New to NWN, have a little DND experience

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

momodig

New to NWN, have a little DND experience

Post by momodig » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:39 pm

I need help making a build for a character. I'm terrible at min/max... and I generally only play one character... so I'm asking for some advice on how to setup my character so I don't make any major mistakes down the road.

I want to play Ranger Dwarf if possible... I don't have weapon/armor/skill preference. I just want something easy to play... and that will be decent at solo PVE. If all possible if anyone cares to offer up some builds, keep in mind I'm new, so presenting a build to me in a easy way to read and understand would be great.

Thanks.

Temperance

Re: New to NWN, have a little DND experience

Post by Temperance » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Welcome! Ranger dwarf is very do-able, STR based being the most solid. It gives great damage against Favored Enemies and acceptable damage against others, all while having access to Move Silently and Hide along with other skills. Your AC is also manageable thanks to the craftable Ranger Leathers.

Your stat spread will look like this:

STR: 16 (18 after gift.)
DEX: 10
CON: 16 (18 after gift)
WIS: 14
INT: 14
CHA: 6

and your class/feat progresssion:

Ranger: Exotic Profiency
Ranger:
Ranger: Weapon Focus
Ranger:
Ranger:
Ranger: Expertise
Ranger:
Ranger:
Ranger: Improved Expertise
Ranger:
Ranger:
Ranger: Improved Critical
Ranger:
Ranger:
Ranger: Blindfight
Ranger:
Ranger:
Ranger: Knockdown
Ranger:
Ranger:
Ranger: Bane of Enemies
Fighter: Epic Weapon Focus
Fighter: Armor Skin
Fighter: Great Strength I
Fighter: Weapon Spec
Fighter:
Fighter: Epic Weapon Spec, Epic Skill Focus: Discipline
Bard:
Bard:
Bard: Epic Prowess

You've some decisions to make, specifically your weapon choice, Favored Enemies and whether you dip rogue or bard. This build covers the bard variation.

With weapon choice, you want something you can dual-wield to make most of the free feats. Kukri, Handaxe and Doublesword come to mind, each presenting their own strengths. Kukri has the best crit-range of the bunch, but takes a feat. Doublesword similarly requires a feat, but with Arelith changes you'll get +2 AB (Not that you're hurting for AB.) It's also a bit more rough when you've got to switch to a shield for emergencies, you'll want a tank most of the time. Handaxes don't require a feat and are solid if you don't want to drop something on exotic.

Favored Enemy comes to down preference, though I'd recommend picking up the PC races at the very least. You get 4 more with studied enemies on Arelith.

momodig

Post by momodig » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:14 pm

Wow thanks for the quick reply - and using such an easy format to understand. I do have one question about my stats... the stats you present, show me with a DEX of 10... is that before or after the -2 dex because of a dwarf (It's been so long since I played, I do believe dwarves have -2 to the dex stat).

Temperance

Post by Temperance » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:20 pm

They get -2 Cha, +2 Con. No problem!

momodig

Post by momodig » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:56 pm

Just a side a note - I'm going to use this build - but I'm doing some reading, trying to get a friend to buy the game and try the server - instead of starting a new thread, I'll just ask it in this one... He likes warlocks... I've been looking at the in game character generator but don't see that as a class option, the wiki says you must choose bard first?

cptcuddlepants

Post by cptcuddlepants » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:05 pm

momodig wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:56 pm
Just a side a note - I'm going to use this build - but I'm doing some reading, trying to get a friend to buy the game and try the server - instead of starting a new thread, I'll just ask it in this one... He likes warlocks... I've been looking at the in game character generator but don't see that as a class option, the wiki says you must choose bard first?
Yes. Create a character as a Bard, and when you log in you'll get a series of menus with little customization options - gifts and so forth. One of the options a Bard will get, is the menu to become Lawful if you desire, as well as the menu to select the Warlock path.
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

momodig

Post by momodig » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:22 pm

Ok I'm just passing all this onto him in a email... ty you... one last question, warlocks get a fiend... is that a spell they get or how do they summon it?

momodig

Post by momodig » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:27 pm

Sorry for all these cross-questions, back to my ranger build, I noticed I made a stat error - when I try to go back to the main menu, delete character is not an option, it's greyed out how do you delete that ranger and start over?

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:45 pm

One pro tip- you can select the whole 'build' posted above, then go in game.

In game, hit J to open your journal. Go to the last tab, and ctrl+v, to paste your whole build in there, so you can always reference your journal rather then a forum post.
\

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:48 pm

Oh also you can float skills, it doesn't matter if you don't use all your skill points when you level up, you can 'float' as many as you want.

This is super important because you dont want to spend any 'tumble' skill points until you take your bard level, then dump all 30 in at once. If you dont do it like that, you waste a TON of skill points.
\

Conversations With Your Car Alarm

Post by Conversations With Your Car Alarm » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:54 am

To delete a character you type -delete_character twice. And unless you change your character name you need to wait till a server reset to remake, else things will get messed up on the new character.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:24 am

momodig wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:22 pm
Ok I'm just passing all this onto him in a email... ty you... one last question, warlocks get a fiend... is that a spell they get or how do they summon it?
Warlocks get their fiend summons through the summon creature 1-6 spells.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain