Gearing strategy for non-dragon shape druid aiming for EDR3

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Hammerwell

Gearing strategy for non-dragon shape druid aiming for EDR3

Post by Hammerwell » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:39 pm

New to the server and loving it here! Now that I'm getting used to things, I find that my druid's typical combat style is to buff and wild-shape, supported by conjuration-focused summons and animal companion. So considering a medium to long-term gearing strategy.

Given that I might spend lots of time in shapes, I know I'll have to rely on shields, armor and helms for merged item properties. And perhaps high WIS for extra buffing spells before shifting. Also not going for dragon shape or totems because of the character's background and convictions.

Assuming I'll be able to find crafters for the items, or get friends together to hunt known rewards, what should I do to benefit the most from EDR3 (only by level 30 though ... I borked it a bit) and monolithic elemental shapes? Can't craft my own gear as the character is herbalist/alchemist.

One Two Three Five

Re: Gearing strategy for non-dragon shape druid aiming for E

Post by One Two Three Five » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:32 am

Armor, helmet, and shield merge only, right? I'd recommend Second Skin from tailoring- 5% slashing immunity, +3 str, +3 dex, +3 constitution. Recommend transmutation foci if you can spare the room, for turns/level aura of vitality, as a pure druid's aura with focuses would be half an hour real time.

I'm assuming you're going for the upgraded level 28 elemental shapes, since you don't want dragon shape, btw.

Other than armor- For helmet you're going to want the Druidic Garland from art crafting, definitely. 100%. Every time. It's got wisdom and some spellcasting stuff but the real kicker on it is the +1 regen (5% bludge immu is icing of course.) That'll let you stay in shapes longer and and rely less on others for healing. Not great for in-combat, but there's nothing else you're going to slot there really.

For shield? The Fencing Buckler, from forging. +4 AC. (Or an adamantine shield for the damage immunity and you just take that 1 ac loss.)

As for the rest: idk go wild. If you want to be effective when out of form, stack on wisdom and.. con? on the rest of your stuff so you have as many spellslots possible before you rest and cast owl's insight.

With a maximized bull's (and an average cat's and con potion roll) you're looking at.. +8 str, and +6ish to con and dex. Another +4 from aura of vitality maxes your strength and pulls your con and dex just shy of it.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Hammerwell

Post by Hammerwell » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:20 am

One Two Three Five wrote:My new shopping list
Thanks a bunch! Fitting in transmutation focii for sure, and aiming for as pure druid as possible, hence the level 28 shapes.

hoshi

Post by hoshi » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:32 pm

I'll say from personal experience while the garland is nice in the teens level wise, it loses value in epic levels when you have 20+ minute long regeneration durations (for OP: regen and monstrous regen last for min/level here) in addition to other methods of regen available to a druid and decent skills/stats otherwise.

This could free you up to get a bit more DI or other effects. For example something enchanted with 5/- resist to all the elements past the ones already on the other 2 slots that transfer over; you'd probably still have some room for another enchant with that. Even on-hit effects are transferred over which can make things like a Small Chaos Shield very nice to have if you can get the AC elsewhere.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:37 pm

I'm like 99% certain we don't have chaos shield items.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

pigman

Post by pigman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:06 pm

One Two Three Five wrote:I'm like 99% certain we don't have chaos shield items.

I have one and know of one other player who also does, however chaos shield is CL 7, so some of the effects are lackluster

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:16 pm

I can confirm that there is a small shield with chaos shield as a property on it in the matrix, or was at one point at least. Had one briefly on one of my characters a couple of months back.

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:11 pm

The chaos shield (light shield) still exists. But it's kinda meh as already said.

hoshi

Post by hoshi » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:54 pm

It's not as bad for a monolith elemental EDR druid with no dragon shape. In general you're okay with being hit with your defenses of 25%+ DI, crit/sneak immune, and -9,-14, or -19 to damage.

A small chaos shield has a 14% chance to go off and can force immobility (no save no SR no immunity) or prone as 2 of the big melee effects, so roughly a 7% chance on being hit to do something mean, which when you're already in a fishing for 20s situation can actually help you quite a bit. Pure druids only have 3 attacks a round and a meh AB in which to try for a KD, but can have an army of buffed minions (with SR on them as desired) to dish out some pretty nice damage on an immobile/prone target.

So for a very specific build it can be pretty nice, despite being a lackluster item in general.