Bad Build Questions

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

One Two Three Five

Re: Bad Build Questions

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:37 am

Well, I'm putting together a horc barb/fighter/rogue and I can squeeze in uh.. EDR3, thundering rage, and either a great str to even out my str score, or one of the other rages- mighty or terrifying. Although, if I'm reinventing the wheel here and someone's got a level spread for this exact thing handy, I wouldn't say no to it.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Spork

Post by Spork » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:44 pm

Hello! I'm Spork, and I'm new to the server. What with Arelith being pretty much the only game in town these days.

So, I figured that getting to know the server would be best done on a garbage character. Let me introduce you to a 2h using epic dodging halfling. Also, she's a kensai, because why not go all the way if we're planning a terrible toon?

Currently, the planned level progression is as follows:

Starting stats:
Str 16(+2gift) - 20
Dex 20(+2gift) - 26
Con 12
Int 14
Wis 8
Cha 8

13 rogue / 17 fighter
12 rogue pre-epic

Feats taken:
Pre-epic:
Luck of heroes, toughness, iron will, dodge (to fulfill e-dodge requirements to the letter), KD, IKD, Expertise, I-Expertise, Blind-fight, Weapon Focus (rapier), Weapon Specialization (rapier), I-crit (rapier), (+i-evasion from rogue 10)

Epic: 4 base feats, 4 Fighter bonus
3x Great Str, e-weapon focus, e-weapon spec, armor skin, prowess, epic dodge, (+defensive roll from rogue 13)

Assuming +12 STR and a +5 weapon, she'd get 44 AB (45 due to being small), and around 48-54 AC depending on the DEX bonus and available gear.

AB breakdown: 22 BAB + 5 base STR +6 STR gear + 3 wfocus + 1 prowess +5 weapon +2 2h weapon +1 being small. Total = 45.

Basically, I am here to ask you all if you can come up with a better way to build this terrible character? Fully realising that making a 2h using epic dodger is a stupid idea.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:35 pm

Now there's an interesting challenge...

I suggest that you just get Dex to 25. This lets you put 2 points into Str, take only 2 Great Str feats, ending with 24 (36 after buffs/equipment), and grab Epic Will. You'll end up using padded armor (check out Armor of Immolation on the wiki, or Battlemedic Armor in the mid-levels), and your gear will focus on strength/con.

Also, scimitar. Because then it's basically a falchion and falchions are awesome.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 pm

Spork wrote: Basically, I am here to ask you all if you can come up with a better way to build this terrible character? Fully realising that making a 2h using epic dodger is a stupid idea.
Are you asking to make it worse (yea, add some assassin) or improve the concept?

Spork

Post by Spork » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:47 am

@Freyason: I'm asking for help to make the best possible version of this terrible base idea. Essentially, how to polish a turd.

@Baron Saturday: I considered a scimitar, but sadly the available models for scimitars in NWN were rather unappealing to me. Thus, rapier it shall be. Epic Will is an excellent idea on the other hand. Hadn't thought of that.
Edit: Can Armor of Immolation be further enchanted to have +5AC? Or do tailored outfits not allow enchanting?

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:00 am

Spork wrote:Edit: Can Armor of Immolation be further enchanted to have +5AC? Or do tailored outfits not allow enchanting?
It's possible you could further enchant it, although it would be very difficult. However, the only AC enchantment you could add is a +1, which would overwrite the +4, thus lowering the armor bonus. Arelith's enchanting system doesn't offer additive bonuses.

Spork

Post by Spork » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:09 am

PinataPlethora wrote:
Spork wrote:Edit: Can Armor of Immolation be further enchanted to have +5AC? Or do tailored outfits not allow enchanting?
It's possible you could further enchant it, although it would be very difficult. However, the only AC enchantment you could add is a +1, which would overwrite the +4, thus lowering the armor bonus. Arelith's enchanting system doesn't offer additive bonuses.
Alright, thanks clarifying that. Is +4 about the limit of what one can expect in higher end gear all around?

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:14 am

Spork wrote:Alright, thanks clarifying that. Is +4 about the limit of what one can expect in higher end gear all around?
Yes, but that's for equipment that requires extremely rare components. +3 is what you should expect for regularly accessible high end armor.

OutOfChwi

Post by OutOfChwi » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:19 am

How to polish - make dex WM

Spork

Post by Spork » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:46 am

OutOfChwi wrote:How to polish - make dex WM
Sadly, weapon finesse functions with no 2h weapons. Including rapier wielded by small races. If it did, this build would be considerably easier to make. WM might not be a terrible idea though.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:39 am

To get WM, you'd have to drop 3 pre-epic feats, probably luck of heroes, toughness, and iron will. Your pre-epic split would still be 12 rogue/8 fighter. In epic levels, you'd drop prowess and both great strength feats in order to take 7 levels of WM. The effective trade-off here is 1 uni save, 2 will save, 30 HP, 1 AB, and 1 base damage for MUCH more dangerous criticals.

Gear-wise, as other have noted, +3 is generally the best you'll get. Some weapons and armor offer +4, but have high-end material components, race restrictions, crafting difficulty, or all three.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:16 am

So I'm a big fan of pressing buttons. And also, weapon master crits. How can I combine these into a workable character? Pls no 20/7/3. I know it's good. Don't.

Barb? Spellsword? what.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:32 am

Paladin 5/PDK 10/CoT 15, with an x3 weapon, pretend you have WM crits because you'll basically do as much damage, and have lots of shiny buttons to press.

Can also do pally 5 fighter 5 CoT 20 if you're OK with less buttons but having your one big button be a mega button.

Rabbid
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rabbid » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:41 am

Kensai.
Paladin 5 Fighter 5 CoT 20. The Berenor build.
Kalgoon wrote:Drow PC waltzed into Cordor and proceeded to murder like disco was going out of style
Kuma wrote:It's 1372 after Bane's resurrection but before the Silence of Lolth
Which means that Elminster has been trapped in hell for 130 years
+1

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:47 am

'Berenor?'

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:57 am

I've run into him IG. He's basically a big silver thing. Don't worry about it.

Gonne build?

Rabbid
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rabbid » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:05 am

Actually if you want nice damage with buttons

Maybe 11 fighter / 16 Blackguard / 3 rogue?

Or even ye ole Bryce build?
Human, 22 fighter / 5 paladin / 3 rogue
or for moonblade +5 memes
Helf 23 fighter / 4 paladin / 3 rogue
Kalgoon wrote:Drow PC waltzed into Cordor and proceeded to murder like disco was going out of style
Kuma wrote:It's 1372 after Bane's resurrection but before the Silence of Lolth
Which means that Elminster has been trapped in hell for 130 years
+1

dragonhighlord94

Post by dragonhighlord94 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:53 am

Hey Berenor ain't that bad plus he is a nice guy lol. However the build itself is quite nice and it definitely gives a really nice dmg output and has a nice holy knight aspect for a fun rp if you wanna pretty much play a saint.

For the Loyal Fury.

Berenor

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:16 pm

That should be 23/4/3.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:42 pm

Dr. B wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:16 pm
That should be 23/4/3.
5 paladin if you want Extra Smiting, both variants work.
:)

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:03 pm

I'd take +1 to weapon anyday (have a cot with extra smiting and love it, but it's no match for +1AB/damage IMO).