Healer path focuses?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

godhand-
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Healer path focuses?

Post by godhand- » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:04 am

looking at playing a healer path cleric.
possibly either 24/3/3 Cleric bard palemaster
or 27/3 cleric bard
the idea is pure support class but i'm unsure of what epic focuses to take for a support?
Conjuration Necromancy - mummy dust, dracolich
Conjuration Evocation - hell ball, dragon knight, geater ruin
Necromancy Evocation - mummy dust OR Dracolich, hellball, greater ruin?

Pros cons?
Cortex wrote: Addendum, the immediate above post by godhand is wrong in about every aspect, as were most of his other posts.

Astral

Re: Healer path focuses?

Post by Astral » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:18 am

If you're going for 2 focuses then I'd say Conjuration Transmutation fit your concept the best.

Necromancy - I dont think its a good idea to play with undead summons on a ~healer~. If not for thematic reasons, then for the fact your healing spells damage undead instead of healing them. Also worth mentioning that Conjuration and Necromancy are not separate scaling factors for summons - meaning your Dracolich will only scale with necromancy, not both.

Evocation - Not as good as it used to be but still a viable option for caster clerics, with GR hellball combo.

Transmutation - Gives you, eventually, +2 to all your animal buffs. Which I think is a must-have on a support character who levels up in a party or with summons.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:28 pm

Necromancy isn't so bad once you hit mummy dust, with mummy summons. There's no real reason right now to take necromancy focuses though, as the bonuses are minimal and you'll have a hard time levelling as opposed to taking conjuration.

Transmutation and conjuration are great, as Astral outlined.

You might want to consider Abjuration if you can fit it, dispelling is very useful - albeit it's more of a PvP thing.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Moominpappa

Post by Moominpappa » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:03 am

It might not be what you want rp-wise but my healer has 4 levels in monk (so far) and I just drop everything into dex and wisdom. If you do that with transmutation focus too you will have insanely good AC and no worries about being caught flat footed (monk wis modifier). It means you can cast spells like a madman but not have to worry too much about being the squishy support that everyone has to work so hard to protect. Or go pure healer for respite...And pretend you are a druid with a mountain of summons.