Death/Trickery Cleric/Fighter build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Drow4d20

Death/Trickery Cleric/Fighter build

Post by Drow4d20 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:11 pm

I have been trying to find a build I will like for Arelith. Having trouble putting something together. I get bored easily so I need a diverse, weird build. So I keep trying to find something that works.

The idea to this build is to have high defense so I can auto quicken cast invisibility spells and hit with touch attacks like harm or slay living.

Since my Cleric/SD build just seems to suck no matter how I make it lol... What think ye of this?

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Domain Changes

Death: Harm and all the Inflict Wound spells will be casted as an empowered spell.

Healing: Healing Circle is now affected by the domain, and like the rest of the healing spells, will be casted as an empowered spell.

Empowered spells from domain can be double empowered through metamagic." - Arelith Wiki

Death/Trickery Domain Caster Cleric
(Cleric 26/Fighter 4)

Gift: (-2 DEX, +2 WIS)

Ability Scores:
Str 14
Dex 10
Con 13 +1=14
Int 14
Wis 18 +6=24
Cha 10

Skills: Concentration, Discipline, Heal, Spellcraft

Equipment: Platemail, Tower Shield, Unarmed focus for touch attacks and Magic Staff

>Cleric: (Concentration, Heal, Spellcraft - Save extra points for fighter)
1 Feat: Combat Casting
3 Feat: Quicken Spell
6 Feat: Knockdown
9 Feat: (Spell Focus: Necromancy)
12 Feat: (Greater Spell Focus: Necromancy)
15 Feat: (Spell Focus: Abjuration)

>Fighter: (Discipline 32)
17 Bonus Feat: Improved Knockdown
18 Feat: Empower Spell , Bonus Feat: (Weapon Focus: Unarmed)
20 Bonus Feat: (Arcane Defense: Abjuration)

>Cleric: (Concentration, Heal, Spellcraft should all have at least 33 ranks)
21 Feat: Improved Combat Casting
24 Feat: (Epic Spell Focus: Necromancy)
27 Feat: (Epic Mummy Dust) Bonus Feat: (Automatic Quicken Spell I)
30 Feat: (Epic Weapon Focus: Unarmed) Bonus Feat: (Automatic Quicken Spell II)
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law."

Dr. B

Re: Death/Trickery Cleric/Fighter build

Post by Dr. B » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:44 pm

Maybe you should keep these posts in a single thread. You've been making multiple posts over and over again on the same character/topic, and it's kind of... spammy.

Drow4d20

Post by Drow4d20 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:58 pm

This is an entirely different build structure though. I'm using the forum to try and finalize a build. When I do finalize one I will stop posting builds. I've posted what, 3 builds? I will delete them if necessary or a moderator/DM can. Sorry my few posts ruined your day, man. Maybe just don't open them next time, ignore, or report me for "spamming" a fantasy role playing forum... Istenem *smh*

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:06 pm

I mean, you do sort of have 5 separate threads about cleric builds on the first page of this subforum. They could probably just have all been condensed together.

As for the build, leveling might be a bit slow with the lack of conjuration focus or animal domain, and your notion of invis touch-attack spelling of harm does sound pretty original, but it'll get extremely hardcountered by negative energy protection, so be prepared to keep something else prepared for that eventuality.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:11 pm

So first off, in regards to your question:
NWN wiki says that the unarmed focus feats count for melee touch attack AB ONLY if unarmed. That said, since most characters have VERY limited touch AC, you really don't need that +3. Use those feats for other stuff.

Quicken spell requires the ability to cast 4th level spells, and so cannot be taken on a cleric until level 9.

Improved Combat Casting is a waste of a feat. Between autoquicken 1&2 and Defensive Casting mode, you won't be triggering attacks of opportunity. (Defensive Casting mode, if you're not aware, can be found on the radial menu. It's effects are best described on the wiki.)

Take your fighter levels AFTER level 21. This allows you to take Mummy Dust at 21, which you need. Your undead summons are going to be doing most of the work for you, so you want the good ones ASAP.

Feats you really DO need to take: Blind Fight (which does apply to touch attacks), ESF: Discipline.

I'm sure there's other stuff, but I generally don't build clerics and these are the most glaring issues.

And yeah, the build & question threads are getting kinda spammy. It's just good forum etiquette, like not chewing with your mouth open. It won't ruin somebody's day, but it can be annoying.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:52 am

I don't think we should be attaching moral judgment to people's forum conduct in a situation like this. For me, it is great that the forum is being used to discuss builds, mechanics, and this has been an interesting conversation to follow. I think that the only harmful thing is when people try to restrict how much we should be talking over builds; I don't get at all why anyone should be frustrated by that, isn't it essentially what this subforum is for?

I openly encourage you to continue using this subforum, what's the harm in it? People can always decide not to answer, if they get grumpy over something silly.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:08 am

Edited to be nicer.

To the OP:

If you aren't experienced with Arelith-specific builds, then the logical thing to do is ask for a build. That will save you a lot of time. Otherwise you're essentially firing with a blindfold and asking "Did I hit?" over and over again.
Last edited by Dr. B on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Improv

Post by Improv » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:46 am

Opustus wrote:I don't think we should be attaching moral judgment to people's forum conduct in a situation like this. For me, it is great that the forum is being used to discuss builds, mechanics, and this has been an interesting conversation to follow. I think that the only harmful thing is when people try to restrict how much we should be talking over builds; I don't get at all why anyone should be frustrated by that, isn't it essentially what this subforum is for?

I openly encourage you to continue using this subforum, what's the harm in it? People can always decide not to answer, if they get grumpy over something silly.
Keeping it to one thread would just be more useful for other people interested in the advice given both now and later. Five threads is not really search friendly. The questions should keep coming, nobody should be shamed for asking advice.

Drow4d20

Post by Drow4d20 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:56 am

I figured when changing the entire structure of the build, including questions that pertain to specific differences, that I basically made a new character, so make a new post. The questions I posted in Q & A are specific as well and do not need to pertain to my class.

When you search for something on this forum it is kind of a mess to find what you're looking for. By making shorter, to the point posts for each individual question, I am offering newer players (Which I'm guessing every one else from Amia came here.) an easier way to find specific build information.

I played arelith 12+ years ago. I'm not new. I haven't played in like 5 years. I am used to v5 table top now and haven't looked at a v3 or v3.5 book in years and NWN has it's own specific mechanics anyways.

I want to be precise in my build approach. I wanted good advice. And I got A LOT of good advice. I also got a lot of crap which is funny when you think people would be a little less elitist nazi nerd over a game that has been dead for years, and yet thanks to GoG and newer games sucking, people are starting to come back and you're giving me crap about post 4 forum posts? Chill out and grow up. It's a game. This is a forum for a game. A GAME. So can you just let people that want to answer my questions and ignore me.

I've been homeless the past 2 years, lost everything i own, my cars, my investments, everything! And i dont mean sleeping on my friend's couch homeless. I mean my life really sucked for a long time and as stupid as it is the nostalgia from this game is a lot for me right now. I'm sorry but my compassion for your wining over a friggin forum post is 0%. 0%!!!!!

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:28 am

I apologize if any of my responses came across as whiny or attacking, that was certainly not the intent. I'd hoped to offer friendly advice.

The last piece of advice I can offer is, honestly, to simply to pick a build with aesthetics and playstyle that you enjoy and get in-game for the roleplay. If they build turns out to be underwhelming mechanically, you can always get other players to be your muscle minions - there's a slavery system in place that supports this rather well.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Drow4d20

Post by Drow4d20 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:41 am

[Edit]

This is what I'm going with. Thanks to those that were helpful. I will not post anymore about this build.

>Cleric: (Concentration, Heal, Spellcraft - Save extra points for fighter)
1 Feat: Combat Casting
3 Feat: (Spell Focus: Necromancy)
6 Feat: (Spell Focus: Illusion)
9 Feat: Quicken Spell
12 Feat: (Greater Spell Focus: Necromancy)
15 Feat: (Greater Spell Focus: Illusion)
18 Feat: (Spell Focus: Abjuration)
21 Feat: (Epic Mummy Dust)

>Fighter: (Discipline 32)
22 Bonus Feat: Blind Fight
23 Bonus Feat: Knockdown
24 Feat: (Arcane Defense: Abjuration)
25 Bonus Feat: (Epic Skill Focus: Discipline)

>Cleric: (Concentration, Heal, Spellcraft should all have at least 33 ranks)
27 Feat: Improved Combat Casting Bonus Feat: (Automatic Quicken Spell I)
30 Feat: (Epic Spell Focus: Illusion) Bonus Feat: (Automatic Quicken Spell II)

flower

Post by flower » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:54 pm

I would drop the automatic quicken spells.

Use haste wand / potion it will have same effect sparing you two epic feats and one pre epic.

Make it a healer.

Také dip into monk instead of fighter. Change quicken to blindfight.

Also fighter bonus feat cannot be epic discipline!

If you také 6 (instead of fighter) levels of monk you get IKD automatically.

Keep str at 0-10, put points into dexterity.

Také starting constitution 8, také gift +2 constitution - 2 charisma. Dexterity increases AC but you may trade her for constitution unless you would wish to increase also AB then add finess and use kama (quaterstaff would require dual weapon feats.)

And if you pick up dexterity, také finesse instead of combat casting (use defensive casting mode!)

With being healer you may buff up HPs with overheal. On gear go dex/wis (or add a few of constitution).

With divine power your AB would be 25 + DEX mod + GMW + divine favor (+5) + battletide (+2)

That is 37 + dex modifier (without any weapon focus feats :) ) on a caster.

And of course, plant domain is very important, it grants you +5 AC which can dispell only caster with epic abjuration. Improved invis can be used via divine wands.

Drow4d20

Post by Drow4d20 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:16 am

I totally bombed this build for this character due to change in RP. BUT...

What I did do is make a lawful good halfling healer cleric/monk build. I took healing and death domain, but am only level 3 so am open to reroll. That way I could make for an excellent touch attack caster with good unarmed attack and defense OR a healer with zen archery.

I thought it would be fun to play a healer that dispels enemies, heal, buff, and restore a party, and quickly take the lives of those endangering her or her friends. Due to the alignment, I wouldn't summon undead or shadows (which the summon sucks anyways so...), but concentrate on high defense and ESF in abjuration, conjuration, and necromancy schools. Would like to see the build be cleric/monk.

All ideas welcome because I just suck at builds lol...

flower

Post by flower » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:35 am

My advice is same as above.

The bit of dexterity helps you get up AB so you can actually succesfully melee in pVE (good for grinding).

And if you want to use offensive spells i would go evocation instead necromancy, because it imrpvoes DCs of all spells and mainly of implosion. Getting DC up to 40 can hurt many things and even if someone has like 40 fortitude vs death can still roll 1 (no warding against it).

EDK is awsome summon, it is able with some buffs to kill many bosses but unlike vampires it is socially more accaptable.

Drow4d20

Post by Drow4d20 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:41 am

Would a good 'touch attack' based svirfneblin death/healing cleric(healer path)/monk be possible? It sounds like a fun build and I feel svirfneblin would be good for a CHA dumped cleric/monk build. Cleric's necromancy spells are fun and most are touch attacks. And in the UD nobody cares if I summon undead.

For a surface halfling build I would swap death with plant and just ditch necromancy all together for evocation

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:38 pm

make another post!

Drow4d20

Post by Drow4d20 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:47 pm

I'm not making anymore posts... People get butthurt by it for whatever reason. For all I know you're an undercover agent working for them... :P