Dwarf melee Fighter ranger build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

wulfburk

Dwarf melee Fighter ranger build

Post by wulfburk » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:16 am

is this build any good? Im new to the server (loving it so far) and really wanted to make a melee fighter ranger dwarf, mostly for the roleplay. Im on lvl 7 by now.

20 ranger- 10 fighter.
STR 18 (including +2 of the major gift) end with 26 (5 points from lvl and 2 great strenght + 1 from fighter lvl 10)
dex 14 end with 16 (2 pts from lvling)
con 12
wis 14
int 14
char 6

1-3 Fighter: Dodge, toughness and power attack, expertise (picked power attack because of cleave.. but then decided not to take cleave.. so it was a mistake).

4-9 Ranger: f.enemy (orcs), weapon focus battleaxe, f. enemy (havent decided yet on any of the others f.e), improved critical battle axe, bear animal companion. (+1 dodge ac for double wield from ranger lvl)

10-11 fighter: weapon specialization dwarven waraxe (+1 armour ac from fighter lvl 5)

12-15 ranger: mobility (woodland stride, impr 2. weapon fighting, evasion), weapon focus hand axe, favoured enemy.

16: fighter: weapon specialization hand axe.

ranger 17-20: improved critical hand axe (+2 dodge ac double wield from ranger lvl).

21-24 fighter: armor skin, epic weapon focus battleaxe, epic weapon specialization battle axe, epic prowess (+1 shield ac and +1 strenght from fighter lvl 10 bonus).

25-30 ranger: epic weapon focus hand axe, great strenght, great strengh 2, favoured enemy.

Ending with 15 tumble and puttings points on animal empathy, hide, move silent, spot, search, listen and discipline.

Im not sure about all those feats for handaxe. I want my guy to be adaptable as both dual wield and using a shield, though now i cant do without a shield AND expertise... Wearing studded leather armour by now.

Stratonike Silvbriga
Archamus Schelen
Demetrius Herhtov

Baron Saturday

Re: Dwarf melee Fighter ranger build

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:54 am

First off, I'd suggest focusing on either handaxes or battleaxe. Trying to fully specialize in two different weapons takes a LOOOOOOT of feats. Personally, I would go for the ax/shield combo. Remember that any battleaxe weapon feats also count for the dwarven waraxe so long as you're a dwarf.

As a dwarven ranger, you've got a lot of access to unique gear that you should definitely try to take advantage of, especially the Ranger's Studded Leather and the Dwarven Rune Axe.

Build-wise, I would highly recommend taking either 21 or 23 levels of ranger. 21 ranger gets you access to the Bane of Enemies feat and a +4 Blade Thirst, while 23 ranger makes empathied animals henchmen (so they stick with you until killed or released). I'd also suggest taking either 3 levels of either bard or rogue towards the end of your build in order to get 30 ranks of tumble - that's 3 more AC right there.

I wouldn't bother putting any more points into dex - the Ranger's Leather gives you +2, and the remaining +2 are easy to pick up from Cat's Grace wands or just casting the spell yourself. That said, you probably want to take Spell Focus and Arcane Defense in Abjuration, which will make you a bit less vulnerable to being dispelled.

There's probably other stuff, but I'm blanking on it right now.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to Arelith!
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:10 am

Welcome to Arelith!

Standard ranger is 21R/6F/3R or 23R/4F/3R.

Here are few things that popped up for me in your build...

-Rangers get considerable more skill points than fighter, should always start with a ranger in that case. On Arelith they even get 2 more skill points per level.

Your strength will end up 25, not 26. Fighter bonus is soft (counts as part of 12 cap on attributes).

Dodge is a pretty weak feat (it only counts 1 AC for your current target), it's generally only good as a prerequisite.

Personally I wouldn't go down 2 weapon lines, unless it was heavy fighter built that has feats to spare. I'd dual wield hand axes (with option to equip a shield if needed) or go with waraxe/shield.

Reason people go for 21 minimum ranger levels is blade thirst gives you +4 enchantment at 21, as well as getting hide in plain sight (in natural areas) and bane of enemies feat. Ones that go with 23 tend to want to keep 2 empathied companions (characters with 3/4 ranger levels can have 2 empathy animals).

This is just with quick look. Check forum, there's quite a bit of good ranger advice.

I'm sure this can get trimmed, but something like:

Fighter(4), Ranger(23), Bard(3), Dwarf

STR: 17 (24) (gift)
DEX: 12 (should be 14 with that ranger leather and then cat's grace to top it off to 18)
CON: 16
WIS: 14
INT: 16 (gift)
CHA: 6

Dwarf: (Darkvision, Defensive Training vs. Giants, Stonecunning, Hardiness vs. Poison, Hardiness vs. Spells, Offensive Training vs. Goblinoids, Offensive Training vs. Orcs, Skill Affinity: Lore)
01: Ranger(1): Weapon Focus: Handaxe, Favored Enemy: Orcs, {Dual Wield}
02: Ranger(2)
03: Ranger(3): Expertise
04: Ranger(4): STR+1, (STR=18)
05: Ranger(5): Favored Enemy: Humans
06: Ranger(6): Improved Expertise
07: Ranger(7)
08: Ranger(8): STR+1, (STR=19)
09: Ranger(9): Improved Critical: Handaxe, {Improved Two-Weapon Fighting}
10: Ranger(10): Favored Enemy: Undeads
11: Ranger(11)
12: Ranger(12): STR+1, Blind Fight, (STR=20)
13: Ranger(13)
14: Ranger(14)
15: Ranger(15): Knockdown, Favored Enemy: Outsiders
16: Ranger(16): STR+1, (STR=21)
17: Ranger(17)
18: Ranger(18): Extend Spell
19: Ranger(19)
20: Ranger(20): STR+1, Favored Enemy: Elves, (STR=22)
21: Ranger(21): Bane of Enemies
22: Fighter(1): Epic Weapon Focus: Handaxe
23: Fighter(2): Armor Skin
24: Fighter(3): STR+1, Epic Skill Focus: Discipline, (STR=23)
25: Ranger(22)
26: Ranger(23): Epic Prowess
27: Fighter(4): Weapon Specialization: Handaxe, Epic Weapon Specialization: Handaxe
28: Bard(1): STR+1, (STR=24)
29: Bard(2)
30: Bard(3): Epic Will

Hitpoints: 378
Skillpoints: 223
Saving Throws (Fortitude/Will/Reflex): 20/17/12
Saving Throw bonuses: Spells: +8, Poison: +2
BAB: 25
AB (max, naked): 36 (melee), 27 (ranged)
AC (naked/mundane armor/shield only): 19/30
Spell Casting: Ranger(4)
Alignment Changes: 0

Animal Empathy 29(27), Discipline 33(50), Heal 33(35), Hide 33(34), Move Silently 33(34), Search 4(7), Spellcraft 30(33), Taunt 33(31), Tumble 30(31), UMD 17(15)

wulfburk

Post by wulfburk » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:10 pm

thanks for the tips!

I think im gonna go for 21 ranger, i dont mind not having that animal companion thing at 23, and i prefer rogue for the 3 last lvls, which now im definitelly gonna take. So im thinking 21 ranger, 6 fighter 3 rogue.The extra feat is handy plus the +1 armor ac at lvl 5.

ive noticed that even though my weapon focus battle axe get me a copy of the dwarven waraxe feat, the improved critical battleaxe doesnt (but i can take only it and not the dwarven waraxe one). While on the weapon specializations i can take the dwarven waraxe one.

Stratonike Silvbriga
Archamus Schelen
Demetrius Herhtov

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:39 pm

Keep in mind that ranger 23 also gives a bonus feat, so the net feats remain the same.

It boils down to 1 AC vs 8 skill points (two fighter gives 4, two ranger gives 12), and having or not having empathy henchmen.
Intelligence is too important

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:12 am

If I understand it right battleaxe feats also count for waraxe (if you're a dwarf).

wulfburk

Post by wulfburk » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:39 am

Ah yeah, but i wasnt sure if it was only the weapon focus one but also all the others.

hm in any case it will be a while for me to lvl so i got time to decide, but for now i think im heading towards 6 fighter yep, because i can pick the 5th lvl quite soon and get that ac bonus on lvl 12 or so which will be quite helpful, then pick the 6th in 21 and get epic weapon focus and epic weapon specialization together. And ya ditching the feats for handaxe has given me lots of others soi'll be able to pick the ones you guys suggested! Thanks all!

Stratonike Silvbriga
Archamus Schelen
Demetrius Herhtov