Comparing summons... do my s...?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

rookie

Re: Comparing summons... do my s...?

Post by rookie » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:55 am

Rexiczech wrote:No you wont. If mob attacks you, you wont get sneack attack regardless how many others attacking it(others yes but you dont). If its flatfooded(knocked down, paralyzed), all gets. If mob change the target (attck of opportunity, disemgage, circle kick or just change target) you trigger sneak attack. But if its momentarily in combat with you, you dont trigger sneak.
I made sure before I posted it up by summoning things on the PGCC with a pet out. Both of us are hitting the mob, mob swings at me, my next attack is a sneak attack, mob swings at me again, I continue sneak attacking it. At all times it was pointed towards me.

Do I need to make a screenshot or something?

Edit: Just to make things easier

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:31 am

That's actually a surprise to me as well, rookie. I'd always been under the impression that you lost sneak attack if the opponent was targeting you. That's certainly how it's always seemed to work when fighting mobs with sneak attack - soon as I started attacking the enemy that was sneak attacking me, the sneaks stopped.

Are you sure that the damage done by your elemental in between your two sneaks didn't draw the attention of the bear to it for just long enough to get another sneak in, effectively bouncing the aggro back and forth?

However it works, though, as a BG with a summon out, you will be getting a fair few sneak attacks in.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:49 am

That's... 100% not how it works in base NWN. Unless there was a stealth update, something funny is going on, like that bear is flat-footed or blind for some reason. You aren't supposed to get sneak attacks against something that's focused on you.

It's also definitely not how it worked in Arelith up to ay least like a month ago.

rookie

Post by rookie » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:19 am

The PGCC I was using was a nearly fresh install of the GOG version with nothing special that would change combat code.

The example I haven't isn't the best on Arelith, I'll see if I can locate a troll or something to beat on and add a screenshot.

SwampFoot

Post by SwampFoot » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:33 am

The logs on that screenshot still suggest that the bear may not have been focused at you when your attack struck.
You (sneak)attacked the bear, the bear attacked you, the elemental attacked the bear twice and you (sneak)attacked the bear.

rookie

Post by rookie » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:06 am

It could be that the bear attacks my character but changes focus between attacks allowing my character to sneak attack only for the bear to refocus and hit my character again with no visual confirmation that it is happening. It may be what is transpiring is that the creature is being juggled between the two. I won't argue that it could be coded that way.

Even if that is what is going on it still enables one to have a mob hitting you and you sneak attacking it between strikes.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:13 am

Try partying up with someone in game and have your character with sneak attack put them on -guard. This forces the enemies to engage with you, and you'll find that you don't get sneak attacks in that case.

Another way to convince yourself of this is to go somewhere where some of the mobs have sneak attack. For example, if you go to Wharftown Boys, the dual-scimitar guys will get sneak attacks against you, but will stop getting sneak attacks when you designate them as your target.

Only exception: when you get an attack of opportunity on another enemy, the sneak attacker that your main attacks are targeting might have a brief window to get one sneak attack in.

It's been a major part of the strategy in this game for years that you sometimes give targeting priority to sneak attackers to deny them sneak damage.

rookie

Post by rookie » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:44 am

While I could have worded my statement better my disagreement isn't with that part.

My disagreement was with (cut Xuuldar's part a bit):
Rexiczech wrote:
Xuuldar wrote:...the BG uses the summon as a supplement as they are a full melee class on their own and use the summons for extra damage and to enable their sneak attacks.
BG gets sneak attacks, and as I will be tanking, I wont do sneak attk dmg. I got the point :) I dont know anything about summons sneak attack tho.
You can do so while not even having your pet be attacked. I ran around on my BG earlier and was getting sneak attacks the vast majority of my attacks with the undead summon aiding while keeping the attacks on my character. The inability to guard your pet actually works in your favor here. At the very least against a pack of mobs you can keep threat on all but a single one while your pet and you juggle that one between the two of you with the pet taking some hits.

A difference between the mechanics on-paper and how it can play out when you throw in other factors like the AI.

Rexiczech

Post by Rexiczech » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:00 am

rookie wrote:While I could have worded my statement better my disagreement isn't with that part.

My disagreement was with (cut Xuuldar's part a bit):
Rexiczech wrote:
Xuuldar wrote:...the BG uses the summon as a supplement as they are a full melee class on their own and use the summons for extra damage and to enable their sneak attacks.
BG gets sneak attacks, and as I will be tanking, I wont do sneak attk dmg. I got the point :) I dont know anything about summons sneak attack tho.
You can do so while not even having your pet be attacked. I ran around on my BG earlier and was getting sneak attacks the vast majority of my attacks with the undead summon aiding while keeping the attacks on my character. The inability to guard your pet actually works in your favor here. At the very least against a pack of mobs you can keep threat on all but a single one while your pet and you juggle that one between the two of you with the pet taking some hits.

A difference between the mechanics on-paper and how it can play out when you throw in other factors like the AI.
You are right, I can attack the one who is currently targeting summon, and I get sneak attack, because AI is scripted the way that mob is attacking the one who is dmging it (last, or more and so, not totally sure), then you get some sneak. But it 100% wont work if I taunt the target to attack me. I get it really, you can get some sneaks, on mobs which are not immune, you can caught them flatfooded, indeed, but if you are fighting one mob with summon together, and you trigger sneak, its ouy know the mob has changed target, so skill taunt has passed and you want it up again for -6AC, so you lost your sneak attack :)
But well, leave this topic, I didnt wanted to make some flame here :D

I already decided, and as I wont get the max of sneak attacks (same as rogue/asn playing solo), it doesnt matter now, good point is I will trigger it sometimes as I forget about sneaks on knockdowned mob. And if AB of mob is low, so I dont need to taunt it(in afraid of he killing my summon), I will trigger sneaks some on it too.

Thanks all for the points.

Karris the Anarchist
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Karris the Anarchist » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:07 pm

Rexiczech wrote:Maybe blind fight switch for lingering... But lingering or extended/stilled spells are buffs for my monstrosity!!! :)
Or perhps +2 ac, ab isnt worth sacrificing those feats?
Blindfight and Knockdown on a BG are better than both spell focuses in conjuration. Why? Because ultimately, Blindfight and Knockdown will help both you and the summon survive, whereas the spell focuses will only make the fiend stronger.

As a melee character, you NEED blind fight - it'll literally double your hit rate against creatures with concealment, of which there are generally more of, the higher level you get.

Also, you won't always be able to have your fiend out for whatever reason. And when an enemy is knocked down, you get sneak attacks, as other mentioned :)

And anyway, if the fiend does, just wait for the cooldown and resummon it. It's expendable.
That which doesn't kill you, simply makes you... stranger.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:12 pm

As was said, blind fight is not optional. It is a mandatory feat if you are a melee fighter.
\

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:03 pm

Just thought I'd share my build idea for anyone looking to make use of the epic fiend buddy:

Human Rogue 10 / Fighter 4 / Blackguard 16

pre-epic: Rogue 7 / Fighter 3 / Blackguard 10 (BAB 18)

focus on str and cha, remember base 15 dex for ambidexterity, using quarterstaff, dont neglect con and int totally either, dump wisdom.

pre-epic feats: blindfight, ambidex, twf, itwf, weapon focus, imp crit, power attack, cleave, divine might and a combat feat like called shot or knockdown to synergise with strength drain from rogue's crippling strike

epic feats: 2d6 improved SA, epic weapon focus, epic skill focus discipline, epic fiendish servant, weapon specialization, epic weapon specialization, crippling strike

Offense wise: ends up with 7 attacks in haste, 1.5x two handed divine might, epic weapon spec and 12d6 sneak attacks with crippling strike when flanking enemies targeting the summon, swap to parry mode whenever you get targeted instead.

Defense wise has the usual goodies: discipline, tumble, dark blessing, evasion and uncanny dodge, as well as rogue skills and UMD for utility.

Half-orc alternatively is perhaps more impressive: saves a feat for exotic weapon proficiency (for two-bladed weapons), divine shield or toughness and less MAD (gets ambidex and power attack for free, doesn't need 15 dex), substitutes cha penalty for str bonus, gets 5% damage immunity, but loses 2 skills (lower int, not human).

Rivace_Silver

Post by Rivace_Silver » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:41 pm

This is a work in progress.

Here is my BG im currently building

pool of feats wanted
-impcrit ab+8 weapfoc
-kd
-impkd ab+7 13+int
-exp 13+int
-impexp 13+int
-exotic ab+1
-weapfoc exotic
-epicweapfoc weapfoc HD21+
-cleave pwratk 13+str
-Gcleave cleave 13+str pwratk ab+4
-Divn might
-power attack 13+str
-Epic fiend blackguard 15
-slipmind rogue 10 levels
-weaponspec
-epicweaponspec
Armor skin
Blind fighting

progression 10 rogue 4 fighter 16 bg Pre epic 7 rogue 3 fighter 10 BG Ab 18/13/8/3
3 rog
3 figtr
1 r
10 bg
3 r
1 f @lv 21 for Epic Weap Spec
6 bg
3 r

saves
f 3 + 3 + 7= 13 }\
r 1 + 7 + 3= 11 }- +cha bonus
w 1 + 3 + 3= 7 }/ -will rolls are re-rolled if failed

Race Orog (kensai)
H-Orc Orog Point Buy
s 8+2 8+2 +6 (6) = 18
d 8 8-2 +3 (3) = 9
c 8 8 +6 (6) = 14
w 8 8-2 = 6 (-2 will rolls)
i 8-2 8+2 +5 (5) = 13
ch 8-2 8+4 +8 (10) = 18

Feats 11 +3 fighter + 1 rogue special
1 +0 kd
3 +2 Exotic
f4 +3 Pwratk
f5 +4 Cleave
6 +5 Gcleave
9 +8/3 weapfoc
12 +11/6/1 Imp crit
15 +14/9/4 Imp kd
18 Exp
21 Weap Spec
f21 Epic Weap Spec
bg24 div might
24 Epic weapfoc
bg27 epic fiend summon
27 imp exp
30 Armor skin
r30 slippery mind

So you get a plate melee with 10d6 Sneaks good AC with an un-foci-boosted Fiend and undead summon, With terribly low Willsaves (and ive tried to figure out how to get it sooner) but gets to re-roll all failed will rolls once with slippery mind. Forget about Crippling strike, its nice but twohanding a Scythe (im considering changing to a Great Axe) its not required. Went Orog Kensai to offset the loss of the shield AC (kensai gives +2 ac .. Orog race gives +1 ac) (though Expertise and sword and board to kit up during times of strife)

Im missing Blind Fighting. Im looking for a non-feat soution to that but because im feat starved as hell. Instead of wielding a scythe i could change exotic feat for blindfighting. I could also Kick ImpKD

[What is the highest level that is recommended to take Blind fighting by? 12? 18? ]

Thoughts and Critiques are welcome Im a novice builder. I built this while being bored at work one day and came home to start it up .. i just found this thread because i was looking into how the spell foci effected my summons.. and maybe change the build to take those..
-That one time that Stath did that one thing and it was funny...

-We cannot all be the hero, some have to be the normal folk who make others heros..

- we are all the protagonist of our own stories.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:11 am

I would never trade crippling strike on a rogue, especially for something like slippery mind, which people tend to overrate in it's usefulness. The best that it can offer you is functional +5 will saves, and that's only in the raw 50/50 cases, often times it's much more lackluster when your chances of saving are higher or lower. If for example you save only on a 17 or higher, slippery mind gives you roughly a +3 bonus. If you save only on a 19 or 20, it's literally better to have iron will or some other static +2 bonus. Likewise if your saves are very good, slippery mind does very little.

Crippling strike on the other hand is probably one of the best class abilities out there, offering a permanent, irresistible, stacking strength penalty to anything susceptible to sneak attacks. With 6+ attacks while flanking, you can lower anybody's strength score down to 3 in a short space of time, often gimping their attack bonus (unless they are a finesse character), slowing them due to encumbrance and devastating their damage output and discipline skill, making them easier marks for combat feats like knockdown.

The only limiting factors are that crippling strikes only work in melee and that it only works through sneak attacks that manage to hit. Thus, having high AB and a buddy or summon to offer flanking are crucial.

You could even try combining crippling strikes with called shots (they stack too, only last for 4 rounds though) to the legs and arms to further cripple their movement speed, dexterity and AB as well, crushing even those finesse builds. Called shots work against creatures too large to knockdown, and most monsters are valid targets due to having some form of limbs to attack.

Rivace_Silver

Post by Rivace_Silver » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:02 am

Lurch wrote:I would never trade crippling strike on a rogue, especially for something like slippery mind, which people tend to overrate in it's usefulness. The best that it can offer you is functional +5 will saves, and that's only in the raw 50/50 cases, often times it's much more lackluster when your chances of saving are higher or lower. If for example you save only on a 17 or higher, slippery mind gives you roughly a +3 bonus. If you save only on a 19 or 20, it's literally better to have iron will or some other static +2 bonus. Likewise if your saves are very good, slippery mind does very little.
I am very sorry but that is not at all how a re-roll will benefit you .. It comes down to statistics surrounding that D20 roll. [edit: Unless your telling me its completely reworked and different on arelith...]

First of all .. the re-roll will almost eliminate the insta-fail for getting a 1 on a save roll .. you have 5% of a 5% (1 in 400) chance to get double 1's..

What if i do save on a 17+ .. and i roll a 2 ? ... my re-roll could get me that 17+ since slippery mind provides a second and independent chance to meet that save if the first one failed...

Where do you get the idea that "The best that it can offer you is functional +5 will saves" or " If for example you save only on a 17 or higher, slippery mind gives you roughly a +3 bonus." It almost appears as though you said +3 because 17 is 3 less then 20 .. But slippery mind does not depend on your will save. Explicitly, Slippery mind gives you, again, a second roll if the first one failed. How much one will benefit does depend highly on what your will is at, specifically those with lower will saves will benefit more by it. I could run through an entire lecture of probability and how the statistics apply here but it would take me a few hours to type it all out and much less time for anyone to google it.

here is another example .. my will save is 16 and the DC is 25 .. the probability that i fail this roll is 40% .. the probability that i fail twice is 16% (ill let you check my math) that propagates throughout all situations.

I do agree that crippling strike would be better. I think I'm trying to compensate for a severe weakness in my defense since wielding a scythe and all my other abilities are tending towards a offence focused/oriented.

-We cannot all be the hero, some have to be the normal folk who make others heros..

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:47 am

Okay, I think you've misread me, so let's run through the probabilities, taking every situation that could possibly apply and assume they're equally likely (equal likelihood is untrue but go with me here, it makes the math simpler).

So in order to calculate the difference in probability, we take the probability of failing a save on a single die and square that probability in the case of slippery mind to calculate the probability of failing both rolls, then compare the results.

Let's start from the difficult and move down to the easy rolls:

20 : 95% fail normally, 90.25% fail with slippery mind, 4.75% increased chance of success
19+ : 90% fail normally, 81% fail with SM, 9% increase (roughly equivalent to the +2 I mentioned)
18+ : 85% fail normally, 72.25% fail with SM, 12.75% increase
17+ : 80% fail normally, 64% fail with SM, 16% increase (roughly equivalent to the +3 I mentioned)
16+ : 75% - 56.25% -> 18.75% increase
15+ : 70% - 49% -> 21% increase
14+ : 65% - 42.25% -> 22.75% increase
13+ : 60% - 36% -> 24% increase
12+ : 55% - 30.25% -> 24.75% increase
11+ : 50% - 25% -> 25% increase
10+ : 45% - 20.25% -> 24.75% increase (identical to 12+)
9+ : 40% - 16% -> 24% increase (identical to 13+)
*and so on*

after 11+ the relative probability increase starts going back symmetrically as you start to see towards the end, meaning that situations like 10+ and 12+, 9+ and 13+, 8+ and 14+ etc. are equivalent in the sense that slippery mind helps an equal amount in those cases. Lets combine them together so that we get the following distribution:

20 & 2+ : 4.75%
19+ & 3+ : 9%
18+ & 4+ : 12.75%
17+ & 5+ : 16%
16+ & 6+ : 18.75%
15+ & 7+ : 21%
14+ & 8+ : 22.75%
13+ & 9+ : 24%
12+ & 10+ : 24.75%
11+ : 25%

Note that 1+ isn't possible as there's always the chance of failure in a save roll. Also note that the tail ends contain far more possibilities, when being way over or under the meaningful dice range.
Now, supposing all the cases are equally likely, the average increase would be 17.5% across all cases (I added all percentages together (everything two times, except 25%) and divided by 19).

Not that bad actually. Solid 3.5 will save there. I might have undersold the relative usefulness of the feat (which is why running through the math is a good thing), as when we're fighting things in the 18+ to 4+ range, it's worth roughly 2 iron will feats (20.33%). Then again, people very rarely invest their feats into improving a single save when there's more pertinent, proactive bonuses to be had.

Do keep in mind that a low will is one of the easiest weaknesses to circumvent through prudent use of items and spells like clarity and protection from alignment, which you should have an even easier access to through UMD, not needing potions necessarily. Clarity or mind blank even removes the threat of a random 5% screwing you over. Also you're a blackguard, so raising charisma raises all saves, which don't even count towards the +20 cap.

Rivace_Silver

Post by Rivace_Silver » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:15 pm

What do you mean "assume they're equally likely?" please clarify.

no need to dumb down the math, i have a degree in physics. Please provide as in depth as you can go.

just so i am on the same page with the your table here ..
20 : 95% fail normally, 90.25% fail with slippery mind, 4.75% increased chance of success
means if i can only pass the save on a 20.. 95% to fail the first roll and 90.25 to fail both rolls.

You disregarded the roll of 1 too easily .. as i stated in my previous post .. you get that first 1 and you still get a slippery mind roll .. so i think that needs to be included in your calculation.

I think the way you are interpreting the table is missing something .. consider this.. at 11+ you go from 50% to fail to 25% to fail .. you cut your effective failure rate by 50% .. you have half as likely to fail with slippery mind. from 60% to 36% .. still again nearly half as likely. those are odds id be willing to bet on.

So you have effectively identified the curve of benefit. a bell curve also known as a normal distribution. I love the fact that you did all this, and it proves my point. Looking back at my character build.. i have a base will save of 7 .. dark blessing (DB) boosted to 11. which per your table is the peak benefit. (Its almost as if that was intentional....) In spontaneous pvp .. i wont be walking around with the +12 to cha all the time .. with gear id say id add 8 or so .. so im at 15 .. being able to have 2 shots at the 33 DC implode coming my way .. 60% fail normally - 36% with SM .. nearly half as likely to fail the save.

Thats approximately what i was thinking when i chose slippery mind over cripple strike. You are also completely right about there being other ways to work out will save issues. But tragically im a kensai and wands and other tasty morsels of magic items are barred from me. Thank god i can use potions but clarity pots dont last long and .. again .. spontaneous need for will save is what slippery mind defends against most. Im barely takeing any UMD since i cant use wands theres really no need (id be interested in some guidance with this though, if someone knows of a good amount of UMD for a kensai please share) Slippery mind effectively removes any threat of the 5% fail from screwing me over as i mentioned you get the re-roll on a roll of 1 and 1 in 400 says you get a 1 again...

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:21 pm

Perhaps I should've been clearer with the values I outlined, the numbers 20, 19+, 18+, etc don't mean your base will save value, but the roll required to beat a given check. Your will save could be 5 or 27 or 42. All that those numbers are meant to show is that rerolling gives the greatest benefit, in the absolute sense (as if having +5 will), when the roll by itself is 50/50. Say, when your will save is 8 and you need to pass a DC of 19, or it's 26 and the DC is 37. Now you might ask what difference does this "absolute sense" make; Mostly it was just there to compare and contrast the strength of slippery mind with iron will, a feat often thought to be lackluster.

With overwhelmingly good odds, the reroll is a rather nice insurance policy on top of everything else. However, failing a will save is never lethal by itself. A random 5% fail every now and then is usually inconsequential, especially if whatever was causing it is so under powered that it needs you to roll a natural 1 to have any effect to begin with. Now, if we were talking about fortitude saves and you had to weather a storm of save-or-die spells, then the 1-in-400 filter as opposed to 1-in-20 is very sensible. It should be noted that this whole situation is not likely for you if, as you say, your saves are poor to begin with.

In the hard case of overwhelmingly slim odds, the reroll almost never succeeds, just like the first roll and thus shouldn't be relied upon, is what I'm saying (this situation is more likely, with tough opponents and your poor saves).

SEGWAY INTO SYSTEMS DESIGN: Relative percentages do have an important place, best example being attack rolls vs. armor class, where D&D has for the longest time held a system that some game designers would call perverse. Instead of linear or diminishing returns (like most MMOs), raising armor class instead provides increasing returns against attacks, where every additional increase is more and more impactful than the last, at least until you reach the 95% misses mark at which point all increases are meaningless (concering that specific type of enemy). At this point only concealment helps any further.

This type of system favors ultra specialization where you have tanks that grab every point of AC (and concealment, assuming it's available) at the expense of most other things, or by contrast just making characters forget about it completely, as certain builds simply have fewer avenues to raise AC and struggling to get a middling score is usually a fool's errand, when there's stuff like summons, kiting, stealth, crowd-control or damage reduction to be had instead.

Thankfully there are ways to combat this phenomenon though, by having wildly variable attack bonuses amongst different players and monsters (in the same level range), where the percentage of encounters that one is impervious to (or vulnerable) shifts in a controlled fashion as a function of defense values.

The other obvious way is to have several additional "defense stats", like discipline, spell resistance, 3 different saves and even HP itself. Having different attacks target and/or ignore some defenses requires most characters to be at least mindful of these values, and very few builds can meaningfully excel at them all. And if they can, they should be gimped offense-wise as a consequence.

Rivace_Silver

Post by Rivace_Silver » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:10 am

Maybe you are right, and I am placing an unrealistic burden on slippery mind to compensate for my tragic will save. But would taking crippling strike really have a noticeable effect for a twohand Str Rogue?

"Concealment"
That is the next thing I need to do. How does one such as a Kensai R/F/BG .. get concealment. Are there any armor or mundane options for concealment?

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:17 am

None that I know of, unless the Displacer Beast Cloak counts as mundane? Which I sort of doubt.

rookie

Post by rookie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:38 am

The displacer cloak does not have the mundane tag sadly.

You could get a wizard to make you potions of displacement maybe but those would be pretty short duration. I've heard that the Dust of Disappearance (improved invis) made from Alchemy is mundane, I know the Dust of Appearance is. Don't have an easy way to confirm or deny though.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:15 am

Crafted (or looted) dust of disappearance is mundane.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:52 am

I always forget about the dusts.

Rivace_Silver

Post by Rivace_Silver » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:42 pm

oh wow .. thats right!!

the dusts are purchasable from a certain merchant i believe... ill have to go check that out!

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:08 pm

The purchasable dusts are not mundane (though like all mundane items that have non-mundane versions out there... the mundane and non-mundane varieties stack together and take or lose tags depending on which was in the parent stack that the newly-added items join).