Rogue - Quality of life question

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Lost in the dark

Rogue - Quality of life question

Post by Lost in the dark » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:20 am

I have been thinking of a new rogue heavy character big on hide and move silently. The last class to be chosen for 10 levels would either be a Champion of Torm - bonus feats, bonus saves, divine wrath which would make the character much more punchy and survivable or ten levels in Monk primarily for +30% movement speed. Both work for the background in mind so the question is does the movement bonus make sneaks that much more fun to play even if mechanically in other areas the character would be weaker?

Appreciate no right or wrong answers but views from the folk who have walked this path would be welcomed.

Maladus

Re: Rogue - Quality of life question

Post by Maladus » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:32 am

Movement speed aside, Monk has so much more synergy with Rogue than CoT does. You can continue taking Hide, Move Silent, and Tumble as class skills. If you use Kamas you benefit from the Monk's Unarmed BAB and you can use Flurry with it. Also, 10 levels of Monk gets you Cleave, Deflect Arrows, Still Mind, Purity of Body, Improved Knockdown, Wholeness of Body, Improved Evasion and Ki Strike for free (although 10 levels of Monk isn't really necessary).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BAH ... JyXas/edit

Check out that build for an example build using Kamas.

Lost in the dark

Post by Lost in the dark » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:36 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I was looking at a Rogue 16 / Paladin 4 / COT 10 build with a focus on Dex and a second stat of Cha. I get the Monk synergies but thought it might be fun to play a Divine Mighting Rogue but wasn't sure how much I would miss the movement speed boost.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:37 pm

This may be a source of ideas. Just remember, your HP will be low if you choose to stat in dex and con, but it can be a very fun build to play otherwise.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15677&p=131869&hil ... er#p131869