Rogue spy build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Project Hydros

Rogue spy build

Post by Project Hydros » Fri May 11, 2018 9:47 pm

So, I kind of want a rogue who can understand every language, but dont know how to do the level spread or stats for it, I've been mulling it over for about an hour now, and just cant figure it out, anyone got any ideas?

afreshstart

Re: Rogue spy build

Post by afreshstart » Fri May 11, 2018 10:23 pm

If the point is to understand, all you need is 40 lore. just pump your lore to 30, get ESF:lore or some +lore gear and you'll understand anything that is being said.

cptcuddlepants

Post by cptcuddlepants » Fri May 11, 2018 10:25 pm

To understand every language, you will need a minimum of 40 Lore while your character has no items equipped. Any bonus gained from gear doesn't count towards the translate roll.

(Math: Minimum roll to translate a sentence is 41, and rolling 1 is not an autofail. So, 1 + 40 = 41, which makes the roll.)

To go into detail - it'll depend on how much Intelligence score your character has. You'll most likely need Epic Skill Focus in lore. Taking a 14-intelligence build, for example: 28 (purchased ranks) + 2 (int modifier) + 10 (Epic skill focus feat) = 40

However if your character has 18 intelligence minimum, you can get by with Skill Focus: Lore and free up an epic feat. You need 33 points in lore, and the Skill Focus feat. 33 (purchased ranks) + 4 (int modifier) + 3 (skill focus feat) = 40

Hope this help!
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

Rebel4ever

Post by Rebel4ever » Sat May 12, 2018 9:30 am

Good intel for plenty stat points...your need at least 14 to afford lore/spot or listen....or both and the usual stuff like open lock, tumble, hide, move silent and search.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sat May 12, 2018 2:14 pm

You can just grab a high INT to ensure you'll get all the skills to pull off a proper spy. There are several rogue builds out there, many of them are on par in terms of power while others are more gimmicky and require finetuning to play. If you're looking for a no non-sense rogue build, then the Rogue24/Fighter6 is probably your pick.

Rogue can be easily mixed with a variety of other classes, though, such as CoT, Barbarian, Blackguard, Ranger, Assassin, Harper Scout, Shadowdancer, Purple Dragon Knight, Dwarven Defender, and Weapon Master. Paladin is also a good combination, but RP-wise it may be a bit iffy. I think the only fully lore endorsed Rogue/Paladin is a paladin of Baravar Cloakshadow, a gnome deity, but I believe players are given a lot of freedom to interpret classes and lore to make the kinds of characters they wish to play.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

TheShadowdove

Post by TheShadowdove » Sat May 12, 2018 4:14 pm

I could see a rogue paladin working for most deities that encourage uncovering lost knowledge or protecting it.

Like a dungeon delving fellow who faithfully believes in the deities ideals.

Kind of a fun rp concept.

Like an Indiana Jones who is backed by a big guy upstairs.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sat May 12, 2018 4:46 pm

Deneir and Savras sound apt for that, but I'm unsure if they host paladins. Arvoreen could probably work, btw, I remember reading from several sources that he accepts stealing from other folk than hin.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Mon May 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Ughh I will always hate the lore letting you understand languages. In some ways it made learning a language pointless since you can understand everything said while really not caring if you can speak it. Especially for things like Animal and TC.