Shadowdancer Rogue

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

SykoNytro

Shadowdancer Rogue

Post by SykoNytro » Sun May 13, 2018 7:40 pm

I've been scouring the forums trying to figure out a proper build that focuses on Shadowdancer, getting Epic ShadowLord. From what I can find, I can see some people saying to take 17 into Shadowdancer, but some others say 16. I've gone through it testing it and I just can't seem to figure out why these numbers matter...

I don't know what I'm missing. I've seen builds like 9/5/16 Rogue/Fighter/SD but I have no idea in what order I should be leveling these, should I be rushing Shadowdancer as soon as possible to get Epic ShadowLord?

Baron Saturday

Re: Shadowdancer Rogue

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun May 13, 2018 7:52 pm

Shadowdancers get a bonus feat at level 16, which is probably why some people say to go for that. At 17, the shadow gets a boost in power in the form of improved regen and DR. Personally I would suggest 17.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

SykoNytro

Post by SykoNytro » Sun May 13, 2018 11:31 pm

Ok thanks, I was thinking it had to do with 2 separate bonuses people were talking about, now it makes sense.

Now in terms of leveling, should I be getting Shadowdancer maxed as soon as possible to get access to Epic Shadowlord ASAP? Or should that wait before rogue/fighter levels?

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Mon May 14, 2018 1:07 am

You can only take 10 SD levels before 20 (because it's a prestige class) so the earliest you can possibly get the epic shadowlord is 23.

And you can't take SD until level.. 8? I think because of the 10 hide requirement..

I'd probably start rogue for the extra skill points and free weapon finesse. What you do next depends on how much rogue or fighter you want. You want at least 4 fighter levels before 20 for four attacks per round and a fifth in the late 20s to max out discipline and get epic weapon specialization.

I don't know what the "best" build is otherwise. More rogue means more sneak attack damage, stronger shadow is great in PVE but supposedly almost worthless in PVP. I'm playing something similar as a side character and I don't really know yet where the sweet spot is that the shadow is good enough you don't need to improve it any more and can still handle rough epic enemies.

SykoNytro

Post by SykoNytro » Mon May 14, 2018 1:32 am

Ok thanks a lot, that helps a bunch. I'm not a huge pvper so, I don't really care all too much about that part. Good to know there's some leeway with it all.

Terenfel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Terenfel » Mon May 14, 2018 5:25 am

if you want 4 attack you need 16 bab before epic, you can do that with 4 fighter levels. but only if you have 8 shadowdancer and 8 rogue levels before epics. as you cant take 12 shadowdancer levels pre-epic and 10 Shadowdancer only has bab 7, rogue 6 has 4, that leaves you with only 15 bab pre-epic. but shadowdancer and rogue 8 both has bab 6, that leaves you with the magical 16 bab pre-epic.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Mon May 14, 2018 5:40 am

If you are really invested in the shadow. I say easy and cool to way of doing it is 3 rogue lvl then 4 fighter then 4th rogue before taking 10 shadow dancer lvls and rest cam be fighter till lvl 20 so you get your 16 bab.

(Your shadow will grant you more sneak attack

Then take rest shadow dancer maybe one of your epic lvls as fighter for epic weapon specIalization)

Your shadow should be able to hips with you and your shadow daze dc will be decent.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again