What are some good PDK builds?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Durandal

What are some good PDK builds?

Post by Durandal » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:16 am

Preferably to make a really good PDK tank. ty

One Two Three Five

Re: What are some good PDK builds?

Post by One Two Three Five » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:58 am

I don't know if it's good but I've had the idea of a rogue 7/PDK 10/SD 13 in my head for a while. It's probably bad though.

20 bard/10 PDK?
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:14 am

I've been tempted a few times to try a DD/PDK build. Something along the lines of Rogue (or bard) 6/PDK 10/DD 14 with the Protector or Valiant path and EDR 3. This allows you to effectively guard 2 allies and get the attention of another enemy with Oath of Wrath. Valiant gets you some extra healing (10 Regen for 10 rounds) with Final Stand and some nice damage/AB buffs for yourself and party. Protector makes Oath of Wrath wreck mages (20% spell failure at level 10!), and at level 7 PDK you can drop an AoE restoration and buff your Herioc Shield target up to a whopping 30% DI (to everything, mind).

You yourself will be a slightly below-average damage dealer, very respectable tank, and you'll turn your party into a wrecking ball.

Also, 1235? PDK supporting an SD's Shadow makes the shadow suuuuuper tanky. In PvP you also get to be useful, though more as support.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Kreindis

Post by Kreindis » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:36 am

I stole this from Astral on the PDK build forums and liked it a lot.

15 Divine Champion/5 Fighter/10 Knight (Protector).

It's a Kensai as well although it could just as easily be used without Kensai if you don't want UMD. All around good Knight-type build without Divine Wrath. And It's there for when you need it.

Saves are good, you have a bunch of feats to do whatever you'd like with, I used them to improve saves further but you could in theory also build for EDR.
Former Characters: Madeline Thorne, Falloren Ciel (FL), Sorina Lokevir, Ceinwen Randallar.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:58 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:Baron's DD goodness.
<33333
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:39 pm

I'm playing around with a PDK/DD tank currently spread exactly as Baron listed: Rogue6/PDK10/DD14

So far lvl 12 (though the start was rough) and is pretty awesome in party play though I am not even bothering myself with the offensive power of the build. I've put a build spread for this char somewhere here in the forums.. ah here it is as a response to the DD build thread.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16162

Edit:
PDK Defender of course

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Burly. Fearsome. Inspiring!
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Astral

Post by Astral » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:41 am

Kreindis wrote:I stole this from Astral on the PDK build forums and liked it a lot.

15 Divine Champion/5 Fighter/10 Knight (Protector).

It's a Kensai as well although it could just as easily be used without Kensai if you don't want UMD. All around good Knight-type build without Divine Wrath. And It's there for when you need it.

Saves are good, you have a bunch of feats to do whatever you'd like with, I used them to improve saves further but you could in theory also build for EDR.
I hope Scruvy reads this. :D

Just kidding. I'm really glad you have fun on it. Its a one dimensional build in a way, but in other ways it really isnt since you always have something fresh off cooldown to save the fight with, and divine wrath pretty much makes people stay away from the CoT in pvp for its duration. If one were to build for EDR feats they would negate SO much damage with divine wrath active so that's a very smart adaptation I havent thought of.

All and all I still wait to see some blackguard PDK summoner who wards their fiend and can probably bring the fiend to the EDK tier.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:58 am

EDR won't stack with the Divine Wrath DR, don't do it.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:59 am

Astral wrote:All and all I still wait to see some blackguard PDK summoner who wards their fiend and can probably bring the fiend to the EDK tier.
I started a build like this, but didn't get terribly far before jumping to another character. It's quite sound in theory, though, especially with the balor and its biteback.

TheRagingGoblin

Post by TheRagingGoblin » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:40 am

Astral wrote:All and all I still wait to see some blackguard PDK summoner who wards their fiend and can probably bring the fiend to the EDK tier.
Been done by at least one person. There's one in my vault and it was incredibly easy to level once it got the first summon despite the Mohrg being terrible in most ways.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:56 am

Once you get the outsider summons, you're really in business, especially since you've got the undead summons to fall back on if they get dismissed somehow.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:53 am

The 15 CoT/5Fighter/10 PDK is a good idea since Fighter will let you get more damage you might lack and Epic Weapon Spec. on a CoT level.

For ultimate tankiness though 20 CoT and 10 PDK is very good (for he 15/+5 Damage reduction of divine wrath).

For best use of CHA(and a bit more damage due to bless weapon for example) but less tankiness Paladin 15 /5CoT/10 PDK is probably better.
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:23 pm

Cybernet21 wrote: For ultimate tankiness though 20 CoT and 10 PDK is very good (for he 15/+5 Damage reduction of divine wrath).
This build got nerfed a while back. 2002 I think.

Spaniardl

Post by Spaniardl » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:56 pm

miesny_jez wrote:I'm playing around with a PDK/DD tank currently spread exactly as Baron listed: Rogue6/PDK10/DD14

So far lvl 12 (though the start was rough) and is pretty awesome in party play though I am not even bothering myself with the offensive power of the build. I've put a build spread for this char somewhere here in the forums.. ah here it is as a response to the DD build thread.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16162

Edit:
PDK Defender of course
what time zone r u miesny? i may make a duergar

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:43 pm

Freyason wrote:
Cybernet21 wrote: For ultimate tankiness though 20 CoT and 10 PDK is very good (for he 15/+5 Damage reduction of divine wrath).
This build got nerfed a while back. 2002 I think.
CoT actually got buffed along with paladin on last year (and slighlty nerfed on divine wrath duration after a couple of months,slightly).
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:03 pm

Freyason is referring to the fact that 20 COT/10 PDT is impossible, because you need at least 3 levels of a base class.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:22 pm

Oh yeah..forgor none of them wer base classes,well then forget about that 20 CoT/10 PDK build on my post and put 5 Paladin/15 CoT/10 PDK on its place ;)

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:53 pm

I'm noticing in general that PDK works quite well in prestige class-heavy builds. Shadowdancer, Pale Master, Blackguard, Champion of Torm and Dwarven Defender, in particular.

OOOOOOH! PDK (Vanguard) 10/Ranger 5/AA 15. Oath of Wrath on a level 10 Vanguard increases all damage done to a target by 15%, which is a nice bump to AA damage, and Final Stand can help with kiting by immobilizing an enemy who gets into melee range.

I like this.

Astral

Post by Astral » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:35 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:I'm noticing in general that PDK works quite well in prestige class-heavy builds. Shadowdancer, Pale Master, Blackguard, Champion of Torm and Dwarven Defender, in particular.

OOOOOOH! PDK (Vanguard) 10/Ranger 5/AA 15. Oath of Wrath on a level 10 Vanguard increases all damage done to a target by 15%, which is a nice bump to AA damage, and Final Stand can help with kiting by immobilizing an enemy who gets into melee range.

I like this.
The PDK has this ability that causes all nearby enemies to switch aggro to the PDK. That's a no no for archers. Same reason bard archers arent very popular cause curse song does that too.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:04 pm

What, Fear? So don't use Fear.

TheRagingGoblin

Post by TheRagingGoblin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:03 am

No, not Fear. Oath of wrath (for Vanguard, the ability that applies the 15% damage vulnerability and -2 AC) is what taunts enemies towards you.

However! In my experience the taunt only functions when you're close to the enemy you targeted. If they're far away, they seem happy chasing whoever the AI wants. Multiple times I've had a friendly running away from an enemy , they were both some distance from my PDK and Oath of Wrath didn't draw aggro.

None of this matters in PvP mind you.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:06 am

I mean, it taunts one enemy, and you'll be shooting them anyways. And its taunt is lower priority than -guard. So as far as flaws go, I would call that fairly minor.