Warlock build idea?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

zinlor

Warlock build idea?

Post by zinlor » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:47 am

So I'm going to test the waters on a warlock character. Though I haven't the slightest idea on how to build it. I'm no good at builds at all really. Anyone out there who can give me a hand with it?

Look to Windward

Re: Warlock build idea?

Post by Look to Windward » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:07 am

Warlocks are generally built only one way. That is, going heavily into CON, and purchasing Epic Damage Reduction feats. This makes for an extremely hardy character with (for anything that's not fey-pacted) a beefy summon to supplement their own considerable eldritch blast damage.

Cortex's Build Compendium says pretty much everything that needs to be said on how to build a warlock. It's well worth checking out.
It's crooked, but it's the only game in town.

zinlor

Post by zinlor » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:08 am

Much thanks I'll check it out.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:00 am

There's also the Unconventional Warlocks thread if you're looking for something different.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

godhand-
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by godhand- » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:32 am

On the topic of unconventional warlocks, can warlocks multiclass with othe casting classes? - eg will it mechanically work or have issues?
Cortex wrote: Addendum, the immediate above post by godhand is wrong in about every aspect, as were most of his other posts.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:49 am

Haven't done it myself, but others have, and have mentioned that there's some bugginess.
Wytchee wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:04 am
Hunter548 wrote:Warlock dips are fairly optimal on mages and clerics who want the laser eyes, bugs aside (There's weird spell interactions). Charisma based divine shield locks are doable to a degree, and lose less to oppertunity cost now that their DR got nerfed hard.
It's more than just weird spell interaction. Any spell that's in the wizard's spellbook that's also on the warlock list of spells (regardless of warlock level or type) is set to the CL of your bard levels.

So a wizard 27/Warlock 3 will cast Confusion from her Wizard's spellbook at CL 3.

I had to roll an epic character because of this. Be forewarned.
What sort of build were you thinking?

godhand-
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by godhand- » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:03 am

i've been wanting to play a primarily support focus character, keeping other people alive and not really being the dps, but enabling others to be damn near unkillable - i was originally looking at healer path cleric, but i feel as a support cleric your domain choices are optimal with travel/trickery....

enter the feylock - constant invis/displacement/haste and i get to free up those domains for other purposes.

i was thinking 12 fey 18 cleric or could do 13fey 17 cleric - for the skilldump at 30, but lose 1 l9 spell per rest.
(i'd go 12 fey before 20 because those buffs going to be a pretty solid basis of the build for the rest of the levels)
domains war/protection
war for aura of vitality and i'd take epic transmutation - with aura of vitality and maximise animal i can put all phyisical stats on +11....
protection for cats grace and sanctuary - can heal party in dangerous circumstances.
EDR - survivability and tankiness - backbone of most lock builds....
OR instead of EDR could take sf/gsf conjuration? - given i'm primarily support the improved summons could be beneficial... - sacrifice tankiness for the water-ele regen aura (stacking with regen spells :D)

any thoughts?
Cortex wrote: Addendum, the immediate above post by godhand is wrong in about every aspect, as were most of his other posts.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:56 pm

One problem you're going to run into there is dispels. With only 12 and 18 CL respectively, your buffs are going to be very easy to dispel. Not as huge an issue with the warlock buffs, as you can just reapply them, but problematic with the cleric ones.

I would really suggest making a healer cleric, bard, or one of the many PDK builds for support instead. Worth noting that you don't have to do healing domain to make a healer cleric - travel/trickery works just fine.