What are signs of your your build being bad? (PvE)

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cybernet21

What are signs of your your build being bad? (PvE)

Post by Cybernet21 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:33 am

So i honestly dont think my build is a bad one,just not optimized for solo PvE and 1v1 PvP,but this got me wondering,what signs do you guys see as a sign of a bad build on PvE (in a mechanical way)? I have no idea
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

One Two Three Five

Re: What are signs of your your build being bad? (PvE)

Post by One Two Three Five » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:01 am

Struggling in at-level content compared to similar builds. For example, I wouldn't compare a paladin's damage output vs non-outsider/dragon/undead/evil against, say, a scimmy whimmy. OR: Not getting access to class features due to bad building decisions.

Is your main-class fighter doing worse than other main class fighters of a similar level in at-level content? Bad.

Does your level 20 bard only somehow get the bard song of a level 12 bard? Bad.

Does your wizard not get level 9 spells? how

Now, not everything comes down to build. There's other factors:
Gearing: If you've geared badly, or incompletely, you're going to have problems compared to someone with a mirror build and better gear. Also, not utilizing UMD/Class-based consumeables can push you back.

Play: A cornersneak rogue isn't going to be very good in the hands of someone who wants to play it as a face tank. A cleric player that thinks casting divine favor takes too long is going to have problems doing damage vs one that casts it, etc etc.

Teamwork: A party with a bard and a buffbot is going to do better (regardless of build to a POINT don't quote this and say anything smarmy) in pve content than a party without.

You can mitigate bad builds somewhat by using your resources, playing well, and using a team. Of course, if you built badly, especially if you built badly on purpose so you could make smug posts about RP builds (I'm sure you didn't do this but they lurk, friend. They lurk.) it's pretty likely you aren't going to do at least those first two.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:57 am

That is very insightful,thanks!
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:40 pm

Not true every time, but it can help re-affirm doubts: If you or someone else think they could have X build over yours in the party, and have better output.

It doesn't apply every time if the other build would just have better synergy, but say... I'd rather have a STR WM as DPS in my party over a rogue.
:)

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:12 pm

Of course, if you built badly, especially if you built badly on purpose so you could make smug posts about RP builds (I'm sure you didn't do this but they lurk, friend. They lurk.)
Oh, that reminds me, if you need to assure yourself that you chose your build for RP rather than utility, you probably built it badly and are engaging in post-hoc rationalization.

flower

Post by flower » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:32 am

Also gear often makes up a lot. If you lack neccesary equiptment it will make your character underperform.