Two-handed Paladin?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Palnatoke

Two-handed Paladin?

Post by Palnatoke » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:21 pm

Any way to make this that wouldn't suck? Builds would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Baron Saturday

Re: Two-handed Paladin?

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:02 pm

Doing this str-based is tricky... Str/Cha/Con, at least 13 int. Probably a Paladin 21/Fighter 6/Bard 3 split? AC would be garbage, but lots of damage output & AB.

Don't suppose you'd consider quarterstaff? A dex/cha/con paladin/fighter/monk with quarterstaff could be very entertaining. Just go at their face with up to 9 APR, all of it getting 1.5x your cha bonus in damage from Divine Strength. Fitting the feats might be a nightmare, though.

Also I just like quarterstaves.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:03 pm

Build a normal paladin, then subtract 6 AC and add 2 AB to the build. :?
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:47 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:Don't suppose you'd consider quarterstaff? A dex/cha/con paladin/fighter/monk with quarterstaff could be very entertaining. Just go at their face with up to 9 APR, all of it getting 1.5x your cha bonus in damage from Divine Strength. Fitting the feats might be a nightmare, though.
It sounds great, until you consider the fact that you need 13+ str and cha to get divine might, dex and wisdom for ac, con to not be squishy and int to have skills plus expertise, unless you plan on relying solely on parry, which might work with all the monk attacks.

In any case, you literally need every single stat out there, so it's hard to get anywhere proper with any single one, probably you'd want to focus on dexterity for ab/ac and high charisma for saves/damage.

Paladin would at least boost your wisdom somewhat from levels, 21 would give you +3, which would leave 6 fighter levels and 3 monk.

I happen to think that the evil version with 6 monk, 8 fighter and 16 blackguard would work much better, seeing as you could swap paladin spellcasting for sneak attacking kensai with an epic fiend summon to occupy enemy threats and enable flanking, as you beat down opposition with 9 attacks a round, 10 with a haste potion, using that quarterstaff.

Half-Orc gets 2 free necessary feats, 5% physical damage immunity and doesn't require 15 dexterity. Monk gives hide and cleave pre-requisites for blackguard, plus improved knockdown. You would use parry skill to stay alive when focused, so that you wouldn't need much intelligence either. Focus on strength, charisma (gift counters orc penalty) and constitution, with some wisdom and dexterity, minimal intelligence for mandatory skills.

All in all, it's a slight variation to the rogue I posted elsewhere, this one gets 3 more attacks due to being monk and kensai, less sneak attack dice, no UMD, uncanny dodge or crippling strike and suffers from lower armor class (due to not having armor and lacking both high dexterity and wisdom).

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:51 am

I'd honestly completely forgotten the prereqs for Divine might/shield. I'll mess around with stat spreads when I get home, see if there's anything workable there.

Also, for any str-based paladin, I highly recommend the Templar armor. You trade 1 AC for 3 Cha, which takes quite a bit of gearing pressure off.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Palnatoke

Post by Palnatoke » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:56 pm

I should have written, I need him to use a greatsword.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:56 pm

I've always wanted to play a two-blading great-smiting half-orc paladin of Sune. *sparkly eyes*
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:25 pm

Greatsword means that dex builds are out, monk is out, weapon master probably is out too, or at least it won't be as cool as some other options like scimitar for a small race or scythe, that could get some crazy criticals going with divine might.

I assume that since OP only mentioned paladin as a class, that means the majority of levels should be paladin too, and not some 3-4 level dip. Something like 21+ levels for full spell list, extra points in wisdom and +3 caster level against dispels.

I would guess the staple build goes something like this: paladin 23 fighter 4 rogue 3

Human, starting stats: 18 / 8 / 14 / 13 / 11 / 16 (str and cha gifts)
ending up with: 26 / 8 / 14 / 13 / 14 / 18 (3 great str feats, 3 wisdom from paladin)

Only paladin levels are taken pre-epic to get maximum BAB and the most epic feats (8 in total).

Pre-epic feats: blind-fight, weapon focus, improved critical, power attack, divine might, divine shield, expertise and knockdown.

During epics, fighter gives epic weapon focus, normal and epic specialization for greatsword. Rogue gives 2d6 sneak attack, evasion, uncanny dodge, tumble and UMD, among other miscellaneous skills. last 2 feats after stat increases go towards getting epic prowess and armor skin.

If through spells and items you manage to get both +12 str and +12 cha (bull's strength, eagle's splendor, aura of glory, etc.), then with a mundane weapon your buffed attacks can do the following damage:

7 (greatsword) + 21 (14 str modifier, two handed) + 6 (epic specialization) + 15 (10 cha modifier, two handed divine might) + 5 (holy avenger) + 2d6 vs flanked (sneak attack), 1d6 vs evil (holy avenger), +2d6 vs undead or outsider (bless weapon) = 54 average damage (multiplied by crits) + up to 5d6 (17.5) if sneak attacking an evil outsider.

If merely dipping into paladin is fine, then most likely a bard would work best as a core class, then just slapping paladin on top for better defense and divine might. Then maybe fighter.

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bashagain » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:43 pm

If you’re gonna be paired with a big shield wielding, improved Expertise enabled, tumble-maxed, armor skinned comrade, you’d have a blast chopping through stuff with your great sword.

Like Wyrchee said, build a standard, optimal Paladin, and subtract 6 AC for 2 AB... plus your charisma and strength bonus all multiplied by 1.5 which should come out to be about 36.

Go with 17 Paladin, 10 CoT, 3 Rogue for a well balanced melee, and 16 Paladin, 10 CoT, 4 rogue for a Great Smite 9 enabled max tumbler.

Your damage is your Weapon Damage+(Str bonus + char bonus)x 1.5 + 5 divine wrath + 5 divine favor.

Your gear maxed strength bonus being about 8 and your maxed charisma bonus being about 14, your Damage bonus for the style is about 12 extra damage over your typical one handed weapon wielding Paladin.

Have fun.
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63

dallion43
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by dallion43 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:28 pm

PvP/PvE
17pal/10cot/3bard. Preferably human Ashimar.
Forget about smite, focus on AB(stats focus: Strength (fit prowless, +10 ESF: taunt, and AS), imp.disarm,basic divine power and shield(around +9 after buffs). Carry Mord scrolls. True strike potion will bring you to a very relevant disarm AB vs majority of weapons. TS+imp.knok will bring to apprx 50% knok vs any non str build.
PvE/PvP
17pal/10vanguard(pdk)/3bard
Preferably human Ashimar.
Forget about smite, focus on AB(stats focus: Strength(fit prowless, +10 ESF: taunt, AS and +10 ESF intimidate),basic divine power and shield(around +9 after buffs). Carry Mord scrolls. The Vanguard will lower enemy ab by -6(apprx DC 41 vs will)

P.C
Bard can be traded for rouge with some "take when" consideration.
Both builds BTW have enough AB to switch to shield for the price of -3ab(-5ab) when needed in PvE.
Consider paladin halfling(or any small) with a scimitar if you care about build optimization.

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bashagain » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Alright, here’s the refresher for those who missed the good ol’ Paladin optimization for Charisma based build. For UMD, just drop 1 point while taking rogue to have full magic scroll access. Remember: Your build has 14 or 15 charisma bonus that powers your UMD.

1. FULL SMITE VARIANT (16 Paladin, 10 Champion of Torm, 4 Rogue)
Great Smiter 9 Paladin with Full Tumble and UMD (Time Stop Smite or Critical Hit Immune Smite Punch via Golem Shapechange) aka Erik Silverarms Build, circa 2006 (readjusted with gifts)

Starting stat

Str 14 (16 str gift token)
Dex 8
Con 11 (10 Natural Leader Background)
Int 14 (if you don’t want Expertise and extra skill points, make int 10 and increase Str to 16 for 18 after str token))
Wis 12 (14 Paladin Wisdom Bonus Later)
Cha 17 (20 Cha Gift and Natural Leader Background)

Paladin
1 power attack, weapon focus
3 divine might
6 divine Shield
9 improved Critical
12 Blind fight
15 Extra Smite

Rogue
18 Expertise (if your character has 10 intelligence, choose knockdown instead)

Champion of Torm
21 Great Smite 1 and 2
23 Great Smite 3
24 Great Smite 4
25 Great Smite 5

Rogue
27 Great Smite 6, Skill dump: Tumble 30

Champion of Torm
28 Great Smite 7
30 Great Smite 8 and 9.

Max gear for Charisma and Str should give you bonus of 15 and 8 respectively. 23 total ability bonus instead of 24 I wrote in the earlier build forum post. However if you go with the dumber (int 10) variant, you retain 24 total.

For a more versatile version, replace the nine Great Smites with the mundane essential feats of descending priority as follows:
Armor Skin, Epic Weapon Focus, Improved Expertise, Knockdown, Improved Knockdown, Epic Skill Focus Discipline, Epic Prowess, Epic Skill Focus Taunt, Epic Skill Focus Heal.

Instead of the last six feats, you could rearrange the feats and still keep 6 Great Smites, thereby qualifying you as a genuine Smiter while keeping you still somewhat balanced.

You could also switch out a few Skill Focus in favor of SPELL focus and greater spell focus Abjuration if you want your holy avenger sword to function better. You would need to rearrange the earlier feats into epic to squeeze in the spell focus feats.

If you don’t care to have ANY Great Smites, don’t take Extra Smite and switch it out with something else like toughness, exotic weapon for replayability (whipping Paladin or scythe wielder for those skull mask cosplay sessions). ALSO, be sure to MOVE your triple ROGUE levels to start at level 25. You DON’T NEED the fourth rogue level if you are not a smiter going for Great Smite 9!

2. LESSER SMITE VARIANT (17 Paladin, 10 Champion of Torm, 3 Rogue)
Versatile UMD Paladin with Maximized AC Healing Kit Spam (via Improved Expertise), Improved Knockdown Spam, Disarm Spam, and High Dicipline aka Daltanius Build, circa 2015.

Beginning stats:

Str 15 (17 str gift token)
Dex 9
Int 14
Cha 16 (19 Cha Gift and Natural Leader Background)

Paladin
1 power attack, Disarm (Exotic Weapons or Toughness or Spell Focus: Abjuration)
3 divine might
6 divine Shield
9 improved Critical
12 Blind fight
15 Weapon Focus

Champion of Torm
AND Improved Expertise
20 Knockdown
21 Armor Skin
22 Epic Weapon Focus
24 Improved Knockdown, Epic Skill Focus Discipline

Rogue
25 Necessary UMD allocation (Usually 11 should be more than enough for most artifacts)
27 Epic Skill Focus Taunt, Skill dump: Tumble 30

Champion of Torm
29 Epic Skill Focus Heal

Paladin
30 Maximize TAUNT skill. Choose the final feat. My personal choice is Improved Disarm. (First you taunt, knock him down, then take away his weapon)

Epic Prowess, Extra Turning or whatever (Choose Greater Spell focus: Abjuration if you took it at level 1)

Final max gear ability bonus should be 9 and 14 for total of 23 ability bonus again. (Again, 24 with dumber variant)

Enjoy!
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:41 am

I was going to go do other things with my evening, but some of the advice here is so egregiously bad that leaving it uncontested would be inexcusable, so I'll toss a few minutes this way.

Some minor corrections, might be a bit ungentle in my treatment of other people's builds at times, but that's just how it's got to be:
Lurch wrote:Greatsword means that dex builds are out, monk is out, weapon master probably is out too, or at least it won't be as cool as some other options like scimitar for a small race or scythe, that could get some crazy criticals going with divine might.
WM was out the moment paladin was in the build. Don't mix the two under any circumstances.

Bashagain wrote: 1. FULL SMITE VARIANT (16 Paladin, 10 Champion of Torm, 4 Rogue)
Great Smiter 9 Paladin with Full Tumble and UMD
..snip.
Don't play this build.

Full smite variant is a waste of 3 feats that you should be spending on armor skin, epic weapon focus, and epic disc focus. Not even smite paladins can afford to forget that they're, at their base, a melee class, and should be at least basically competent in epic melee situations. The above feats are core for those situations. Gsmite 9 is largely a waste on Arelith, because there aren't any opponents that will be any more dead when GS9x3 is dumped on them than they would be when GS6x3 is dumped.
Bashagain wrote:2. LESSER SMITE VARIANT (17 Paladin, 10 Champion of Torm, 3 Rogue)
Versatile UMD Paladin with Maximized AC Healing Kit Spam (via Improved Expertise), Improved Knockdown Spam, Disarm Spam, and High Dicipline aka Daltanius Build, circa 2015.

Beginning stats:

Dex 9
Int 14

Paladin
3 divine might
6 divine Shield
9 improved Critical
12 Blind fight
15 Weapon Focus

Champion of Torm
AND Improved Expertise
20 Knockdown
21 Armor Skin
22 Epic Weapon Focus

Rogue
25 Necessary UMD allocation (Usually 11 should be more than enough for most artifacts)

Champion of Torm
29 Epic Skill Focus Heal
Rename this build to "I'd like to flat foot myself out of 20 AC on a divine shield build and pray that I can outheal incoming damage". Then consider if you want to play this build with a greatsword, like the OP wants to do. (Spoiler: you don't).

Really really don't play this build. Stat distro here is all wrong. Charisma isn't the right focus on a build that doesn't go for smites, imo. If you're determined to go full into charisma, at least fix the stat distro to get you to a decent con mod. 16/8/13/14/11/15 is a reasonable starting point. You're skipping level 4 spells here, but if you want the holy sword build, this isn't the class spread you're looking for anyhow (we'll get to the one you want later). Assuming you're still hellbent on charisma, you also need to fix the feat selection.

Disarm, exotic prof, and SF: Abj are all really bad feats here. The first two because they don't add anything useful to your build, and the last because you don't have room to finish off GSF:abj, which is where the feat choice gets good.

Bolded the bit about characters who have 10 intelligence, because you should never have 10 intelligence. Save yourself the pain and don't do this.

Epic feat list is a messy and terrible hash of mismatched feats. ESF Heal and Taunt do not take precedence over epic prowess, particularly if you've decided that chabuild is how you want to do this.

As an aside, if you're rolling a 2h build like the OP wants, then you absolutely do not want to blend CoT with improved expertise healkit spam. You'll have such miserable AC, especially when flat footed that putting 120ish HP/round back on yourself is not really a valid strategy. You shouldn't even play this build with a sword and board setup.

If this is actually what you ran for Daltanius, then rolling him was one of the kindest acts I've ever seen on Arelith.

Other notes:

Greatsword paladin is relatively bad. The damage/AB for AC tradeoff doesn't favor a build that needs fights to last long enough to get through a few rounds of buffing when the chips are on the line. If you're intent on running it, you probably want to go with the default 23/4/3 paladin build and pray for the best. The 17 pal/10 CoT/3 rogue strength-based setup will probably be fun, but you will be going all in on a glass-cannon 2hander that's good for a minute and a half every 10 min or so, and just okay the rest of the time. Be prepared to die a whole lot whenever -guard isn't around to save you.

Stay away from smiter builds if you want to run greatsword, for the similar reasons. When you're not smiting, you want the time to get a couple rounds of buffs on. When you are smiting, a few extra points of damage are going to be lost in the background noise of the big smites.

Stay away from bard, which is even more reliant on AC carrying the day than main-paladin builds, and, with a smaller HP pool, can less easily afford to throw 6 AC away.

Palnatoke

Post by Palnatoke » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:58 am

Thanks for all the input.

I'm considering bastard sword over greatsword, to be more versatile.

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bashagain » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:22 am

Scurvy Cur wrote:I was going to go do other things with my evening, but some of the advice here is so egregiously bad that leaving it uncontested would be inexcusable, so I'll toss a few minutes this way.

Some minor corrections, might be a bit ungentle in my treatment of other people's builds at times, but that's just how it's got to be:
Lurch wrote:Greatsword means that dex builds are out, monk is out, weapon master probably is out too, or at least it won't be as cool as some other options like scimitar for a small race or scythe, that could get some crazy criticals going with divine might.
WM was out the moment paladin was in the build. Don't mix the two under any circumstances.

Bashagain wrote: 1. FULL SMITE VARIANT (16 Paladin, 10 Champion of Torm, 4 Rogue)
Great Smiter 9 Paladin with Full Tumble and UMD
..snip.
Don't play this build.

Full smite variant is a waste of 3 feats that you should be spending on armor skin, epic weapon focus, and epic disc focus. Not even smite paladins can afford to forget that they're, at their base, a melee class, and should be at least basically competent in epic melee situations. The above feats are core for those situations. Gsmite 9 is largely a waste on Arelith, because there aren't any opponents that will be any more dead when GS9x3 is dumped on them than they would be when GS6x3 is dumped.
Bashagain wrote:2. LESSER SMITE VARIANT (17 Paladin, 10 Champion of Torm, 3 Rogue)

Beginning stats:

Dex 9
Int 14

Paladin
3 divine might
6 divine Shield
9 improved Critical
12 Blind fight
15 Weapon Focus

Champion of Torm
AND Improved Expertise
20 Knockdown
21 Armor Skin
22 Epic Weapon Focus

Rogue

Champion of Torm
29 Epic Skill Focus Heal
Rename this build to "I'd like to flat foot myself out of 20 AC on a divine shield build and pray that I can outheal incoming damage". Then consider if you want to play this build with a greatsword, like the OP wants to do. (Spoiler: you don't).

Really really don't play this build. Stat distro here is all wrong. Charisma isn't the right focus on a build that doesn't go for smites, imo. If you're determined to go full into charisma, at least fix the stat distro to get you to a decent con mod. 16/8/13/14/11/15 is a reasonable starting point. You're skipping level 4 spells here, but if you want the holy sword build, this isn't the class spread you're looking for anyhow (we'll get to the one you want later). Assuming you're still hellbent on charisma, you also need to fix the feat selection.

Disarm, exotic prof, and SF: Abj are all really bad feats here. The first two because they don't add anything useful to your build, and the last because you don't have room to finish off GSF:abj, which is where the feat choice gets good.

Bolded the bit about characters who have 10 intelligence, because you should never have 10 intelligence. Save yourself the pain and don't do this.

Epic feat list is a messy and terrible hash of mismatched feats. ESF Heal and Taunt do not take precedence over epic prowess, particularly if you've decided that chabuild is how you want to do this.

As an aside, if you're rolling a 2h build like the OP wants, then you absolutely do not want to blend CoT with improved expertise healkit spam. You'll have such miserable AC, especially when flat footed that putting 120ish HP/round back on yourself is not really a valid strategy. You shouldn't even play this build with a sword and board setup.

If this is actually what you ran for Daltanius, then rolling him was one of the kindest acts I've ever seen on Arelith.

Other notes:

Greatsword paladin is relatively bad. The damage/AB for AC tradeoff doesn't favor a build that needs fights to last long enough to get through a few rounds of buffing when the chips are on the line. If you're intent on running it, you probably want to go with the default 23/4/3 paladin build and pray for the best. The 17 pal/10 CoT/3 rogue strength-based setup will probably be fun, but you will be going all in on a glass-cannon 2hander that's good for a minute and a half every 10 min or so, and just okay the rest of the time. Be prepared to die a whole lot whenever -guard isn't around to save you.

Stay away from smiter builds if you want to run greatsword, for the similar reasons. When you're not smiting, you want the time to get a couple rounds of buffs on. When you are smiting, a few extra points of damage are going to be lost in the background noise of the big smites.

Stay away from bard, which is even more reliant on AC carrying the day than main-paladin builds, and, with a smaller HP pool, can less easily afford to throw 6 AC away.
Whew, that was a long one. Breathe my friend, breathe!
BTW, Scurvy stopped reading at level 29. Level 30 has GSpellFocus: Abjuration.

First, Full Smiter is an extreme. I put it up there because a great sword wielding Paladin cannot afford to be in a battle longer than 2 rounds. Two-handed great sword wielding Paladin fighting evil has to drop the opponent with triple Smite flurry or his chance of survival drops down with every second.

Second, my bottom line is this: Use a shield when you’re on defensive. Just because you get Weapon focus and Epic Weapon focus on a great Sword weapon doesn’t mean you can’t use a shield. The caveat of the build is that You SWITCH into a Healing Shell (by switching on Improved Expertise with your weapon of choice and grabbing that fat shield to spam healing - that heals approximately 110 hp (2 x 45+d20) per round). If the “healing shell” works well in tanking against Abazuur, The Juggernaut, or Solo-ing The Beast in the Underdark Cage Match, believe me; it’s good enough to be playable.

When you’re well situated in a bottleneck or going 1-on-1, go offensive and use your bread-and-butter 2-Handed Great Sword. IMO There are different weapons for a reason. Use your scimitar or rapier for the living, use the two hander for the undead and the golems. As the original post requested a 2 hander Great Sword Paladin build, my suggested build offers the only AC boosting option the premise allows. Seriously, would you rather have a two-handed Paladin character WITH AC boost or without it?

Allow me to explain:

The advantage of a Paladin character is that your Charisma gives you three primary advantages: Saves, (DR Bypassing) Damage, AC (+14 extra on all fronts; 21 on Damage with two-hand). Maximizing charisma and strength is only the most optimal choice. You choose 15 and 16 for your primary. In terms of the cost, they’re same. If you want to trade away both 1 SAVE and 1 AC for just 1 AB, by all means switch to str 16 and cha 15 as Scurvy suggests instead of str 15 and cha 16. I prefer higher saves to fully utilize Evasion effects and survive implosions; I also happen to like the CL 27 Turn undead powered by High Charisma. In addition, I find it very useful to extend the duration of CoT’s Divine Wrath (+5 AB, +5 Damage, +5 Save Booster) while increasing the number of turning I get per day. Oh, and I forgot to mention my fetish for DR Bypassing Divine Damage. So, naturally, for a Paladin build, I give a slight edge to Charisma over Strength.

If you have issues with Divine shield’s AC bonus being flatfoot susceptible dodge bonus, ask yourself if you enjoy +6 AC tumble dodge bonus. If you do, ask yourself if you’d pass on maxed out 20 AC dodge bonus from stacked divine shield and tumble for your Paladin. My point is that for your Paladin, there is no other alternative to boost the AC beyond the armor you’re wearing.

As for my suggestion of 9 Dex and 12 Wis Against Scurvy’s 14 Con and 11 Wis, the difference is significant. I advise 9 Dex based on that Cats Grace gets you 1+ d4. Resulting Average of 3 should max out your full plate Dex ceiling by getting you 12 Dex half the time you cast Cat’s Grace. Dex of 8 does not.

Con 14 is nice. Of course it will be Con 13 after the cost-saving natural leader swap for Cha, saving you 3 points in the purchase as you push your Cha to 19 after the +2 gift, but like the case with 9 Dex, it makes it easy for your stat boost with Endurance.

11 Wis? Never! That will prevent you from getting access to Death Ward and Holy Sword. Considering all the Banshee wails you have to put up with, Death Ward is mandatory. Also, if you’re playing a Paladin character, you should not be willing to give up your chance to cover your keen, fully decked out magical sword with a +5 Holy avenger that dispels. It’s your most iconic weapon! Even before the updates, Holy Avenger did a fine job removing magical effects from UMD heavy melee characters. After the update, even without investing a single EPic Spell Focus, you have 7 more CL to dispel your opponents. Trust me, it’ll do the job against most of your opponents.

FYI. Daltanius’ actual build was a board-and-hammer Great Smite 4 to 6 build with last level CoT with 2 feats that I used to adjust different feats depending on different situations. Armor Skin, Epic Weapon Focus, knockdown, and improved Expertise were all taken before level 24, allowing 6 feats for Great Smite. Level 27 tumble (30) and UMD (11 for charisma boosted total of 25) were taken. The last 2 feats, I used to alternate between double great smites, epic prowess, improved knockdown, epic skill focus discipline, heal, exotic weapons, or basically whatever to suit the mood I was in.

I’m kind, but not THAT kind.