Is it mechanically possible to play a blind archer?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Void

Is it mechanically possible to play a blind archer?

Post by Void » Wed May 09, 2018 5:23 am

I mean an actually blind archer. (with -blind command)

Last time someone blinded my character, I sorta expected to see enemies marked, because wiki says:
Can only hear creatures within the max attack range when listener is blind.
And a range of a bow is huge.

That didn't really happen, though, and character could only hear creature in the touch range.

Am I missing anything?
Another forum ban, here we go again.

TimeAdept

Re: Is it mechanically possible to play a blind archer?

Post by TimeAdept » Wed May 09, 2018 7:58 am

NWN's awful with blind, and chooses to make it work as "complete sensory deprivation", instead. You can't see, hear, listen, or interact with anything beyond the blind range, making your character functionally useless, and unable to do even basic RP aspects.

Void

Post by Void » Wed May 09, 2018 8:02 am

TimeAdept wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:58 am
NWN's awful with blind, and chooses to make it work as "complete sensory deprivation", instead. You can't see, hear, listen, or interact with anything beyond the blind range, making your character functionally useless, and unable to do even basic RP aspects.
Well, that's sad. Thanks for the response.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 pm

Just to point out.. No one sane would say you are doing it wrong if you RPed a blind archer without using the -blind command.

This is a game with a lot of limitations so sometimes you have to be flexible. Not breaking rules of course but being creative with the tools.

Anyway hope you do it, sounds like a fun concept. A blind monk AA using zen archery would be particularly awesome.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Tue May 15, 2018 12:23 am

Tourmaline wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 pm
Just to point out.. No one sane would say you are doing it wrong if you RPed a blind archer without using the -blind command.

This is a game with a lot of limitations so sometimes you have to be flexible. Not breaking rules of course but being creative with the tools.

Anyway hope you do it, sounds like a fun concept. A blind monk AA using zen archery would be particularly awesome.
Yeah if you invest nothing in spot and all in listen and RP/interact in the word as if you can't see should be fine. Stealth characters will essentially auto pass their hide part since it will greatly outclass your spot. Also high listen lets you "see" people even through walls sometimes. Having a cranked wisdom, items that do plus wisdom epic skill focus wisdom and you will be surprised as the distance you will hear people whisper. Until your listen is really high, or just in general, i would have your character avoid running due to not being able to see things he might run into.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again