Warlock

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

One Two Three Five

Re: Warlock

Post by One Two Three Five » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:55 am

What you've described there is a druid, friend.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

rookie

Post by rookie » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:54 am

One Two Three Five wrote:What you've described there is a druid, friend.
... Not really? It's close to the druid in the same way that a monk and fighter/WM both use knockdown to CC and do melee damage to kill things, sure.

A druid rarely has a chance to place down grease while threatened in melee. Even if they're MCed for discipline they're having to make a choice to not cast/activate something else that action and it is going to disrupt their animal companion. A warlock can just weave in a single quickened grease for no loss in damage for a single save-or-KD a round for many rounds and can refresh it for free if it is removed or the target moves. And unlike a druid if the enemy decides to run out of it they're still doing 100% of their damage from range.

I find it a bit odd for your post actually as you were asking for unconventional locks in another thread. I guess my mistake. Unless you meant going fiendlock/druid but that would be difficult to RP.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:36 am

It's an interesting idea, actually, and one I've played with before. Woodland Stride giving you free movement over the grease is of course amazing, and 7 ranger levels nets you two Greater Spell Foci - not that warlocks were lacking in feats! There's a few fairly important drawbacks, of course.

- Anything with freedom is going to murder you.
- Doesn't get the final warlock summon.
- Has to rely on scrolls for summons or accept that they're just gonna be falling over CONSTANTLY.
- Mediocre damage.
- Parties will hate you and tell you to just spam flare.
- Grease removing previous castings if more than 1/2 the AoE overlaps means that in order to get the max 4 saves/round, you've got to spend two rounds dropping quickened grease in a grid around your enemy rather than doing damage.

Also fiendlock/ranger RP would be... tricky. I can think of some ways you might go about it, but still, strange.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

rookie

Post by rookie » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:05 pm

I was thinking more for the KD aspect (which still hits FoM targets) than the movement speed debuff, though that's obviously a huge plus if you have time to set that up.

Rest of what you said, yep agreed. If you were willing to risk natural 1s (and the fact that you'd probably have FoM wands) then you could do fiendlock 27/BG 3 as getting a 30 non-spellcraft reflex save is pretty trivial with that combo as well as granting a ton of temp AC with divine shield. Pick something like Orog for ease of meeting the requirements.

TheGreatMars

Post by TheGreatMars » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:31 pm

I actually played a warlock ranger. The idea was that he made the pact and then became a ranger as a cover for the fact that he's a warlock. He also figured the woodland skills would be useful if he ever needed to go on the lamb.

I_Am_King_Midas
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by I_Am_King_Midas » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:09 pm

Is ice storm useful on a fiendlock? Because it's a high level spell you would not be able to cast it as a still spell or quicken it for multiple casts. You could use a haste want for a short burst but I don't see how it can replace your old Aldrich blasts when they can be cast twice per round instead.
Last character: Vahrix Amolyn

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:59 pm

If you've got a wand of haste, or a buddy to haste you then ice storm can be quite a nice source of extra DPS, it's 15d6 extra damage in a fairly large AOE for a level 30 warlock, which stacks with your eldritch blast against the target, and is saveless.

I_Am_King_Midas
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by I_Am_King_Midas » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:23 pm

Nitro wrote:If you've got a wand of haste, or a buddy to haste you then ice storm can be quite a nice source of extra DPS, it's 15d6 extra damage in a fairly large AOE for a level 30 warlock, which stacks with your eldritch blast against the target, and is saveless.

You would just have to worry about cold resistance and then having the haste. It seems like cost wise it probably would not be practical to spam the haste wands. Im guessing it can hurt allies too?

If so im guessing the summary would be... if you are hasted and have no melee help then use it. else its better for another option?
Last character: Vahrix Amolyn

PresidentCthulhu
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by PresidentCthulhu » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:56 am

How useful maximise/empower is for an abyssal lock? I guess it doesn’t effect eldritch blast or does is?
Your friendly neighborhood eldritch horror

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:34 am

No effect on the blast, but Empower is nice to have for the zoo spells that Fiendlocks get. It's not like they don't have feats to spare! I'd pick Empower over Maximize, since the Fiendlock can just keep casting until it gets a good roll.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:16 pm

Nitro wrote:If you've got a wand of haste, or a buddy to haste you then ice storm can be quite a nice source of extra DPS, it's 15d6 extra damage in a fairly large AOE for a level 30 warlock, which stacks with your eldritch blast against the target, and is saveless.
Ice storm is fine to cast a couple of times on something in the distance. However if you have party members, your summon, or yourself anywhere near the combat you're nearly always better off using something else.

Why? Because you'll hurt friendlies or, if you aim correctly at the ground, you'll lose blast damage and likely suffer a DPS reduction (depending on the amount of targets).

This isn't always the case but, in general pve, mitigating your damage received takes precedence over inflicting damage on a monster.

It's not a great boon for a pure lock.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

GodofAwesomeness21

Post by GodofAwesomeness21 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:39 pm

This is a reply or a question a reply.
What are the prereq's for the "Quicken Spell feat" if any ?
I created a char once before with this, but it has been years and epic failure; I didn't make any notes :|

Rigela

Post by Rigela » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:03 pm

GodofAwesomeness21 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:39 pm
This is a reply or a question a reply.
What are the prereq's for the "Quicken Spell feat" if any ?
I created a char once before with this, but it has been years and epic failure; I didn't make any notes :|
http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Quicken_spell

The ability to cast level 4 spells. So for a bard you need to be level.. 12 I think it was, (and have 14 charisma) typically.
Isabella Isherwood - Priestess of Selune
Piper Barley - Joybringer of Lliira

GodofAwesomeness21

Post by GodofAwesomeness21 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:43 am

Thank you. This shouldn’t be an issue; currently at level 9 ; 17 cha and casting level 3 spells.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:23 am

Necroing this thread just really upset me that CJ is gone, wtf dude