome though that rules out belonging in the underdark, if that's what you're after.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Mon May 14, 2018 10:10 pm

I have to warn you that Deep Gnomes are a generally inefficient race for a wizard class. Like really, really, really inefficient. Terribly.

You lose the con bonus, keep the str loss, and pointlessly gain dex. I can still do a build pretty quickly.

(I managed to post this in another thread.)

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Mon May 14, 2018 10:16 pm

They're weaker but I've played one and still did quite well.

It's not terrible like playing a -2 intelligence race would be (or something really wacky like a svirf sorcerer) but there are better ways to go if you want maximum effectiveness. If you want to be a deep gnome and a wizard I still say do it. It's really not terrible.

But this topic did make me wonder why svirf wizards don't have a "Gift of the Illusionist" option like drow have with melee/clergy so I suggested it.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Mon May 14, 2018 10:22 pm

I do like that idea, and generally speaking, I don't really dissuade anyone from playing anything that is a caster. I mean you max your casting stat and get some con and you're probably gonna have a good time on the basis you can cast spells.

Tourmaline also covered what you need for the build rather well.

hakkanwarrior

Post by hakkanwarrior » Tue May 15, 2018 6:27 pm

Alright, thanks everyone!
After the stat change took into effect, I actually started with:

str: 12
dex: 12
con: 14
int: 18
wis: 10
char: 4

And the gift of learning languages.

I am now lvl 4, and I chose spell focus and greater spell focus in enchanting for feats. and increased my int ability score to 19.
What should I take for my next series of feats?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!