Ride vs Spellcraft

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Cybernet21

Ride vs Spellcraft

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:11 pm

So wich one should i go with?

Context:My character is a paladin and when i made his build horse riding was a reward then everything changed and paladins riding horses is awesome RP wise,but i am already level 20 and analysing my own build spellcraft seems to be the only one close enough for me to sacrifice,if i sacrifice it i will probably lose +1 or +2 on saves agaisnt spells (already have +1 because i invested two points in spellcraft,two points because INT mod plus 3 points of gear) so i dont know wich one should i take for the rest of my levels

TL;DR: Ride=Mostly RP Spellcraft=Mostly Mechanics
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

flower

Re: Ride vs Spellcraft

Post by flower » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:19 pm

Ride is to provide mechanical bonuses too in near future. But you will need, most likely, a feat and full ranks.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:57 pm

flower wrote:Ride is to provide mechanical bonuses too in near future. But you will need, most likely, a feat and full ranks.
If i take all the rest of the points i would use on Spellcraft it becomes 12 ranks on Ride,so it while it wouldnt be awesome riding it would be average

EDIT:Plus,mounted combat feat only gives 1 AB in Arelith,at least for now
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:26 pm

Forget spellcraft! Let the age of pony riders begin.

Keep in mind your character level helps when staying mounted. My character only has about 20 ride and she only falls off once in a blue moon. I picked up enough spellcraft to RP some knowledge of spells, but not enough for significant save bonuses.

OutOfChwi

Post by OutOfChwi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:34 pm

Your saves should be pretty solid anyway with paladin that you can probably get away with the drop of spellcraft.

Chwi

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:34 pm

Do not drop Spellcraft.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:48 pm

Hunter548 wrote:Do not drop Spellcraft.
Is +3 save agaisnt spells really worth it above +1(or +2 depending of the gear i acquire in the future) and the ability to ride?

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:15 am

Cybernet21 wrote:
Hunter548 wrote:Do not drop Spellcraft.
Is +3 save agaisnt spells really worth it above +1(or +2 depending of the gear i acquire in the future) and the ability to ride?
It's not +3 saves vs spells, it's +6 or +7 (Or +10 if you take bard levels).
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:44 am

Spellcraft boosts saves vs magic by 1 for every 5 points, gear and INT included.

If you're cross classing spellcraft, you have 16 SC checked, you can do two +2 SC to make it 20. If you have an INT mod of 2, you could even get two more +2 SC items for another +1, for a total of +5.

If you take bard and dip late, you can get up to 32 SC, with four +2 SC items, that's +8 to saves.

You can get far more depending on your INT mod and gearing.

If your saves are in the high 20s to mid 30s around late epics, any save point matters.
:)

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:54 am

Cortex wrote:Spellcraft boosts saves vs magic by 1 for every 5 points, gear and INT included.

If you're cross classing spellcraft, you have 16 SC checked, you can do two +2 SC to make it 20. If you have an INT mod of 2, you could even get two more +2 SC items for another +1, for a total of +5.

If you take bard and dip late, you can get up to 32 SC, with four +2 SC items, that's +8 to saves.

You can get far more depending on your INT mod and gearing.

If your saves are in the high 20s to mid 30s around late epics, any save point matters.
The maximum i would get on SC would be 15 since it was a "dump skill" so all i am losing going with ride is the bonus of 15 SC but staying with the bonus of 10 SC

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:14 am

unless you're playing a paladin champion of torm with high charisma it's a good idea to keep spellcrafting.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:53 am

You can drop Spellcraft if you understand and accept the consequences of doing so.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:20 am

Tarkus the dog wrote:unless you're playing a paladin champion of torm with high charisma it's a good idea to keep spellcrafting.
My build is quite similar,but focuses on STR. Still my CHA is pretty good (28 when averagely buffed)

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:42 am

Pony reward is equivalent to max ride rank each level

Harasha

Post by Harasha » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:21 am

Cybernet21 wrote: TL;DR: Ride=Mostly RP Spellcraft=Mostly Mechanics
Take the feat that will make you happy and make your character fun for you to play. It sounds like you envisioned horse riding as part of the character already and struggling with spellcasters a little more often is something you can learn to deal with.

The only caveat is I don't think riding is really solid yet so who knows how many points you actually need. Maybe bank them and don't choose yet?