Kobold Stealth RDD

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

The1Kobra

Kobold Stealth RDD

Post by The1Kobra » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:38 am

Hiya!

So, I've been looking into kobold RDD builds, in case I ever want to roll a character and make another alt. I've been looking into trying to make a kobold RDD with maxed hide/move silently and listen or spot. Probably listen to synnergize with amplify. Anyways...

I've come up with some combos, though unfortunately favored soul is gone or I'd jump on that. I was thinking of doing a 10/10/10 Bard/Ranger/RDD, with the INT gift because I'll need the extra skillpoints. I tried coming up with a blackguard build, though I couldn't make it work, not enough skill points. I was also looking at Monk/Sorcerer/RDD, though in that case, I wonder if it's mechanically viable since the classes don't synnergize well.

As an aside, I figure this character should probably be as self-reliant as possible. So being able to self buff would be helpful.

Here's what I've got so far for the ranger build:

12/16/14/14/10/12
14/16/14/16/10/12

Pre-epic(7): Blind Fight, Weapon Focus, IMPR Crit, KD, IKD, ?, ?
Epic(4+1R): EWF, Eprowess, Armor Skin, G-Str 1, Epic Spot/Listen

30/16/16/18/10/14

Anyways, it probably isn't the strongest build out there. If anyone has any recommendations though, I'd be all for it!

afreshstart

Re: Kobold Stealth RDD

Post by afreshstart » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:59 pm

Well for split I'd go something like 4Bard/16Ranger/10 RDD. Take 3 bard pre epic and 4th level at 28 for tumble and umd dump. Ranger 16 will give you hide in plain sights in natural areas.

Also you really want expertise and imp-expertise on melee build. I'd also take ESF:Disc in order to not get KDed.

And you don't need 16 dex, 10 is enough. You don't need CHA as well, you can just reduce it to 8.

The1Kobra

Post by The1Kobra » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:57 pm

Noted on the expertise bit, I'll integrate that. I'll probably want exotic weapon for kukris.

16 Ranger is sure tempting, and HIPS is really nice! So is the additional +1 dual wield AC, plus companion benefits.

The reason I was thinking of going 10 bard though was for self buffing. This character would probably work alone a lot, so having the bull's STR, Cat's grace, see invis, amplify (that +20 listen is great for spotting sneaks), IMPR Invis, an self cast haste would all be pretty useful. I know it could be substituted by wands, but... I'm not sure how many I'd be able to get.

Also, the character probably wouldn't follow a nature deity, which reduces the benefits of the ranger spells, although self-cast cat's grace and FoM should still be useful. (I'll miss camouflage though :()

Lastly, are you sure dumping DEX is a good idea? I'll likely be using the kobold draconic armor with a max dex of 4.

afreshstart

Post by afreshstart » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:38 am

Well I thought you'd use rangers runic, which allows you to use caster level 12 barkskin and gives you +2 dex so you'd need +6 from cats+gear. But if you'll go for kobold armor it might be a good idea to set it to 12. 10 caster level is bard really low and you'll have access to UMD early on. You'll still have the buffs and some will be higher caster level. Although it may get expensive :/

The1Kobra

Post by The1Kobra » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:11 pm

Ah, the Ranger runic armor is nice too! But I thought the kobold armor would be more fitting. I was as well, looking at class combos other than ranger, but unfortunately the others just don't get enough skillpoints.

As for this character, he'd likely spend long lengths of time without being able to pick up wands/potions and generally could have difficulty getting them. Which is partly why I was looking for self reliance with the buffing. Still, there are advantages to going 16/4/10.

I thought about this build, what do you think?

Pre-epic: 9/3/8 Ranger/Bard/RDD
Epic: 16/4/10 Ranger/Bard/RDD

13/14/14/14/14/8
15/14/14/16/14/8

Pre-epic(7): Blind Fight, Weapon Focus, IMPR Crit, KD, IKD, Exotic, Expertise
Epic(4+2R): EWF(Ranger Bonus), Eprowess (Ranger Bonus), Armor Skin, Epic Spot, G-Str 1-2

32/14/16/18/14/10

I also don't think taking one of the paths would be a good idea, this build is better off dual wielding. I suppose I could go for a two-hander instead but ranger is made to dual wield. Plus I could switch to a shield for more AC in a pinch. Hopefully I'll also have enough spot to detect sneaks without amplify...
Last edited by The1Kobra on Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

afreshstart

Post by afreshstart » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:21 pm

Seems nice! Dual weilding on a ranger is great, you'll get +2 AC by doing so at level at 12. I don't think you need the two great strength feats. Taking ESF:Disc and Imp Expertise is better imho. You'll have very high discipline because of your strength score but, kobolds are a small race so your enemies will get a +4 bonus while trying to knock you down.

Also I think you'll be able to use wands pretty early on. I guess you'll start odd as 3 ranger and then go 3 bard? You should have enough UMD for most wands and low level scrolls.

The1Kobra

Post by The1Kobra » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:13 am

I'd admittedly, probably start with 4 ranger then 3 bard, to get the +2 tumble AC while levelling up.

I was also considering dropping STR by 1, bumping DEX by 2, then taking out one of the great STR feats, which leaves me with one epic open. I could take ESF Disc, though for this character I might view the stealth focus as being more important. Are you sure IMPR Expertise is worth it? It's probably going to leave this character's AB in the gutter when activated.

Alternatively, I could bump CHA by 2 so I can eventually self-cast mage armor, amplify, and protection from evil. Admittedly on another bard character I've found amplify and the ability to truck around with an 84 listen to be very helpful with the sneak/stealth play. Still, it probably isn't worth it.

Favored soul if it was still around would be wonderful for this character, alas...