Gnomish barbarian 2H CON build: The Raging Penguin

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Hammerwell

Gnomish barbarian 2H CON build: The Raging Penguin

Post by Hammerwell » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:08 am

When you've got that +2 CON, you might as well ham it up. This raging penguin's got a respectable starting STR, but he has more notably a starting CON of 21. Inspired by this Duergar Barbarian build thread, but planned by a total newbie when it comes to melee builds (and barbarians in particular).

I'd ideally like all the rage feats and EDRIII. I'm also undecided between Toughness and Great Cleave, but love the latter because raging penguins don't stop pecking while thirsting for blood.

Race: Rock Gnome (since Ice Gnomes are still undiscovered... right?)
Class spread: 20 Barbarian / 6 Fighter / 4 Barbarian
- STR 16, DEX 8, CON 19, INT 8, WIS 8, CHA 9
- Gift of might (18), gift of con (21)
- Only reaches STR 25 by level 28, but has CON 21 by level 1

Attribute increases: All STR
Kensai path (mastering the Great Rabbit Spirit's weapon of choice, of course)

1 B1 Weapon Focus
2 B2
3 B3 Knockdown
4 B4
5 B5
6 B6 Blind Fight
7 B7
8 B8
9 B9 Improved Critical
10 B
11 B
12 B Power Attack
13 B
14 B
15 B Cleave
16 B
17 B
18 B Great Cleave or Toughness
19 B
20 B
21 F1 EDR I, EDR II
22 F2 Overwhelming critical
23 F3
24 F4 EDR III, Weapon Specialization
25 F5
26 F6 Epic Weapon Focus
27 B21 Mighty Rage
28 B22 (STR is now 25)
29 B23 (Ensure Intimidate is at 25)
30 B24 Terrifying Rage, Thundering Rage

Skills: Discipline, Intimidate, Heal
Last edited by Hammerwell on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Re: Gnomish barbarian 2H CON build: The Raging Penguin

Post by Dalenger » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:16 pm

I don't feel qualified to give a full build rundown, but squeezing in 3 levels of bard will get you much needed AC from tumble, DC from spellcraft, and (most importantly) Use Magic Device.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Deathdealer2.0

Post by Deathdealer2.0 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:01 am

You'd be better suited doing 6/1 Strength/Con attribute progression if you want to use that starting build. That way you end with an even number in both categories, as ending in an odd number gives you no benefits.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:20 am

Alternately drop pre-gift con to 18 and cha to 8 to get int up to 12. 1 point into con at 20, everything else into strength.

Let me know if you actually find this build at ALL playable.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Harasha

Post by Harasha » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:23 am

Deathdealer2.0 wrote:You'd be better suited doing 6/1 Strength/Con attribute progression if you want to use that starting build. That way you end with an even number in both categories, as ending in an odd number gives you no benefits.
I'm sure Hammerwell build that way because 25 and 21 are both needed to reach epic feat requirements (EDR and Thundering Rage.) The "even number rule" doesn't always apply (and can be overrated, as for example an odd strength point still has merit for carrying capacity)
Dalenger wrote:I don't feel qualified to give a full build rundown, but squeezing in 3 levels of bard will get you much needed AC from tumble, DC from spellcraft, and (most importantly) Use Magic Device.
Not too likely with 8 int though..! This is definitely Kensai territory.

Fallout

Post by Fallout » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:59 pm

what if it has 14 int, can bard be pushed into this build somehow? And what price would need to be payed for it, benefits be obvious, UMD tumble and spelcraft with kensai would make it nice too.

Hammerwell

Post by Hammerwell » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:56 pm

So it seems the big problem here is indeed the -2 STR, which makes him INT starved when I want to net him all the rage feats. Should I drop Thundering Rage, then I can fit in INT (and hence much more AC from IE and Tumble CC) because I don't need to aim for 25 STR.

Fallout

Post by Fallout » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:06 pm

my MAIN question is-how to fit BARD levels in all of this?

Harasha

Post by Harasha » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:01 pm

Well. You probably should ask yourself what you're trying to do here.

If you're making a gimmicky super-strong but kind of moronic gnomish barbarian with all the EDR and rage feats, this is a perfectly fine way to go. Though you may as well take kensai since you won't be dipping a UMD class.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with making an outlandish gimmick build for fun. You'll do a lot of damage but you'll also have glaring weaknesses, nothing that traveling with a party can't fix- and what's the point of a gimmick build if it's not to be fun and funny in a group?

If you want to make the best barbarian possible you need to scrap the gnome idea. You can be a dwarf with 14 int and hit 25 strength/21 con and all the feats you want pretty easily, and be able to dip rogue for UMD and tumble (I'd go rogue over bard for a dip because more skill points and sneak attack.) And you're still an earthkin instead of a boring ol' human.

If you want to make the best possible gnome barbarian, you gotta compromise. Starting with 16 strength eats up almost all your ability points for one thing.

But I assume you wanted a character whos' kinda cartoonish and larger than life so why not just play it? You'll die, but have fun with it and die big and often and in memorable ways.

Hammerwell

Post by Hammerwell » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:49 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It is indeed not what I'd wanted for my first alt. Not so much that this build can't work (and die hilariously; more stories!), but that I'm still learning the ropes here.