New player questions

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Quarion

New player questions

Post by Quarion » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:27 pm

Hi! I haven't played for about 10 years and I'm trying to get back into this since the EE steam release. I have fond memories of playing on FRC back in the day. I just have a few questions I'd like to get answered before I roll a character.

1. Can you save skill points? (Assuming not, but can't find it in writing anywhere)

2. Is there a multiclass penalty on top of the ECL?

4. How many skill points do I need to invest in crafting as a non-ranger archer?

5. What kind of bows are available? Are there craftable bows? (only see xbows)

6. Do I need skill points in ride? How many for reasonable playability?

7. Is UMD worth getting if I'm not going to max it? (for example, are there monk dodge boots requiring 20-30's?)

Thank you for any info! Much appreciated.

Cortex

Re: New player questions

Post by Cortex » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm

1. As many as you want.

2. No.

4. Leveling skill points and craft points are separated systems. If you're reffering to the latter, I'm lacking a proper answer, but you'll need forging, art crafting and carpentry if I'm not mistaken.

5. http://wiki.arelith.com/Carpentry

6. No(unless you intend on horse riding, then yes). And the latter is still up to debate. It's a new thing.

7. 10-20 UMD is generally acceptable for scrolls/wands/etc. Items that require more tend to be of niche and specialized use, or have higher requirements.
:)

Versatile

Post by Versatile » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:19 pm

If you are making your own arrows from nothing:
You have to have forging for the arrowheads (17 steel, 22 demask ((cost 80 cp a bundle not counting prep work for damask))
carpentry for the arrow shafts (10)
and art (1pt)for the casting molds.
Either forging or carpentry can put your arrowheads and shafts together so one of the two needs to be higher to create the bundles. ( 21 steel, 25 damask arrow bundle)

Keep in mind none of that involves making essences to treat arrows for more damage.

Quarion

Post by Quarion » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:30 pm

Thanks for the speedy responses! Just a few more :)

1) Do the AA arrow buffs stack with the essences?

2) Are there better bows to be found, or is the craftable mighty+2 comparable to anything in the world?

3) I plan on a few levels of bard so I'll have access to scrolls/wands, but are there other items of import a medium UMD would be desirable for, such as dodge+2/+3 boots?

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:39 pm

1. Yes! It also stacks with the archer/sniper path bonus damage. There's a guide on the wiki for how to get the most damage out of your arrows. Note that crafting arrow bundles is a huge pain in the snuggybear unless you have lots of playtime, so many dedicated archers end up taking the archer path on ranger.

2. Bows in general are a bit lackluster. I've gotten a +2 ab/+4 mighty from loot before, but generally speaking the grand longbow is about the best you're gonna get. Most of your damage will be coming from class bonuses and essences on your arrows.

3. To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any boots out there with better than a +1 dodge bonus. When artefacts (items with randomly generated properties) were a thing, there was always the possibility of picking up some godly bit of gear with a high UMD requirement. These days, most stuff that will have a high UMD is going to be crafted, so your best bet is to browse the crafting section of the wiki, especially in tailoring, helmets, special weapons and special armor. The required UMD isn't always known or listed. If it says "Increased UMD check," that generally means it will be anywhere from 35 to 70+ and and you'll need skill foci, a high charisma mod, or specially enchanted gear.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Quarion

Post by Quarion » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:46 pm

Thank you!

I think I've settled on a build, unless arrow crafting turns me away from it.

See you in game!

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:52 pm

Happy to help. Good luck!
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Quarion

Post by Quarion » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:19 am

Couple more for you guys. Thanks again in advance!

1) At what level is invisibility cast from the Gift of Hiding?

2) At what level is invisibility cast from the herbalism craftable?

3) At what level is barkskin cast from the herbalism craftable?

4) Does an adamantine helmet have a +3 ac armor bonus or deflection bonus? If armor, does it stack with a fullplate armor bonus or is it like bracers?

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:32 am

1) Character level*rounds.

2) 3.

3) 3 (or at least was last I checked eons ago).

4) Deflection.
:)

Quarion

Post by Quarion » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:36 am

Awesome! Thanks!